Out of the loop - which console (if any)?

WildW_UK

I haven't touched modern consoles in a long time now. I was thinking it would be nice to play games more with my partner in the living room and I'm not sure what to choose, or if modern consoles are anything like I imagine. We've played older stuff (360/PS3 era) but it would be nice to move to newer things - I'm thinking couch co-op games really, more indie games than AAA titles. What are consoles like now?

We have a media PC and have played some things via Steam with controllers (e.g. Portal Knights recently) but it doesn't have that nice storefront with free demos of everything XBox Live feel to it. With the new XBox coming soon it has crossed my mind to go for that - I like the idea of lots of backwards compatibility, picking up some remastered classics, being able to download random multiplayer XBox games like the XBox Live Arcade days... I heard XBox Live Arcade is gone now. . .are there still fun "small" games on the XBox or is it all big single player things now? I looked at all the XBox one console bundles and they all ship with AAA single player games - if I was interested in those I'd play them on PC.

Does what I want exist on any console? If I buy one to play couch co-op randomness will I be disappointed?

If you want to have that storefront xbox feel get xbox game pass. A buttload of games for a couple $ a month. The current xbox pretty much has no exclusives as all is ported or is being ported to windows so you can just keep using your computer to play. The only console that is still somewhat focused on local coop is the nintendo switch as nintendo themselves is still releasing some of those games. Xbox and playstation doesn't really put much if any effort in local coop anymore so it's up to the indies and pretty much all of those are on steam. The 7th gen of consoles were still focused on local co-op.

Another hidden gem of a console for local co-op fun is the Wii U. It has a ton of first party games that are focused on local co-op and wii u's can be had for real cheap now. They are also very easy to homebrew so you can run any games from any nintendo console before it without a hitch.

Sounds like a nintendo switch would be more up your alley than an xbox

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

27 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Sounds like a nintendo switch would be more up your alley than an xbox

I know this, and I know you're right, but. . . . I'm that guy that's waiting for the console-only version they'll never do, because as a driving adult I have no need for a portable system or to pay for the screen. And my god the games are expensive.

I think I actually want a fictional XBox or Playstation that has wireless controllers, HDMI output, and a store that has digital versions of every XBox/360 or PS1/PS2 game. I would've bought a PS4 years ago if it just played PS1 games, but apparently emulators are hard.

1 hour ago, WildW_UK said:

I haven't touched modern consoles in a long time now. I was thinking it would be nice to play games more with my partner in the living room and I'm not sure what to choose, or if modern consoles are anything like I imagine. We've played older stuff (360/PS3 era) but it would be nice to move to newer things - I'm thinking couch co-op games really, more indie games than AAA titles. What are consoles like now?

We have a media PC and have played some things via Steam with controllers (e.g. Portal Knights recently) but it doesn't have that nice storefront with free demos of everything XBox Live feel to it. With the new XBox coming soon it has crossed my mind to go for that - I like the idea of lots of backwards compatibility, picking up some remastered classics, being able to download random multiplayer XBox games like the XBox Live Arcade days... I heard XBox Live Arcade is gone now. . .are there still fun "small" games on the XBox or is it all big single player things now? I looked at all the XBox one console bundles and they all ship with AAA single player games - if I was interested in those I'd play them on PC.

Does what I want exist on any console? If I buy one to play couch co-op randomness will I be disappointed?

Depends, the only thing Sony has over the Xbox is exclusives which in my own opinion are worse versions of 3rd party titles. Xbox has a few like Forza and Halo though. The XSX will be more powerful than the PS5, looks like it will be better thermally (and acoustics wise), has a better controller and had a design that'll fit into most TV consoles. Oh and it has a bigger SSD. The PS5 only has 825GB whereas the XSX is 1TB and the XSX has expansion memory cards i wanna call them whereas the PS5 you'll have to buy PCIE 4.0 NVME SSDs.

Backwards compatibility wise the XSX is head and shoulders above the PS5 and they have game pass which is great to have access to a lot of games for a monthly fee, means you'll have to buy fewer games and be able to try games you wouldn't have because they'd cost like £30 or something. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?