Strange sound coming from Graphics Card

Hello,

I initially built my system a couple of months ago and 2 days ago I upgraded the graphics card to a sapphire pulse rx 5600 xt and added a hard drive. Since the upgrade a strange sound comes from the direction of the gpu when the fans ramp up: 

This was recorded while running Unigine Heaven but it happens when the gpu is under load in games too.

Specs can be found here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qzwGTC (the extra fans haven't arrived yet) 

I'm running the latest radeon drivers, windows 10 64 bit. MSI Dragon Center says that the bios version is 2.50

The noise still happens if i hold the fans to stop them from spinning. I've tried removing the graphics card and putting it back in, and same with the pcie power cable. I've tried spinning the fans manually and the noise doesn't occur.

Can anyone help?

Sounds like fan hitting something.  Wire maybe.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I could be wrong but it looks like the fan is hitting something 

Clean the GPU and then check 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Check for any obstructions on the left fan as it appears to be something hitting it as the fan keeps restarting in a way; shuts down completely then ramps up. Similar to you putting your finger on a fan and stopping it and once you let go, the fan starts back up. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, InvisibleMystery said:

Hello,

I initially built my system a couple of months ago and 2 days ago I upgraded the graphics card to a sapphire pulse rx 5600 xt and added a hard drive. Since the upgrade a strange sound comes from the direction of the gpu when the fans ramp up: 

This was recorded while running Unigine Heaven but it happens when the gpu is under load in games too.

Specs can be found here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qzwGTC (the extra fans haven't arrived yet) 

I'm running the latest radeon drivers, windows 10 64 bit. MSI Dragon Center says that the bios version is 2.50

The noise still happens if i hold the fans to stop them from spinning. I've tried removing the graphics card and putting it back in, and same with the pcie power cable. I've tried spinning the fans manually and the noise doesn't occur.

Can anyone help?

Either Bearing needs oiled or you have a dust ball caught near the bearing under the fan.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

31 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

30 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

27 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Check for any obstructions on the left fan as it appears to be something hitting it as the fan keeps restarting in a way; shuts down completely then ramps up. Similar to you putting your finger on a fan and stopping it and once you let go, the fan starts back up. 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Either Bearing needs oiled or you have a dust ball caught near the bearing under the fan.

Ok thanks everyone I'll have a look

The fans on my 2070S XC Ultra also rattle when they start/stop, so I reckon that that's the case with your card too if it does turn out that the fans aren't hitting a wire or something else. It's not something to worry about necessarily, as in it won't damage the fans or anything, but more of just an annoyance.

You can set up a custom fan curve within MSI Afterburner to have the fans turn on at a lower temperature for example, so they don't just start and stop continuously at a light load.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, InvisibleMystery said:

Ok thanks everyone I'll have a look

Looking at @SansVarnic’s thought that could be a thing too.  It doesn’t sound quite like a bearing to me but I’m more experienced with different bearings.  It’s very possible.  If it is a bearing the bearings have gone out of round and while oil may help it won’t help for ever.  The fan will eventually need to be replaced.  They come in sets for GPUs as they tend to be wired together.  They are cheapest used because people will part out dead cards and sell the fans separately.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 6/30/2020 at 4:24 PM, Bombastinator said:

On 6/30/2020 at 4:24 PM, TofuHaroto said:

On 6/30/2020 at 4:27 PM, CommanderAlex said:

23 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

So I removed the fans and had a look and it's clean. The noise is still happening after reconnecting the fans. I did notice that the shroud on the graphics card (not the heatsink or board) would move slightly if i pushed but all the screws I could see were tight.

23 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

The fans on my 2070S XC Ultra also rattle when they start/stop, so I reckon that that's the case with your card too if it does turn out that the fans aren't hitting a wire or something else. It's not something to worry about necessarily, as in it won't damage the fans or anything, but more of just an annoyance.

You can set up a custom fan curve within MSI Afterburner to have the fans turn on at a lower temperature for example, so they don't just start and stop continuously at a light load.

MSI Afterburner doesn't seem to do anything. HardwareInfo64 also gets the fan speeds wrong - it sometimes says that they're spinning when they're not.

Ok I'm also getting black screens so I'm just going to RMA it and get an rtx 2060 instead. Thanks everyone for your help

• 3 years later...