Shcoolmate's first gaming PC.

A school mate came visiting the school's computer club today, and saw us playing command and conquer during our free period and got intrested, and since he plans to join the Computer Club he needed a PC. His budget is $800 sgd ($450 usd) and this was the best I could do. I hope it's balanced and works for him. 

Note : thanks for the advice and guidance from all members of the forum.

System Name : Ghost

Budget : $800

System Cost : $798 (sgd) - ($450 usd)

Games installed : Command and conquer remastered, smite, rocket league, Dirt 4, csgo

(All games are free except command and conquer.) 

Case: Tecware Forge M - (Mesh edition) (comes with 4 case fans) white

Ryzen R5 3300X + reference cooler (wraith stealth) 

Msi B450m mortar titanium (cheapest b450m left) - bios updated

G.skill Ripjaws V 2666nhz cl15 16gb 8gb dual sticks (black cheapest color) 

Toshiba 7200rpm 1tb hdd (section part for OS) 

Sapphire Pulse RX 5500xt 8gb gddr6 oc

Corsair CX550 550w 80+ bronze modular 

Windows 10 - (school subsidiary version) (Windows 10 home edition) 

Please let me know if there are anything I should change. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

1 minute ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

A school mate came visiting the school's computer club today, and saw us playing command and conquer during our free period and got intrested, and since he plans to join the Computer Club he needed a PC. His budget is $800 sgd ($450 usd) and this was the best I could do. I hope it's balanced and works for him. 

Note : thanks for the advice and guidance from all members of the forum.

System Name : Ghost

Budget : $800

System Cost : $798 (sgd) - ($450 usd)

Games installed : Command and conquer remastered, smite, rocket league, Dirt 4, csgo

(All games are free except command and conquer.) 

Case: Tecware Forge M - (Mesh edition) (comes with 4 case fans) white

Ryzen R5 3300X + reference cooler (wraith stealth) 

Msi B450m mortar titanium (cheapest b450m left) - bios updated

G.skill Ripjaws V 2666nhz cl15 16gb 8gb dual sticks (black cheapest color) 

Toshiba 7200rpm 1tb hdd (section part for OS) 

Sapphire Pulse RX 5500xt 8gb gddr6 oc

Corsair CX550 550w 80+ bronze modular 

Windows 10 - (school subsidiary version) (Windows 10 home edition) 

Please let me know if there are anything I should change. 

mhmm, change the ram, ryzen won't play nice with 2666. Also, see if the RX580 is available for cheaper, as practically the same thing. You explain the build fairly well, and if you're getting the cheapest stuff left (that's also good), you're doing it well and good

It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan, for we will tell you, 

what will become, of that, which you have earned

It's a pretty good spec. Keep in mind, RX 5500 XT = RX 580 = GTX 1060 6GB = GTX 1650 Super. If you can get any one of those four cards cheaper, choose it.

DDR4 3000 is usually a tiny price increase over 2666, worth it to increase performance.

Without an SSD, this computer will feel pretty slow. If possible, get whatever size SSD you can for windows.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, BillNyeThecommieSpy said:

mhmm, change the ram, ryzen won't play nice with 2666. Also, see if the RX580 is available for cheaper, as practically the same thing. You explain the build fairly well, and if you're getting the cheapest stuff left (that's also good), you're doing it well and good

Thanks, rx580 no longer in shops over here. I'll try getting a fellow classmate who does overclocking to oc the ram. 3000mhz cost $35 more, we couldn't go over budget. 

Silent Cerberus - Fractal Design Core500,Ryzen R7 3700x,Scythe Fuma 2,Gigabyte Aorus B550i Pro AX,Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl16 16gb,Adata XPG SX8200 nvme 512gb m.2 ssd,Lexar NS100 1tb ssd,Red Dragon RX5700 8gb(bio flashed 5700xt),Corsair SF600 SFX 600w 80+ platinum F-Modular. 

Hades - dO.Ob Look into my eyes and see the dark eternal abyss that is your soul and pay for your hidden sins. 

Cerberus - the hell hound that guards the gates of hell. Once you enter you'll never escape. 

Just now, StrawberryShortCakes said:

Thanks, rx580 no longer in shops over here. I'll try getting a fellow classmate who does overclocking to oc the ram. 3000mhz cost $35 more, we couldn't go over budget. 

mhmm, I'd advise you to get a Ballistix CL15 3000 kit (it's micron rev e, it'll OC nicely). but, if it's not possible, the ripjaws kit will OC to 3k juuuust fine

It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan, for we will tell you, 

what will become, of that, which you have earned

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

It's a pretty good spec. Keep in mind, RX 5500 XT = RX 580 = GTX 1060 6GB = GTX 1650 Super. If you can get any one of those four cards cheaper, choose it.

DDR4 3000 is usually a tiny price increase over 2666, worth it to increase performance.

Without an SSD, this computer will feel pretty slow. If possible, get whatever size SSD you can for windows.

I got the cheapest of the 3 I could find as for rx580 they were no longer available, the cheapest 3000mhz was $35 more so I was pretty limited. As for ssd he said he would try to save some money in a month and get one, then I'll do the swap for him. 

16 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

As his first PC I don't think he'll know how fast or slow a system is supposed to be. 

I just feel bad I couldn't get him any "bling bling". 

28 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCakes said:

he would try to save some money in a month and get one, then I'll do the swap for him. 

then having windows on a separate partition is the best approach.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad