FLT 120, 240, or 360 pump/res to put in Fractal Design Define 7?

I'm planning a custom loop inside the Fractal Design Define 7 (NON xl version). I want to go with an EKWB pump/res FLT series for my res/pump, and there are three size options. I just want to know which would be the best fit inside this case. There's the 120, 240, and 360. Thanks!

Depends on where you want to put it really.

It's a big case. It should be fine even at 360.

But again, depending on how you lay out your loop.

9 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I mean, it is only a mid-tower ATX. Keep in mind I'm not going with the XL version of it. I'm gonna have one 360 PE radiator on the front of the case, and a 360 SE on the top of the case. I'll probably have my pump/res going vertically, to the right of the motherboard.

5 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Also, this is probably a super dumb question, but how does res size actually effect watercooling performance for the loop?

18 minutes ago, Duranson said:

Also, this is probably a super dumb question, but how does res size actually effect watercooling performance for the loop?

Does not affect the performance. Only time until equilibrium is reached.

Just now, For Science! said:

Does not affect the performance. Only time until equilibrium is reached.

What does this mean? Also, do you have an answer to my question above?

5 hours ago, Duranson said:

I'm planning a custom loop inside the Fractal Design Define 7 (NON xl version). I want to go with an EKWB pump/res FLT series for my res/pump, and there are three size options. I just want to know which would be the best fit inside this case. There's the 120, 240, and 360. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Duranson said:

I mean, it is only a mid-tower ATX. Keep in mind I'm not going with the XL version of it. I'm gonna have one 360 PE radiator on the front of the case, and a 360 SE on the top of the case. I'll probably have my pump/res going vertically, to the right of the motherboard.

7 minutes ago, Duranson said:

What does this mean? Also, do you have an answer to my question above?

The size of the reservoir does not affect the performance as it does not contribute anything in terms of heat dissipation surface area. What it does do is increase the total volume of liquid in your loop, and therefore the time until the system reaches equilibrium.

Think about heating a small pot of water with a gas stove vs a big pot of water over a gas stove. Both of them will eventually reach boiling, as the ability of the pot to dissipate the heat it neglible (And both are being overwhelmed by the heat source), however the small pot of water will boil before the big pot of water as there is less water to heat up.

So for a PC, if under gaming, your equilibrum temperature for the fluid may be 45 degrees. A system with a small reservoir may reach that in 10 minutes, but a system with a larger reservoir may hold out for an additional 5 minutes before getting there. It just affects how long it takes to reach a "steady load temperature" but not the final temperature.

Therefore what a 'good fit' is is arguably a bad question in this case as the 'most compatible' will be the 120 by default. AS the Define 7 unllike the S-series does not have mounting on the beauty panel, honestly, the FLT series are not a good choice for the Define 7.

Just now, Duranson said:

Why not? Would something like this https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-rgb-pwm-incl-sl-pump be a better choice? I really like the look of the FLT series but obviously I want to get what's best for my system.

I think you need to have a deep think as to what you are capable of doing in terms of planning and execution. This is a custom loop afterall, not everything I see as pretty or ugly is the same for you. Furthermore, just because I may be able to plan and pull off a certain set of hardware does not mean that you will be able to.

Either the FLT or the tube pump/res combo will perform the same, its just a matter of what you are capable of doing and pulling it off at the same time as making it look good.

13 hours ago, Duranson said:

So something to think about, I didn't, but kinda lucked out imo.  I have the FLT240, in a phanteks enthoo elite - similar case size I think.

The fittings on the FLT res, can be placed on the front, or bottom of the res, if you use the bottom (which IMO looks better), you can add another 20mm or so to the overall length.  It actually makes the 240, or 360 quite a bit larger.

Had I gone 360; I don't think I could've put fittings on the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

To give you an idea how much space is left once you've installed a rad on top and in front in a define 7.

This is mine, that's the ek d5 pwm pump that was posted earlier

IMG_20200622_201331.jpg

27 minutes ago, Muzza1742 said:

To give you an idea how much space is left once you've installed a rad on top and in front in a define 7.

This is mine, that's the ek d5 pwm pump that was posted earlier

Is this a PE360 + CE280 from EKWB?