WEIRD OVER CLOCKING ISSUE

Hello Everyone,

I'm experiencing a somewhat weird issue. 

Whenever i use 120mm fan (4pin) my pc shuts itself off whenever i do a stress test. Temps are around 75 degrees.

But, when I use a stock intel cooler, the old ang noisy one, 4,400 rpm is the highest that i've seen it spin. It does not shut itself off even though, it gets the same temp. Around 75. ( i removed it from the stock heatsink ang placed it in a better heatsink with 6 heat pipes) and to clarify, 75 degrees is when under load in aida64 or cinebench. I get around 43 when idle.

I am using a xeon  x3440 over clocked to 3.8 Ghz. 1.3 vcore and 1.22 vtt. on an asus h7p55-m motherboard. 

O know it's not the power because the OC is very stable when using the stock intel fan. It even lets me go up to 4GHz with higher voltages, without any issues.

I'm thinking it's some kind of security feature that I dont know in the processor, or the motherboard thinks that since it's not getting enough rpm on the 120mm, but cpu temp is good with the current clock speed, that there is a fan failure then shuts itself off. I tried ignoring all HW monitor in the bios but no go.

I appreciate the any advise that you could give. Thanks!

Clear the cmos and try plugging the fan. 

Try s different header if possible. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I wonder if it's not the CPU but your VRMs. The Intel stock cooler forces a lot more air down around the CPU socket than a tower cooler does. If your VRMs are getting too toasty this would make sense.

I hope that's the case. The intel fan is now facing sideways like an after market coller fan would.since i removed it from the stock heatsink ang placed it in a better heatsink with 6 heat pipes. I've also tried pointing fans at the VRMs directly but it did nothing at all.

For how old the motherboard is I wouldn't rule out that the problem could be mounting pressure. Too much in combination with thermal expansion might cause misalignment with the pins in the socket causing a shutdown.

I've had waterblocks where touching it during operation would cause the system to lockup.

Update: Resetting CMOS didn't resolve the issue. I'm certain that the reset happened since it asked to me to set up the time and date of the bios. Funny thing is I tried tricking my motherboard by plugging in the old intel cooler but it's out of the case ( so there is no way for it affect cooling) then connected the actual CPU cooler to the fan chassis header. Guess what? It did not shut down.

46 minutes ago, s0rter said:

Update: Resetting CMOS didn't resolve the issue. I'm certain that the reset happened since it asked to me to set up the time and date of the bios. Funny thing is I tried tricking my motherboard by plugging in the old intel cooler but it's out of the case ( so there is no way for it affect cooling) then connected the actual CPU cooler to the fan chassis header. Guess what? It did not shut down.

I believe there is a BIOS setting for reporting CPU fan RPM. It mentions am alarm but I haven't any idea what this alarm is but I doubt it shuts down the PC.

What it sounds like now is it has something to do with reporting CPU fan. I wonder if you tell the BIOS to ignore the fan RPM, or if the fan fails if that will solve the problem.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I believe there is a BIOS setting for reporting CPU fan RPM. It mentions am alarm but I haven't any idea what this alarm is but I doubt it shuts down the PC.

What it sounds like now is it has something to do with reporting CPU fan. I wonder if you tell the BIOS to ignore the fan RPM, or if the fan fails if that will solve the problem.

I've set the all hardware monitoring in the bios to ignore. But, it's still shutting down. I've even tried removing the 3rd and 4th wire from the cpu fan connector for it not to report it's speed and just get power from the header but it still shuts down. I have the lasted bios version of this motherboard and I've loosen the cpu mount, since it was kinda bending the motherboard. It's now straight and the heatsink is still getting a good contact with the CPU. Same temps, but it's still shutting down. This is really odd.

Just now, s0rter said:

I've set the all hardware monitoring in the bios to ignore. But, it's still shutting down. I've even tried removing the 3rd and 4th wire from the cpu fan connector for it not to report it's speed and just get power from the header but it still shuts down. I have the lasted bios version of this motherboard and I've loosen the cpu mount, since it was kinda bending the motherboard. It's now straight and the heatsink is still getting a good contact with the CPU. Same temps, but it's still shutting down. This is really odd.

If you do your experiment again of connecting the stock cooler fan outside the chassis do you get repeatable results? If you do I would try leaving the CPU header disconnected and seeing if using other headers or just strait off the PSU yields better results.

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you do your experiment again of connecting the stock cooler fan outside the chassis do you get repeatable results? If you do I would try leaving the CPU header disconnected and seeing if using other headers or just strait off the PSU yields better results.

I'll try it again.. Thanks!

@Windows7ge It was the VRMs all along! Sorry for wasting your time. I was pointing fans at the vrm before but maybe it's not hitting the right spot. I decided to take it all from the case then tried again, and it did it. Thank you very much!

31 minutes ago, s0rter said:

@Windows7ge It was the VRMs all along! Sorry for wasting your time. I was pointing fans at the vrm before but maybe it's not hitting the right spot. I decided to take it all from the case then tried again, and it did it. Thank you very much!

Nah, you're good. That's what we're here for.

Depending on the chassis pointing a fan at the VRMs isn't always easy but see if you can fit a small one in there somewhere and see what it does for you.

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Nah, you're good. That's what we're here for.

Depending on the chassis pointing a fan at the VRMs isn't always easy but see if you can fit a small one in there somewhere and see what it does for you.

Will do. Thanks again!