Heatsink stuck!

On 7/12/2020 at 12:05 PM, TehDwonz said:

Please stop using ethanol on electronics... ;)  I don't know if the white staining is "normal" because nobody uses ethanol for this... unless it was 99-100% then it likely had water in it, causing corrosion. Isopropanol is what you need.

I used 99.9% iso did not worked 😅😅 bye bye GPU

You might have to try just cutting through the glue after it's been heated up a bit. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On 7/16/2020 at 1:43 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

You might have to try just cutting through the glue after it's been heated up a bit. 

Yep, and/or try acetone next - but I don't know the risks to the PCB with that. Anyone used it? It'd be a last resort for me, which this seems to be.

On 7/16/2020 at 2:43 PM, Godlygamer23 said:

Plz tell me how the hack can u reach under there ? + there are resistors around the VRM ( the heatsink covers them cuz they are the same size as the VRM)

20200711_103343.jpg

45 minutes ago, NightBleeding said:

Plz tell me how the hack can u reach under there ? + there are resistors around the VRM ( the heatsink covers them cuz they are the same size as the VRM)

20200711_103343.jpg

You would have to use something sharp. It can't be something large. Something like a paint remover, but much skinnier. And while the adhesive is a bit softer from heat(couple hundred degrees F), gradually work your way through it. And while cutting it, prying it up. 

I'm not saying it'll be easy, but it can probably be done. 

EDIT: Is the thermal adhesive soft or hard?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch