Corsair TX650M vs RM650 vs RM650X vs RM650i

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 hour ago, AncientPistol said:

I am building a PC with Ryzen 3700X, Nvidia 2070 Super and 16GB 3600MHz CL16 memory. For PSU I am confused between Corsair TX650M vs RM650 vs RM650X vs RM650i. Yes I am aware there are other companies also with good PSUs but availability is limited in my region. 

I was looking for 650x but it went out of stock before I could make a purchase, so that is not available anymore. Between TX650M and RM650 there is only a small price difference but then the 650i is quite expensive compared to the others. AFAIK 650X and 650i have Japanese capacitors while the other two have Chinese capacitors. Should I spend the extra money for the 650i or is RM650 good enough? Other than safety I also want headroom if I want to upgrade the CPU/GPU in the future.

Here:  http://www.jongerow.com/Corsair_PSU_hierarchy/index.html

I am building a PC with Ryzen 3700X, Nvidia 2070 Super and 16GB 3600MHz CL16 memory. For PSU I am confused between Corsair TX650M vs RM650 vs RM650X vs RM650i. Yes I am aware there are other companies also with good PSUs but availability is limited in my region. 

I was looking for 650x but it went out of stock before I could make a purchase, so that is not available anymore. Between TX650M and RM650 there is only a small price difference but then the 650i is quite expensive compared to the others. AFAIK 650X and 650i have Japanese capacitors while the other two have Chinese capacitors. Should I spend the extra money for the 650i or is RM650 good enough? Other than safety I also want headroom if I want to upgrade the CPU/GPU in the future.

Is the RM550x in stock?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

The quality goes 

txm then rm then rmx then rmi

the only difference between the rmx and RMi afaik is that the RMi can have its fan controller manually. 

mid personally choose the rmx. 

20 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Is the RM550x in stock?

No "X" variant is available :/

Just now, AncientPistol said:

No "X" variant is available :/

Then an RM550/650 should do.

I'd also look for be quiet's Straight Power 11 550W, as that's about on par with the RMx.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Then an RM550/650 should do.

I'd also look for be quiet's Straight Power 11 550W, as that's about on par with the RMx.

What about the capacitor difference? Based on this review the fans and capacitors are not top quality. How much difference does it make? I don't want to risk anything since we get voltage fluctuations at our house sometimes. Thats why I was considering 650i even though its almost 25% more expensive.

1 minute ago, AncientPistol said:

What about the capacitor difference? Based on this review the fans and capacitors are not top quality. How much difference does it make? I don't want to risk anything since we get voltage fluctuations at our house sometimes. Thats why I was considering 650i even though its almost 25% more expensive.

The RMx/i is better, but the RM is still very good. Not having the caps branded as Japanese really isn't the end of the world (keep in mind that lots of "Japanese caps" are made in China anyway).

I really wouldn't worry about it. You shouldn't have any problems with it, especially with your components.

Here:  http://www.jongerow.com/Corsair_PSU_hierarchy/index.html

AFAIK 650X and 650i have Japanese capacitors while the other two have Chinese capacitors. Should I spend the extra money for the 650i or is RM650 good enough? Other than safety I also want headroom if I want to upgrade the CPU/GPU in the future.

Nope, TXM also has 100% GOOD japanise caps

The best is the RM650i for two reasons:

- better fan

- option to operate the PSU in multi-rail mode

So yeah I'd pick that one if I have the money, then RMx, then TXM and RM is the worst. Though all of them are premium PSUs