ATH-M50 vs ATH-M50x

zxcvbnmmssdh

snip

would the 250 ohms work with my mobo?

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

It'll work, but if you listen at a loud level you might want more amplification. I've got the Gene V and it was loud enough with a DT990 for me.

Sorry for the delayed reply. My short answer would be yes.

If you are curious enough to read why you might not want to spend more right off the bat, then feel free to continue reading the route I have taken.

• '09-'10 Laptop with Tritton AX 720 until replaced by Astro A40 Headset 
  • 10/13/11 Ordered ATH-M50s; used with Rampage III Formula on-board audio -- big step up from a headset in terms of audio quality
  • 2/22/12 Ordered Blue Microphones Yeti -- I could finally stop having to switch to my A40's to talk in-game and on voip
  • 4/26/12 Ordered Xonar Essence STX from amazon warehouse deals (the savings!) -- much less noise than my mobo on-board and to me the sound quality improved overall
  • 11/14/12 Ordered ATH-M50 -- my ATH-M50s earpads were getting worn down pretty badly and I wanted a portable option w/ the coiled cable
  • 5/20/13 Ordered DT-770 Pro 250 Ohms after a recent PC replacement -- the discomfort experienced with the ATH-M50(s) was non-existent and overall more enjoyable

If I were in your position, as I mentioned before, I would invest in a pair of DT-770 Pro 250 Ohms and just use your motherboard. I would imagine you would be satisfied in terms of the improvement over what you already have or have had prior. If/when you ever want to or feel the need to "upgrade", the option is always available to you. I would have skipped the ATH-M50(s) if I were to spend the money again. The DT-770's are just too much more comfortable to me. That alone makes them worth the money in my opinion.

I'm using the DT770 250 ohm and it's perfectly loud at around 70% on my Maximus VI gene onboard. Try it on your onboard first before buying a DAC/AMP.