Is 89 Degrees Bad?

maharshi1234

I built my first PC today.

My GPU is having 46 degrees at idle and while gaming, it caps at 89 degrees. Is that bad?

GPU is Gigabyte RX 570 4gb

Yes. Most modern cards start pulling boost starting in the low 80's, so while it's not harmful to your card, you are definitely not getting maximum performance at those temperatures.

1 minute ago, badreg said:

Yes. Most modern cards start pulling boost starting in the low 80's, so while it's not harmful to your card, you are definitely not getting maximum performance at those temperatures.

I forgot to mention GPU. it is gigabyte rx 570. but i saw some people using same gpu but getting lower temps

Normally when your GPU gets around 95-105c underload the computer will shut down automatically to prevent damage.

yea, sounds normal while running heavy games

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

10 minutes ago, Rorgash said:

yea, sounds normal while running heavy games

Oh good. thanks

3 minutes ago, maharshi1234 said:

Oh good. thanks

if you start seeing massive slowdowns in the games that you dont think you should, there might be something wrong with the cards cooling, but if you get the fps then everything is fine :)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Tbh to me it sounds kinda high. 

GamersNexus only saw md 70s in their testing 

rx-570-freq-v-temp_1.png

Please make sure both fans are spinning and that the card generally gets some fresh air. What case and fan configuration are you using? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

IMO, little high. Might want to bump up that fan profile.

Personally I like to try to keep things under 80~85°C

5 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Tbh to me it sounds kinda high. 

GamersNexus only saw md 70s in their testing 

rx-570-freq-v-temp_1.png

Please make sure both fans are spinning and that the card generally gets some fresh air. What case and fan configuration are you using? 

I have a old cabinet. There is no much space between GPU and bottom of case. That is the reason causing heat i think. I will try with a open case once.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

IMO, little high. Might want to bump up that fan profile.

Personally I like to try to keep things under 80~85°C

How to change fan speeds? 

1 minute ago, maharshi1234 said:

I have a old cabinet. There is no much space between GPU and bottom of case. That is the reason causing heat i think. I will try with a open case once.

Also i don't have any case fans. My money is all over buying components. i will buy new cabinet in August or september. until then i want to use this.

8 minutes ago, maharshi1234 said:

How to change fan speeds? 

The option should be available from the AMD driver utility when you right click on your desktop.

I always felt their menus were too complicated when wanting to find basic functions but it's in there somewhere.

I have and rx 590 which is considered to be an rx580 with higher power consumption and higher temps (basically the hottest polaris gpu) and I've never seen it reach event close to those temps in any benchmark I've ever done or games I've ever played.  Hottest I've seen is 77C during summer ambient temps of 30+C fans at 60%.  My case is well ventilated and my card is a sapphire nitro + which have quite a nice and effective cooler.  

The temps you are getting with your rx 570, even if gigabyte may have a bit worst cooler than sapphire, are imo too high to be normal for that card.  I most likely won't damage it as other said but you can probably see some thermal throttling.   Try to get more air to the card by tweeking the fan curve of your card, adding fans to the case or making cutout in the case or something like that ... a picture of your case would be good to have too so we can help you with that.  

Also is your card new or used ?  If it's used, it might be dusty or need repasting ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

6 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I have and rx 590 which is considered to be an rx580 with higher power consumption and higher temps (basically the hottest polaris gpu) and I've never seen it reach event close to those temps in any benchmark I've ever done or games I've ever played.  Hottest I've seen is 77C during summer ambient temps of 30+C fans at 60%.  My case is well ventilated and my card is a sapphire nitro + which have quite a nice and effective cooler.  

The temps you are getting with your rx 570, even if gigabyte may have a bit worst cooler than sapphire, are imo too high to be normal for that card.  I most likely won't damage it as other said but you can probably see some thermal throttling.   Try to get more air to the card by tweeking the fan curve of your card, adding fans to the case or making cutout in the case or something like that ... a picture of your case would be good to have too so we can help you with that.  

Also is your card new or used ?  If it's used, it might be dusty or need repasting ...

This is new card. My cabinet is so small/ I doesnt have good airflow. May be that is causing issue. I am using with left panel open for now. It is getting me 75 to 78 degrees on 100% load. I will try increasing fan speed today.