GTX 780 doesn't feel its running 100%

never_here

I've had my gtx 780 for years now, and generally has been a great experience.  But recently, i've been plagued with terrible performance that cannot be explained.  PS, my PC is a windows 10, updated, iintel 3570k, OC, 16GB ddr3 RAM, OS on Samsung 256GB pro SSD, games on 1tb non-pro samsung ssd, with MSI gtx 780 Lightning edition.

Games use to run perfectly smooth.  And most low powered games like Dota, CS, Valorant, and etc runs great.  But once i play demanding games like Warzone, PubG, Farcry, it starts dying hard. 

The weird issue is, there are times i can run the game around 90FPS, and it'll be great.  But due to game updates, where can lead to being less optimized, i can only play around 40fps.  But PUBG is where it gets weird, i run around 70FPS, and it generally feels like i'm playing at 25fps.  However, there are people out there who can play PubG over 120FPS in low settings, where my max is around 80FPS at 720p, lowest settings. 

Can anyone explain this? I'm not sure why my games are running significant slower than others.  My pc is clean, with a powerful PSU (1000w), and a Noctua DH-14 CPU cooler as well.  

I dont mind quality of games that much, as i much prefer smoothness and high framerates over texture quality.  i run a 1440p monitor with G-SYNC as well.  Thought my GPU isn't 1440p friendly, i usually lower resolution to 1080p on demanding games as well if the framerates improve significantly.

I'm not sure if its a windows thing, or other stuff, but appreciate any help.  Thanks!

dont watch videos where they play games. you are both limited by your cpu and gpu sadly and they are not the best 

10 hours ago, never_here said:

i run a 1440p monitor with G-SYNC as well

yea that does not help the gpu what so ever.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, never_here said:

Can anyone explain this? I'm not sure why my games are running significant slower than others.  My pc is clean, with a powerful PSU (1000w), and a Noctua DH-14 CPU cooler as well.  

I'd say the culprit is your CPU, Warzone and PubG are highly CPU intensive, if you want to check how much your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU you can check the CPU and GPU utilization, if the CPU is at 100% and the GPU is lower than 100% then there is a bottleneck involved.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

CPU and GPU utilization and temps?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Syn. said:

I'd say the culprit is your CPU, Warzone and PubG are highly CPU intensive, if you want to check how much your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU you can check the CPU and GPU utilization, if the CPU is at 100% and the GPU is lower than 100% then there is a bottleneck involved.

Hm, that can explain a lot.  I do remember my CPU is maxed out, but my GPU is usually at 100% as well.

9 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

CPU and GPU utilization and temps?

CPU is usually 60C, GPU is around 65-70C.  Utilization is around 100% mostly.  

12 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

dont watch videos where they play games. you are both limited by your cpu and gpu sadly and they are not the best 

thats unfortunate.  

So at this point, IF i wanted to play games like PUBG, or Warzone, would it be more beneficial to get a new PC with new cpu, mobo, ram, OR, a new GPU.  I cant afford to spend too much money during this time, so a fresh new PC wouldn't work well for me. 

PS thanks for response!

10 hours ago, never_here said:

beneficial to get a new PC with new cpu, mobo, ram, OR, a new GPU

probably both, you can get a 3770/k  and that will definitely help a lot. 

as for the gpu, depends on your budget and if you can wait. 

though the most logical thing to do, is to wait for ampere and big navi and zen 3 and then decide if you want to switch your platform   

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

25 minutes ago, never_here said:

I've had my gtx 780 for years now, and generally has been a great experience.  But recently, i've been plagued with terrible performance that cannot be explained.  PS, my PC is a windows 10, updated, iintel 3570k, OC, 16GB ddr3 RAM, OS on Samsung 256GB pro SSD, games on 1tb non-pro samsung ssd, with MSI gtx 780 Lightning edition.

Games use to run perfectly smooth.  And most low powered games like Dota, CS, Valorant, and etc runs great.  But once i play demanding games like Warzone, PubG, Farcry, it starts dying hard. 

The weird issue is, there are times i can run the game around 90FPS, and it'll be great.  But due to game updates, where can lead to being less optimized, i can only play around 40fps.  But PUBG is where it gets weird, i run around 70FPS, and it generally feels like i'm playing at 25fps.  However, there are people out there who can play PubG over 120FPS in low settings, where my max is around 80FPS at 720p, lowest settings. 

I dont mind quality of games that much, as i much prefer smoothness and high framerates over texture quality.  i run a 1440p monitor with G-SYNC as well.  Thought my GPU isn't 1440p friendly, i usually lower resolution to 1080p on demanding games as well if the framerates improve significantly.

I'm not sure if its a windows thing, or other stuff, but appreciate any help.  Thanks!

Ah, a fellow GTX 780. What this card is crippled by is the 3 GB of VRAM. Check out the VRAM usage by logging with HWiNFO. It can typically be resolved by reducing the texture quality in game options. Maybe they've updated recently for higher quality textures?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

16 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

probably both, you can get a 3770/k  and that will definitely help a lot. 

as for the gpu, depends on your budget and if you can wait. 

though the most logical thing to do, is to wait for ampere and big navi and zen 3 and then decide if you want to switch your platform   

welllll, thats unfortunate.  Guess i'll just wait to see whats to come.  Probably pick up a GPU first.  I hope good stuff is coming.

22 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Ah, a fellow GTX 780. What this card is crippled by is the 3 GB of VRAM. Check out the VRAM usage by logging with HWiNFO. It can typically be resolved by reducing the texture quality in game options. Maybe they've updated recently for higher quality textures?

Ya, the 3GB ram is absolutely crappy.  On older titles, it was absolutely limiting, but on newer titles, its been less of an issue.  It seems games wont even let me use 3GB of VRAM as i'm forced to play lowest settings on everything to get acceptable frame rates.  it is nice that i can up the texture a lot, but it lowers my fps by 3-5 per quality upgrade option.  It adds up quite quickly.  

I did notice that by changing the power management from the Nvidia control panel did help a lot.  Despite the framerates are the same, the game is much more playable.  It was on "Optimal" before.  I also adjusted the 3d settings to Performance instead of Quality.  Now 60FPS actually looks like 60FPS, but there are still lots of stutters that makes playing Pubg extremely frustrating.  (nothing like unable to shoot a guy because it stutters when i see people)