Is the iPhone SE worth getting?

weeblord

I've seen the other phones in the range (galaxy a 21, a11, etc., lg g series, and so on), and the iPhone SE has stood out to me. It seems like it has a better camera, better internals, than similarly priced competitors. I'm mostly fine with it having a lousy battery since I'm used to similar. Are there any ones better for the price, and if so, which? Thanks in advance.

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

I think the price of it is pretty good, especially if you want a new Apple device.

Then again, there's others with better screen out there 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

7 minutes ago, weeblord said:

I've seen the other phones in the range (galaxy a 21, a11, etc., lg g series, and so on), and the iPhone SE has stood out to me. It seems like it has a better camera, better internals, than similarly priced competitors. I'm mostly fine with it having a lousy battery since I'm used to similar. Are there any ones better for the price, and if so, which? Thanks in advance.

If you want to get it, get it for a deal. Some places are selling it lower than $400! 

21 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Then again, there's others with better screen out there 

Like....?

22 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I almost bought it, but the dealbreaker for me was really the battery. There is no way to limit the performance of the phone to control battery usage, unlike on the Android side of things. If you do anything with the phone at all, like a game, you can see the battery go "98 .... 97 .... 96...." and that just isn't acceptable to me when I'm paying $400.

I'm won't really be using the device to play games very much, if at all.

19 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

You can get a snapdragon 835 / sony xz1 for 200 pounds just saying.

But doesn't the SE have the CPU from the iPhone 11?

Thanks for the responses.

edit: Oh, and by the way I'm going off what Verizon has as their phone plans (per month). Budget is $15/mo, roughly.

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

Pixel 3A(XL) is great IMO but im a bit biased as I own one.

Great camera, good screen, good battery life, decent performance, great software

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

5 minutes ago, marmour said:

Pixel 3A(XL) is great IMO but im a bit biased as I own one.

Great camera, good screen, good battery life, decent performance, great software

Yeah it doesn't look like Verizon has those in stock (see above post)

Just now, weeblord said:

Yeah it doesn't look like Verizon has those in stock (see above post)

Ah well. If you can't get it, the iPhone SE does seem pretty good for the price. I wouldn't really consider it as I'm not into IOS, but it should have great long term software support, good camera and great performance. As you mention, the only concern I would have would be battery life

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

The screen is tiny and the battery life is shit.

If that doesn't bother you - I guess it's fine.

Just now, marmour said:

Ah well. If you can't get it, the iPhone SE does seem pretty good for the price. I wouldn't really consider it as I'm not into IOS, but it should have great long term software support, good camera and great performance. As you mention, the only concern I would have would be battery life

Yeah, the only thing I'm concerned about is that it'll be my first plunge into any Apple device. We're mostly an Android family, but I don't think that would stop me since I'm just trying the get the best phone available regardless of the brand. Apple loyalists also hurt my image of the brand too.

Drawbacks:

1. Pity battery
  2. Old outdated screen
  3. Chunky bezels
  4. Slower charging
  5. No night mode
  6. No ultrawide camera

Advantages:

1. Speed
  2. Better camera than the average smartphone at that price

You decide if the advantages outweigh the drawbacks.

Just now, weeblord said:

Yeah, the only thing I'm concerned about is that it'll be my first plunge into any Apple device. We're mostly an Android family, but I don't think that would stop me since I'm just trying the get the best phone available regardless of the brand. Apple loyalists also hurt my image of the brand too.

Well, the phone is mediocre - there is nothing too special about Apple devices despite what the loyalist claim. It still calls people, gets texts and etc. The only reason to get an iPhone over an android phone is if you have an Apple ecosystem set up - including iPad, MacBook, Mac and etc. If you don't - the SE makes no sense at all.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Well, the phone is mediocre - there is nothing too special about Apple devices despite what the loyalist claim. It still calls people, gets texts and etc. The only reason to get an iPhone over an android phone is if you have an Apple ecosystem set up - including iPad, MacBook, Mac and etc. If you don't - the SE makes no sense at all.

Well the iPhone 11 is the best for most people in its price range, but that's it. You will get similar specs with the pro versions.

3 minutes ago, EL02 said:

Chunky bezels

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

So the Galaxy A21 would be better? It's pretty much the only other interesting phone in the running, along with a bunch of LG and Motorola phones. And also the chunky bezels are actually a plus, since I hate the notch.

Just now, EL02 said:

Well the iPhone 11 is the best for most people in its price range, but that's it. You will get similar specs with the pro versions.

High end phones don't make sense at all if you ask me. If you need a good camera, might as well buy a professional one for the price. Anything over 200$ for a phone is just people wasting money on stuff they don't really need. A coworker got really salty when he literally couldn't figure out something his iPhone X could do that my Nokia 5.1 couldn't

Just now, EL02 said:

No it wouldn't. They aren't priced the same. Something like the xiaomi mi 10x, mi 9t/pro give you more specs for the price.

Or that - if privacy isn't a concern, Xiaomi/Huawei have decent value

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

High end phones don't make sense at all if you ask me. If you need a good camera, might as well buy a professional one for the price. Anything over 200$ for a phone is just people wasting money on stuff they don't really need. A coworker got really salty when he literally couldn't figure out something his iPhone X could do that my Nokia 5.1 couldn't

Well if the phone is a crucial part of your job, i can see how you might benefit from a $1000 phone. Other than that, almost nobody needs to have a zoomed in picture of the moon in their gallery.

Just now, EL02 said:

Well if the phone is a crucial part of your job, i can see how you might benefit from a $1000 phone. Other than that, almost nobody needs to have a zoomed in picture of the moon in their gallery.

Even then - the executive person I talk to uses a Huawei P10 - an old flagship yes but she got it for dirt cheap when the new ones were coming out. And most of her job is spent on that. Another executive I know still uses an LG flip phone from 10 years ago and cannot be arsed to even consider a newer one.