Condensation and OTT cooling

Probably belongs in cooling, but I was more spewing thoughts for discussion.

I have seen several videos now that feature extreme cooling, I have even had crazy cooling ideas myself, such as cooling with fluids under pressure, such as butane, in the same way a fridge or freezer works.

Regardless of the method, extreme cooling suffers with the problem of condensation.

Having ADHD, I often struggle with sleeping, due to my brain not shutting up, and recently, a couple of those nights of sleep have been hindered by this issue.

One of the ideas I had was to build a dehumidifier into the case, to pull all the water out the air in the case, however, with the air being constantly replenished, it would probably be in vain.

I also wondered if the motherboard could be completely isolated. Anything that produces heat can have the heat carried away via liquid cooling, so it must be possible to box the motherboard in, with an airtight seal, and flush any moisture out.

Sub zero electronics are a thing in universities, so there must be a simple solution.

If I had the money, I would love to experiment with this.

Well you can go sub zero on anything if you dump your pc into a liquid that is not conductive and can handle sub zero temps.

the biggest issue is that computers don't REALLY need to be that cold

Most components will run fine and boost fine at 70c. The only reason to superchill parts is if you run them past their spec. If the machine is running to spec then it never needs anything beyond normal cooling methods

I am just thinking out loud, but how about having mineral oil aquarium cooling, but having the oil being cooled down to zero or subzero?

Or, having whole system completely sealed, having all components being in this near zero/subzero ecosystem, and having the radiator (or whatever the method of extracting the heat energy out) being outside said sealed ecosystem? So any condensation (due to difference in temperatures) will happen near radiator = outside?

Intel i5-750@4GHz // ASUS Strix-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5@1410MHz core, 7600MHz VRAM // Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3@1600MHz
ASUS P7P55D-E // Enermax PRO87+ 450W GOLD

God no! Heavy humidity will destroy the component sooner.

You want the inside of your PC to be as dry as possible.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

35 minutes ago, emosun said:

the biggest issue is that computers don't REALLY need to be that cold

Most components will run fine and boost fine at 70c. The only reason to superchill parts is if you run them past their spec. If the machine is running to spec then it never needs anything beyond normal cooling methods

They don't "need" to, but it is fun to speculate, and if you have the means, to actually do it, it's even more fun to say "Hey, I got this PC running stable at -50,  with no condensation issues".

No one needs a turbojet BBQ, or a pulsejet kettle, but Colin Furze built them anyway.

This isn't for any other reason, other than it is cool. (No pun intended)

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I d say, better cool down the whole room. An A/C can go to 14-17 minimum, but if you manage to put in a way to directly blow in the case, that's another story. If the whole room is cool you won't have condensation issues. A fridge is not enough, Linus have already tested it, I don't know if you have access to a slaughterhouse fridge :D

My previous idea was actually improvement of the FRIDGE experiment ... They had the whole system in a fridge, which is like 300-500W of heat to dissipate. Of course, it didn´t worked. HOWEVER, if you had liquid cooling on both CPU and GPU (possibly MTB as well) and put radiators outside, THEN in theory most of the heat should be taken out of the system via liquid, and only secondary heat would be taken care of by fridge itself . That might work no?
Also, you don´t need dehumidifier machine in closed ecosystem, once you dry it, it stays dry as long as there is no leaks. Maybe even those gel capsules from your shoes might work for some time :D

The 2nd idea of mineral oil aquarium might be more practical, however I really don´t know it the mineral being less viscose than air, would not create "heat spots", and how would it react to being near/sub zero cooled ...

Any thoughts? :)

Intel i5-750@4GHz // ASUS Strix-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5@1410MHz core, 7600MHz VRAM // Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3@1600MHz
ASUS P7P55D-E // Enermax PRO87+ 450W GOLD

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

I hate the methodology of that video