Heatsink stuck!

So i changed the cooler on my RTX 2060 mini so it runs cooler and i have to change it back to the original cooler and i have to remove the heatsinks that i glued with thermal adhesive that comes with the cooler that i bought Arctic Accelero III ( is not compatible with the 2060 but i modified so it fits ) and it won't come off from the VRM 😔 from the memory it came off and i used dental floss to take it off for the ones that were on the VRM i tryed with alcohol heatgun freezed it everything it won't come off plz anyone has other ideas ? 🙄

heating it up combined with patience should do the trick, just make sure not to cook it. i know you said you tried that, but it should be enough.

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

heating it up combined with patience should do the trick, just make sure not to cook it. i know you said you tried that, but it should be enough.

30min with the heat gun at 110°C tryed to move it to left and right gently did not worked 😔

3 minutes ago, NightBleeding said:

So i changed the cooler on my RTX 2060 mini so it runs cooler and i have to change it back to the original cooler and i have to remove the heatsinks that i glued with thermal adhesive that comes with the cooler that i bought Arctic Accelero III ( is not compatible with the 2060 but i modified so it fits ) and it won't come off from the VRM 😔 from the memory it came off and i used dental floss to take it off for the ones that were on the VRM i tryed with alcohol heatgun freezed it everything it won't come off plz anyone has other ideas ? 🙄

If it's epoxy... not a lot is going to work. Why do you have to change it back?
If the epoxy wasn't on a GFX card, you could use various chemical methods, but most of the effective ones will ruin the PCB and plastics.
Isopropyl Alcohol (99%) or Acetone (nail polish remover) might help.

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

It's thermal epoxy by the sound of it - it'll be conducting the heat away to the underlying VRM/board 😄

Just now, TehDwonz said:

It's thermal epoxy by the sound of it - it'll be conducting the heat away to the underlying VRM/board 😄

darn, sounds like the op might be introuble. why cant you keep it on @NightBleeding??

1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

If it's epoxy... not a lot is going to work. Why do you have to change it back?
If the epoxy wasn't on a GFX card, you could use various chemical methods, but most of the effective ones will ruin the PCB and plastics.
Isopropyl Alcohol (99%) or Acetone (nail polish remover) might help.

is an RTX 2060 mini ITX OC edition by Gigabyte and i have to put the old cooler cuz i bought i smaller case so i can take it with me and the alcohol that i used was Ethanol 70°

Just now, NightBleeding said:

is an RTX 2060 mini ITX OC edition by Gigabyte and i have to put the old cooler cuz i bought i smaller case so i can take it with me and the alcohol that i used was Ethanol 70°

Yeah that won't do much. Get some Isopropanol (99% Isopropyl Alcohol), or Acetone (Nail polish remover). Try to keep contact to a minimum with plastics and other areas unaffected by the epoxy. It might take some time, rub it in to the epoxy with the floss, a bit at a time. It'll dry up so apply more an repeat. 

5 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

darn, sounds like the op might be introuble. why cant you keep it on @NightBleeding??

cuz i bought a new ITX case

4 minutes ago, NightBleeding said:

when u point a heat gun at a small heatsink at 110°C at full fan speed i don't know how that little heatsink can keep up so ... but still not work to remove it i knew that i made to last against heat but i give it a try 😅

if you already kept it at 120c for 30 minutes and it didn't help, i don't know that going harder on it will help. keep in mind that you need to be trying to carefully twist the heatsink free as your heating it, it won't just fall off with this adhesive. just be careful with it, if it's as stuck as it sounds, you don't want to be ripping anything off the pcb that you aren't trying to remove...

edit: also, if it is the adhesive that came on the aftermarket cooler, maybe contact the company and see what they recommend.

9 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

Yeah that won't do much. Get some Isopropanol (99% Isopropyl Alcohol), or Acetone (Nail polish remover). Try to keep contact to a minimum with plastics and other areas unaffected by the epoxy. It might take some time, rub it in to the epoxy with the floss, a bit at a time. It'll dry up so apply more an repeat. 

There is a problem as is an mini GPU there is not much space on it so i can't reach under the VRM only way is a GPU bath ...

3 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

if you already kept it at 120c for 30 minutes and it didn't help, i don't know that going harder on it will help. keep in mind that you need to be trying to carefully twist the heatsink free as your heating it, it won't just fall off with this adhesive. just be careful with it, if it's as stuck as it sounds, you don't want to be ripping anything off the pcb that you aren't trying to remove...

edit: also, if it is the adhesive that came on the aftermarket cooler, maybe contact the company and see what they recommend.

i tried to contact them they don't respond i tried any way possible everything the only last thing was to ask on forum for more info

2 minutes ago, NightBleeding said:

There is a oroblem as is an mini GPU there is not much space on it so i can't reach under the VRM only way is a GPU bath ...

It would be ok to submerge it in Iso, but not sure about Acetone (we don't know the resin used for your PCB, for example).
You can buy a litre of 99% purity Iso on Amazon fairly cheap.

i tried to contact them they don't respond i tried any way possible everything the only last thing was to ask on forum for more info

i would recommend waiting for a response. right now, if you get a response withing 5 days, that's lucky. no offense, but on the current path, it seems likely that the gpu is going to get wrecked.

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

i would recommend waiting for a response. right now, if you get a response withing 5 days, that's lucky. no offense, but on the current path, it seems likely that the gpu is going to get wrecked.

1 week passed still no respons 😵 

5 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

It would be ok to submerge it in Iso, but not sure about Acetone (we don't know the resin used for your PCB, for example).
You can buy a litre of 99% purity Iso on Amazon fairly cheap.

But the iso is not flammable? I mean im gonna try it if is not gonna work f it i'll let it like that but i don't know 😑 thanks for the info tho 😊

Just now, NightBleeding said:

But the iso is not flammable? I mean im gonna try it if is not gonna work f it i'll let it like that but i don't know 😑 thanks for the info tho 😊

It is extremely flammable - they all are. No smoking!

Just now, TehDwonz said:

It is extremely flammable - they all are. 

After the GPU bath if i dry it with the heat gun and turn it back on it will work or do i have to put it in a rice bowl for 1 day or let it dry for 2 day ...?

After the GPU bath if i dry it with the heat gun and turn it back on it will work or do i have to put it in a rice bowl for 1 day or let it dry for 2 day ...?

Nope, let it air-dry naturally - it will evaporate very fast, especially in front of a fan. Obviously do this in a well ventilated area! The fumes are not good for you.

38 minutes ago, NightBleeding said:

let it sit for at least 24 hours, while alcohol dries quick normally, it doesn't under chips. ive seen pcb's still damp under bga chips after 24hours.

6 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

Nope, let it air-dry naturally - it will evaporate very fast, especially in front of a fan. Obviously do this in a well ventilated area! The fumes are not good for you.

I ordered the alcohol from amazon it should arrive monday cuz i have prime for how long does it have to stay in the alcohol (GPU bath)

7 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

GPU dried after the Ethanol bath that i did before asking on forum is that normal after a GPU alcohol bath? Is some sort of white, btw this are the heatsinks.

20200711_103322.jpg

20200711_103343.jpg

On 7/11/2020 at 9:34 AM, NightBleeding said:

GPU dried after the Ethanol bath that i did before asking on forum is that normal after a GPU alcohol bath? Is some sort of white, btw this are the heatsinks.

Please stop using ethanol on electronics... ;)  I don't know if the white staining is "normal" because nobody uses ethanol for this... unless it was 99-100% then it likely had water in it, causing corrosion. Isopropanol is what you need.

3 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

Please stop using ethanol on electronics... ;)  I don't know if the white staining is "normal" because nobody uses ethanol for this... unless it was 99-100% then it likely had water in it, causing corrosion. Isopropanol is what you need.

I ordered iso it will arrive only Friday 😑 but if the iso don't work im f-ed up 😅