Microsoft experimenting with free version of Windows 8.1

AlexGoesHigh

I installed start8 when I installed windows.  I have no idea what that terrible start screen looks like on my computer.  The only difference on my computer between this and windows 7 is that it's better and faster.

I don't like the start screen. I tries to get used to it (uninstalled Windows 7 for a few months) but it annoyed me every single day.

If they will let me be on the desktop without ever leaving it then I would gladly upgrade. Right now though, you need to open up the terrible start screen every time you want to search for a program.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I hate Windows 8 threads.....

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I hate Windows 8 threads.....

I hate all version of Windows thread, because it's always the exact same story. People complain none stop on how the previous version of Windows was the best/better.

People don't like change, but want change.

I hate all version of Windows thread, because it's always the exact same story. People complain none stop on how the previous version of Windows was the best/better.

Its either people complaining about earlier versions of people for some reasons taking it upon themselves to convert people to the new version and calling them stupid for not changing.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

(sounds like the same as CoD's problem to me.... people want change but if you change people don't like you)

But anyways if I can upgrade to win8 (for a normal price) I would do it, just because its a new version it is bound to have better support and more software aside from the UI issues that people have (perhaps win 8.2 that is rumoured to have a normal start button changes things). The thing that worries me is the "powered by Bing", because I have WinRT and Bing is just bad, the results it gives are just worse than Google's. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I also, have been experimenting with *ahem* free upgrades of windows.

I wonder if this is going to be like a starter version for 8. Like windows 7 starter, cut down features etc.

I fail to understand why #1 windows 8.x doesn't just have one version. Instead you have 8 and 8 pro each 32 bit and 64 bit flavors. Why not kill 32 bit at this point? Why so we need a pro version? Why not just have one version with everything enabled by default? Money... That's why!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Why did you pirate w7?

Why choose bing. Why Microsoft. Why.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Why choose bing. Why Microsoft. Why.

You are right. They should have used Microsoft Windows Live Search

If you think Bing is bad... oh boy.

People just need to get used to using Windows 8. Sure you may hate it at first but at least use it for a month

Lol... I'll stixk with 7 until its not supported then I'll switch to Ubuntu :D

Also all win 8 benchmarks are invalid due to the rtc issue

But yeah for the general win 7 user I don't see a reason to upgrade

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

This is a good move by Microsoft, it will definitely show consumers how great Windows 8.1 is.

TF2 is what I do

I hate them more, because you have the same 3 people in every thread selling Windows 8 fairy tales. Claiming 15-20 fps gains in games that aren't BF4 (impossible or due to user error on the older install).

Still waiting for those 5-10 fps improvement benchmarks on all games and a 10 fps improvement in Starcraft 2. I know that is false (like many others here), because many of us tried the Win 8.1 free trial and saw no difference and usually a slight loss of performance in games other then BF4. The synthetics side with Win 7 (barely).

Just think, you could be the first person in the world to document Windows 8 being faster in games other then BF4...

I mean you can report me over and over again and claim I am insulting you, but it is pretty clear you are selling something here and will bend the truth to sell it. LTT should be much more worried about astroturfers taking over their forum then people refuting fairy tales. People come to these forums for tech advice, not to be sold a fairy tale.

aKzYzjj_460s_v1.jpg

Uh huh. So again you are claiming people are not tech savvy for not liking Windows 8. Meanwhile you claim 10 fps improvements in games other then BF4, which is impossible unless you are horrible at maintaining a Windows install, which would make you not very tech savvy.

So which is it. Did you bend the truth or are you unable to maintain a clean OS? Either way? People should ignore any advice you have on MS products from now on, and since MS is what you post about the MOST (always defending them and Windows 8)? 

For the record? I do NOT think you are stupid, nor non "tech savvy". That only leaves one other option sir. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Looks like @deathjester has some more Win8 Hate that he didnt get out in the numerous other threads.

So my question is can you make 8.1 look like windows 7 ? with the start button and all that?

So my question is can you make 8.1 look like windows 7 ? with the start button and all that?

there's hundreds off apps that mod w8 appearance and mostly common are those that add the start menu back whit all the functionality of 7 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I'd probably buy a second SSD (when I can) and put Windows 8 on my current SSD, and Windows 7 on the new SSD. Dual boot.

What a colossal waste of money...

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

there's hundreds off apps that mod w8 appearance and mostly common are those that add the start menu back whit all the functionality of 7 

But you get the performance of w8 correct ?

But you get the performance of w8 correct ?

ofc those improvements come from the kernel and not the appearance :P

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

What a colossal waste of money...

Not sure if you think SSDs are a waste or buying another SSD is a waste. If the latter, he could just dualboot off 1 SSD. I don't think there's much of a "performance" or time cutting difference with 2 windows on different ssds. If there isn't, I don't know why you would for the latter unless you're rich.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Not sure if you think SSDs are a waste or buying another SSD is a waste. If the latter, he could just dualboot off 1 SSD. I don't think there's much of a "performance" or time cutting difference with 2 windows on different ssds. If there isn't, I don't know why you would for the latter unless you're rich.

Spending money to run two of what are essentially the same operating systems is a waste of money.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

People just need to get used to using Windows 8. Sure you may hate it at first but at least use it for a month

people dont want to get used to it becuse theres zero reson to on a desktop , and people have spoken with there wallets. windows 8 is a good OS with a poorly designed UI for desktop users no matter how people on this forums spin it. There is zero reson for microsoft not to have included the option to use the classic start menu on windows 8, bloody OSX has more customization than windows 8 had when it launched! , there slowly being patched in.

people dont want to get used to it becuse theres zero reson to on a desktop , and people have spoken with there wallets. windows 8 is a good OS with a poorly designed UI for desktop users no matter how people on this forums spin it. There is zero reson for microsoft not to have included the option to use the classic start menu on windows 8, bloody OSX has more customization than windows 8 had when it launched! , there slowly being patched in.

The thing is there is no need for the start menu anymore for the little that I used the start menu for the start screen does a better job.

ofc those improvements come from the kernel and not the appearance :P

Thats what i tough :)