How do you setup MoBo RAID with a MSI x570 and click bios 5

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, Thatguywiththetoasterpc said:

Damn I guess my board is too new. I thought I was alright because it had Sata/raid drivers on it's website. Though if I did hardware level raid I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the SED functionality on these enterprise drives anyways, so I'll just take your word on it.

It has the motherboard fake raid, but stay away from that if possible. And that uses the cpu anyways, so you don't get hardware offloading.

Just now, Thatguywiththetoasterpc said:

I got 2 enterprise seatgate SED drives I was wanting to put into my Desktop. It's kinda for storage, and kinda out of boredom lol

You probably want to use storage spaces in windows then.

ALso id stay away from SED on your drive, software encryption is probably a much better bet

Greetings and Salutations, as the title says, how do you run hardware level raid with a MSI Bios. (Specifically click bios 5) I can find only one guide and it's confusing at best. (The guy goes into Windows Formatting with a boot disk, which doesn't seem quite right) Anyone who has experience with this seemingly lost art, I would really appreciate your insight lol

Is this something you're setting up for a boot drive? I wouldn't.

Look into Windows Storage Spaces if you're looking to make a storage array for your desktop.

Or is this something you're just looking to explore for the heck of it?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

that board doesn't have a real hardware raid card. Your much better off with software raid.

Damn I guess my board is too new. I thought I was alright because it had Sata/raid drivers on it's website. Though if I did hardware level raid I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the SED functionality on these enterprise drives anyways, so I'll just take your word on it.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Is this something you're setting up for a boot drive? I wouldn't.

Look into Windows Storage Spaces if you're looking to make a storage array for your desktop.

Or is this something you're just looking to explore for the heck of it?

I got 2 enterprise seatgate SED drives I was wanting to put into my Desktop. It's kinda for storage, and kinda out of boredom lol

It has the motherboard fake raid, but stay away from that if possible. And that uses the cpu anyways, so you don't get hardware offloading.

Just now, Thatguywiththetoasterpc said:

ALso id stay away from SED on your drive, software encryption is probably a much better bet

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Oh wow, then that explains why the damn took me into Windows Formatting... lol Thanks for the insight on that. And yeah I just started to format it in windows now.

Unless you're just doing it for education or curiosity I can't recommend motherboard RAID. Use something like Storage Spaces if you plan to store anything on it you can't replace.

Oh wow, then that explains why the damn took me into Windows Formatting... lol Thanks for the insight on that. And yeah I just started to format it in windows now.

If you want storge spcaes, you don't want to use disk management, you want to use storage spaces. Use powershell if you can, lots of features aren't in the gui.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Unless you're just doing it for education or curiosity I can't recommend motherboard RAID. Use something like Storage Spaces if you plan to store anything on it you can't replace.

Well according the good chap above there'd be absolutely no point anyways so yeah I'm just taking the common route on this one.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want storge spcaes, you don't want to use disk management, you want to use storage spaces. Use powershell if you can, lots of features aren't in the gui.

Hmm okay, I'll need to stop it then. I was just looking at doing Raid 0 or 5 (if possible) and I'm guessing I'd want the more advanced software for it.