8 pin PCIE Cable Question

pwharris93

Hello, 

I am new to the forums and not sure if this is the right place to post.

I am doing a budget build for a buddy and got a really good deal on a Rocketfish RF-500WPS2 PSU.

The problem I'm having is the 8 pin PCIE slot. Am I just not looking for the right cable? I can't seem to find one online that has the pin out. If you can see from the pictures the top left and right are square and the bottom middle 2 are square.

20200720_090753.jpg

20200720_090837.jpg

Each power supply has custom pin-outs so you'd need cables from the EXACT same model - otherwise - you'll kill a lot of hardware very quickly.

Also - that power supply is very shit quality and I would never bring it anywhere close to any PC i give a damn about.

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Each power supply has custom pin-outs so you'd need cables from the EXACT same model - otherwise - you'll kill a lot of hardware very quickly.

Also - that power supply is very shit quality and I would never bring it anywhere close to any PC i give a damn about.

Rocketfish? More like Rocketfried as that's how quick that PSU will burn your components. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

That's a terrible PSU, and it requires specific cables like most fully or semi modular PSUs. An 8pin pcie from another PSU may not work. It should have came with the correct cables unless you bought it used, and in that case you're in an even worse boat.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

6 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

That's a terrible PSU, and it requires specific cables like most fully modular PSUs. An 8pin pcie from another PSU may not work. It should have came with the correct cables unless you bought it used, and in that case you're in an even worse boat.

If he bought it used without cables, I'd put a call through to the Chernobyl clean-up squad

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

If he bought it used without cables, I'd put a call through to the Chernobyl clean-up squad

For real. It must have been really cheap because they were like $40 brand new, and it's been discontinued for years. It has to be used, it looks like it's pretty dirty in the picture and since OP doesn't have the cables, it's the most likely possibility. Not dissing on OP but most experienced builders know that buying a used PSU is not the best idea, even more so if it doesn't have all the cables.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

When I mean budget build. I literally spent less the $75 on all components combined. What I'm gathering is nobody makes that 8 pin PCIE except for the manufacturer.

1 minute ago, pwharris93 said:

When I mean budget build. I literally spent less the $75 on all components combined. What I'm gathering is nobody makes that 8 pin PCIE except for the manufacturer.

RocketFish is a house brand for Best Buy. I don't think they've sold RocketFish PC power supplies for like... 10 years? You won't be able to get any replacement cables from them.

Using a multimeter you could find the pinout the PSU uses for the connector and depending on the pinout it might be possible to find a different power supply that uses the same cables, but it's honestly not worth the effort for such an old power supply. The cost of buying replacement cables would be more than what the PSU is worth. Failing that you can rip it open and solder the cables directly to the +12V and ground on the PSU, but again not really worth the time or effort.

Alternatively if the system you're building has integrated graphics you could use the PSU without the graphics card and PCIe cables. You would still need SATA power cables for any drives though, I'm not sure if those were included when you bought the PSU or not. Assuming the PSU even works.

What specs are in the PC you are building?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

RocketFish is a house brand for Best Buy. I don't think they've sold RocketFish PC power supplies for like... 10 years? You won't be able to get any replacement cables from them.

Using a multimeter you could find the pinout the PSU uses for the connector and depending on the pinout it might be possible to find a different power supply that uses the same cables, but it's honestly not worth the effort for such an old power supply. The cost of buying replacement cables would be more than what the PSU is worth. Failing that you can rip it open and solder the cables directly to the +12V and ground on the PSU, but again not really worth the time or effort.

Alternatively if the system you're building has integrated graphics you could use the PSU without the graphics card and PCIe cables. You would still need SATA power cables for any drives though, I'm not sure if those were included when you bought the PSU or not. Assuming the PSU even works.

What specs are in the PC you are building?

I'll probably just use it for another project that doest require PCIE power and buy a cheap EVGA PSU.

Dell Optiplex 990

Intel i5 3470

AMD RX 480 

1 hour ago, pwharris93 said:

I am doing a budget build for a buddy and got a really good deal on a Rocketfish RF-500WPS2 PSU.

That's like saying "I got a real good deal on a Yugo.... without an engine."

Return it, if you can, and try again.

1 minute ago, pwharris93 said:

I'll probably just use it for another project that doest require PCIE power and buy a cheap EVGA PSU.

Just don't buy the EVGA N1. That's probably worse than the rocketfish PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, pwharris93 said:

A "cheap" EVGA isn't any better.

Why are you so determined to kill your friend's PC?

57 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

A "cheap" EVGA isn't any better.

Why are you so determined to kill your friend's PC?

Probably get the Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ or EVGA 500 BR 100-BR-0500-K1 500W.

28 minutes ago, pwharris93 said:

I would get the BR over the Smart

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

47 minutes ago, pwharris93 said:

The "Smart" is also garbage.

The BR is much better.  Still not a very good PSU, but shouldn't explode and take out all of the hardware.