R5 3600 OC

so ive had this pc for 2 months now and i noticed my cpu temps spike up alot like the temp would be 50 for example and then out of a sudden it would change to 62 for example. so i decided to remove the 4.2ghz oc on my r5 3600 to check the temps and not only did the temps get better by a large margin, my fps also increased a bit when i compared 4.2ghz and 3.6 ghz on ac odyssey. On 4.2 ghz my average fps was 69 and on 3.6 my avg fps was 72. what does this indicate? is my cooler not good or is my cpu idk faulty? and should i do more tests comparing both in terms of FPS cause thats all i care about.

Specs:

GIGABYTE GAMING OC 8G RTX 2080 SUPER stock speeds driver version 451.67

16gb ram ddr4 3000mhz XMP on

ryzen 5 3600(GIGABYTE ATC800 RGB COOLER)

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

CoolerMaster MB520 TG case with 3 front fans and 1 rear fan.

Corsair TX650M PSU 

Windows 10 V.1909 on Samsung 970 evo plus ssd

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

I forgot what the term is when you overclock your CPU and lose performance (calling @ShrimpBrime), but it can happen.

yeah but what does it indicate? poor cooling solution? faulty cpu i need any suggestion

Usually it's starved of power so it can't boost as high, making the performance overall worse

Here's a Gamers Nexus video about it

5 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I forgot what the term is when you overclock your CPU and lose performance (calling @ShrimpBrime), but it can happen.

Generally diminishing returns.....

@InfernalClaw

When you removed your manual OC, and put the system back to stock, it is likely the Cpu was boosting past your manual overclock, but not by much.

I mean 69-72 fps average would be really close to margin of errors.

These chips are really good for self boosting and power efficiency. There's almost no point to manually overclock unless you are benchmarking for arbitrary numbers..... like what I do.

Ryzen cpus get something called clock stretching when you push them too hard with too little voltage. Clock stretching exists so to improve stability in very heavy workloads, but also makes unstable overclocks much slower. What voltage are you using with this overclock? (Check the SVI2 TFN sensor in HWINFO64)

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Generally diminishing returns.....

@InfernalClaw

When you removed your manual OC, and put the system back to stock, it is likely the Cpu was boosting past your manual overclock, but not by much.

I mean 69-72 fps average would be really close to margin of errors.

These chips are really good for self boosting and power efficiency. There's almost no point to manually overclock unless you are benchmarking for arbitrary numbers..... like what I do.

ok guess ill just stay on 3.6ghz. for now im also comparing in other games. Thank you!

Just now, alatron978 said:

Ryzen cpus get something called clock stretching when you push them too hard with too little voltage. Clock stretching exists so to improve stability in very heavy workloads, but also makes unstable overclocks much slower. What voltage are you using with this overclock? (Check the SVI2 TFN sensor in HWINFO64)

when i oced it i never changed voltage cuz idk shit in voltage. this is my voltage on 3.6ghz image.png.3d6f70a7e4340b1dddea09e912b02c1c.png

I noticed on my rigs the reference clock (FSB) or bus clocks droop to accommodate. 

Generally see 99mhz or a little fluctuation, I've seen mine dip into about 88,89, 92mhz for example.

Not familiar with the term clock stretching though. Gotta link I can read up on that?

1 minute ago, InfernalClaw said:

when i oced it i never changed voltage cuz idk shit in voltage. this is my voltage on 3.6ghz image.png.3d6f70a7e4340b1dddea09e912b02c1c.png

VID isn't voltage, check the SVI2 TFN sensor in HWINFO64. If you do not know anything about voltage DO NOT OVERCLOCK your cpu or you will probably kill it. Overclocking isn't something to mess with, only do it once you know what you are doing or you'll have a pile of dead hardware.

2 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

ok guess ill just stay on 3.6ghz. for now im also comparing in other games. Thank you!

Yea, just let the system control the chip. 

You can play with it a little here and there.

SenseMi offset

Performance enhancer

Or what ever automatic OC features you board names them. (those are what I use in my ROG board)

If Ryzen Master will let you, you can check the EDC and PPT limits and capabilities of the board.

Noticed raising the EDC helps with boosts 50-100mhz depeding on them load temps for sure. 

VID isn't voltage, check the SVI2 TFN sensor in HWINFO64. If you do not know anything about voltage DO NOT OVERCLOCK your cpu or you will probably kill it. Overclocking isn't something to mess with, only do it once you know what you are doing or you'll have a pile of dead hardware.

im sorry i dont know where that sensor is can you help me find it please?

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I noticed on my rigs the reference clock (FSB) or bus clocks droop to accommodate. 

Generally see 99mhz or a little fluctuation, I've seen mine dip into about 88,89, 92mhz for example.

Not familiar with the term clock stretching though. Gotta link I can read up on that?

The BCLK dropping is due to spread spectrum. Many countries mandate that electronics don't always run at the same frequency for reasons, so boards have something called spread spectrum which changes the BCLK by a few ticks in each direction many of times per second.

Just now, InfernalClaw said:

im sorry i dont know where that sensor is can you help me find it please?

Download hwinfo64 and look for it.

The BCLK dropping is due to spread spectrum. Many countries mandate that electronics don't always run at the same frequency for reasons, so boards have something called spread spectrum which changes the BCLK by a few ticks in each direction many of times per second.

I'm familiar with overclocking. Spread spectrum is generally off by default on my ROG boards, I always double check.

I really meant under-volting droops the reference clock drastically. Might have a screen shot for demo somewhere around here, but don't want to throw this thread too far off track. 

We may not be speaking every one's language here.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Yea, just let the system control the chip. 

You can play with it a little here and there.

SenseMi offset

Performance enhancer

Or what ever automatic OC features you board names them. (those are what I use in my ROG board)

If Ryzen Master will let you, you can check the EDC and PPT limits and capabilities of the board.

Noticed raising the EDC helps with boosts 50-100mhz depeding on them load temps for sure. 

there is pbo its set to auto but my cpu doesnt get higher than 3.6 ghz that because i set the clock ratio to 36 so i think it cant go past that. i dont know how to enable it to actually work and go past 3.6ghz can you help me with that

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm familiar with overclocking. Spread spectrum is generally off by default on my ROG boards, I always double check.

I really meant under-volting droops the reference clock drastically. Might have a screen shot for demo somewhere around here, but don't want to throw this thread too far off track. 

We may not be speaking every one's language here.

Undervolting dropping the BCLK clock is very much not normal.

there is pbo its set to auto but my cpu doesnt get higher than 3.6 ghz that because i set the clock ratio to 36 so i think it cant go past that. i dont know how to enable it to actually work and go past 3.6ghz can you help me with that

Well sure. pretty easy.

The very last or second to last tab in bios, you'll have a selection that should say "reset all defaults" or similar wording. Click that and the board sets everything back to stock.

You will need to set up your memories XMP profile again however, but the Cpu should boost normally afterwards.

Also, even if you set 3.6ghz multi, the Cpu just looks at it as a P-state multiplier (Power state) and may ignore the setting. I'm pretty sure your Cpu was boosting because of the FPS comparisons you've shown us.

2 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

Reset bios to optimized defaults then enable XMP. Then if you want to overclock do some research on the subject, and don't only dive into CPU overclock. RAM overclocking gives you much more performance with current gen intel and amd chips.

1 minute ago, alatron978 said:

Undervolting dropping the BCLK clock is very much not normal.

I've done lots of experiments. My 2700X is also de-lidded. Ran it under a TEC at -30c direct chilling. Now it's in the family HTPC doing 4K gaming and video playback :)

1 minute ago, alatron978 said:

Reset bios to optimized defaults then enable XMP. Then if you want to overclock do some research on the subject, and don't only dive into CPU overclock. RAM overclocking gives you much more performance with current gen intel and amd chips.

image.png.8034390dd85d394cd325a594d36174ac.pngim sorry i couldnt find it this is what i found its probably not exactly what you wanted but i really didnt find the sensor you asked for im sorry

1 minute ago, InfernalClaw said:

image.png.8034390dd85d394cd325a594d36174ac.pngim sorry i couldnt find it this is what i found its probably not exactly what you wanted but i really didnt find the sensor you asked for im sorry

That is still VID, when HWINFO64 boots tick sensors-only and look for "SVI2 TFN". It is the voltage across the negative and positive voltage supply to your cpu, aka, its the voltage at your CPU.

Here you go. 

edit: oh, he's already got it XD. sry.

hwi_628.exe

3 minutes ago, alatron978 said:

That is still VID, when HWINFO64 boots tick sensors-only and look for "SVI2 TFN". It is the voltage across the negative and positive voltage supply to your cpu, aka, its the voltage at your CPU.

this?image.png.4a926e64f8d09f8643346c2cd89d6339.png

this?image.png.4a926e64f8d09f8643346c2cd89d6339.png

That is the SOC voltage, not core.

The lower left there's an arrow. 

Click it 3 times, expand the entire screen and just show the whole thing :P