FPS CAPPED OR UNCAPPED?

BollyWood401

Just curious how many of you play with a capped FPS vs uncapped FPS? Are their any downsides to playing with uncapped all the time? What do you prefer?

ive heard you get less input delay with uncapped. but i cap it anyways because i dont feel any input delay anyways

Depends on your display. If it's 60Hz i wouldn't cap because even on a 60Hz monitor you will benefit from more fps in terms of input lag. But if you're gaming at 120Hz or 144Hz I'd cap it because it's recommended with G-Sync and FreeSync and in terms of unput lag you won't really notice a difference between 144Hz and higher.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I usually leave mine uncapped for the most part. I'm also running 3440x1440, so reaching my monitors 144hz is basically not going to happen. And on the rare occasion I've surpassed 144fps, I've never had an issue.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

depends in alot of factors

- game optimize, if the game fps is unstable

- sudden drop in fps may feel laggy 

- vsync / gsync etc

- leaving gpu headroom for unexpected stuff

3 hours ago, popwitnotart said:

ive heard you get less input delay with uncapped. but i cap it anyways because i dont feel any input delay anyways

Yeah I could say the same thing, I don’t ever feel any input lag.

Depends on the game. I don’t mind capping the framerate on any slower paced game because even though I may get some extra input latency, it’s not that noticeable and doesn’t matter in those applications.

If I play competitively though, uncapped for the obvious reason of wanting as little latency as possible.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, BollyWood401 said:

Just curious how many of you play with a capped FPS vs uncapped FPS? Are their any downsides to playing with uncapped all the time? What do you prefer?

I generally cap it to lower GPU temps when I can afford it. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Will playing with an uncapped FPS all the time damage your gpu in the long run or should I just enjoy the high frames and not worry about it?

I have a red devil Radeon 5700XT with an i7-9700K, along with 16GB of RAM.

It will cause more wear but shouldn’t be anything your gpu can’t handle. I wouldn’t worry about it. However, IMO there isn’t a reason to have uncapped FPS if your frames are higher than your monitors refresh rate.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Just to make your system more quiet I like to cap my FPS, capping reduces load on your GPU + CPU so they don't heat up as much, fans don't spin as much, save power, etc. No real reason not to. It won't damage anything to run it max power all the time, but see above as to why you should.

You could have just gotten a smaller video card then :P

I generally run lower FPS but at higher resolutions. Might as well utilize the potential. It's actually designed for it.....

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Why get a worse video card? If in some games you need the power, I would rather have the power and not need it than need the power and not have it. Also framerate matters way more the resolution, unless you sit six inches from your monitor.

What makes a smaller Gpu "worse" ? 

If you buy a 2080ti and game 1080P utilizing less than 50% usage, a 2060 would have burned a smaller hole in your pocket. 

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Here is the example. I play minecraft some of the time. I have an RTX 2080. Would I be able to use a RX 560 to play minecraft at my settings? Yes. But do I also play GTA V and RDR2? Yes. Can an RX 560 handle RDR2? No. As I said, I would rather have the power and not need it than need the power and not have it, and in my case, I do need the power.

Yea ok, well I see your point, but leaving out other facts that pertain the need for so much video card.

If you're gaming 4K, you have a very strong argument. If 1080P, you do not. 

WHY?

Because in a previous post you claim to run v-sync 60 fps to reduce power and lower temps.

Then, you over purchased or full of shit that you actually run v-sync

Or just using that as a bad example while trying to explain degradation and life span from usage.

You wanna know what damages a Gpu? An overclock and constant Furmark beat downs. ;)

Not capping your FPS just makes your GPU do extra work. Only do it if you want to see what your GPU can do, but don't do it long term. Your system will be quieter, and use less power. Plus, you should be using V-sync anyways, which caps it to your monitor's refresh rate and takes away tearing (unless you use NVIDIA surround)

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I'm gaming in 1440p, with a 144hz monitor, so I cap my frames to 144fps to avoid extra strain on my GPU. And the resolution doesn't even matter, if your GPU is pushing way more frames than it has to in any game, regardless of resolution, then yeah, you should cap to avoid any unnecessary heat and stress on your GPU. (V-Sync doesn't cap to 60, it caps to the refresh rate of your monitor, which in my case is 144hz)

BUT, in other games, in which my GPU doesn't push 50% more FPS than I need to fully use my monitors refresh rate, that's when I need my compute that I bought.

I didn't know what you where running until this very post lol. But nice curve ball there. Not everyone runs your refresh rate......

And saving that tiny bit of power = a few pennies a year. Heat, if running ambient cooling, then lower the ambient temps and case temps obviously follows suit..... for better card temps. 

And strain? I'd want to agree to that statement. But that's hard because the card is kinda made to compute..... render..... it's just designed to do just that. Um. Not maintenance required. No oil changes needed. If it stops working, you warranty the card simple as that. Either it works or it doesn't.

If you where overclocking and Furmarking it's brains out, well I'd say you're actually putting strain on your gpu. Other than that, it's designed to stay within it's thermal parameters at stock. You shouldn't have to change anything.

Screen tearing? I don't read a lot of threads with screen tearing issues unless the Gpu was scorched. Unless that's an ATI/AMD thing (used to be?)

8 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

"Nice curve ball there"

I'm not trying to mislead you here.

And the thing about strain is when you heat up and cool down the card the PCB expands and contracts just a little bit which can stress fracture some of the PCB mounted components. Not saying that happens often, just that it's possible.

Just because it stays within it's thermal parameters doesn't mean it's quiet when doing so.

As for screen tearing I believe @ImAlsoRan was referring to the other benefits of G-Sync.

Thats not strain. 

Heres on my bench.

This is strain.

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Wow, we are becoming very elitist, very quickly. I think what I mentioned meets the definition of stain.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/strain

2c: The state of being subjected to such demands or stresses

2: To exert, use, or tax to the utmost

1b: To cause distortion of (a body's parts or shape) by applying an external force; deform.

Calm down. I like to cap my FPS so my PC isn't loud. That's all there is to it.

lol. 

I'm calm. You're just over exaggerating the term "strain" as if your 1440P gaming would actually constitute as damaging strain as you try to imply it with PCB expanding and such. I'd be more worried about needing to reball the chip over the PCB expansion, but hey, I seem to know nothing as you are pointing out.

Nothing I've said is false, and I understand your points.  

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I'm not saying you know nothing, you clearly are intelligent. I'm not saying that PCB flexing due to thermal loads is a major factor, but a factor, no matter how small it may be.

Yes I understand that, but wouldn't be outside the realm of normal to anyone else's similar card. It's so small of a factor, we could go as far as saying non issue. The sneak peak was a GTX 480. That card has been around for a while. I imagine it's seen much more abuse and would be a good show to backing my statements and how you came about actually seeing those pictures.

But anyways, I really do understand where you're coming from. My point is, as it stands and I haven't much more on the matter.... 

*** Threads merged ***

Also moved to PC Gaming. Please don't post multiple times about same subject, and make sure to post into correct subforum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 7/3/2020 at 1:33 PM, ImAlsoRan said:

Plus, you should be using V-sync anyways, which caps it to your monitor's refresh rate and takes away tearing (unless you use NVIDIA surround)

V-Sync introduces extra input latency.

I would not recommend turning on V-Sync outside of slower-paced games, especially single-player focused games like The Witcher 3, assuming your graphics card is more than powerful enough to exceed your refresh rate.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1