New PC no more post after playing with bios

Super panda

Hi,

so today I upgraded my pc to i9 10900K with asus apex maximus XII Z490 motherboard with 16GB DDR4 4133MHZ. after the building the pc, the first time I powerd on the pc it booted just fine to windows without any issues, then I started playing with overclocking with my cpu and after finding a stable cpu overclock , I started playing with ram overclock and some of my motherboard features since APEX XII is an overclocking motherboard. There was an option in the motherboard for memory timing overclocking called " tweaker mode" so out of curiousity I turned it on and after that everything went to hell... , after a few shutdowns and restarts my pc kept going straight to the bios instead of windows, so I thought maybe I should switch to the 2nd bios to go back to windows so I pressed the switch bios key on the motherboard and after that I just can't get any post at all, I can't even go to bios now , let alone going to windows, I tried clearing the cmos, removing one stick of ram but nothing helps, I'm stuck here with a black screen, also another thing I just noticed is that the 3rd fan of my gpu is not even spinning anymore when pc is turned on , not sure if it's related to this bios issue or something else is going on here. I'm very confused. Please help !

specs:

Z490 ASUS maximus apex XII 

i9 10900K

16GB G.Skill trident z 4133Mhz

RTX 2080 Ti

corsair RM 750X 750 watt psu

Clear/reset the BIOS...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Why did you apply bios 2 when you rooted bios 1,...... instead of fixing bios 1.?
Because the issue will remain if ever you bork bios 2 and have to switch again.

Fix - Clear/Reset your bios (Battery or Dipswitch Pins) and set it up again...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

BIOS #2 would have been a fall back set, to revert to if a new one borked (or vice versa).

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Eighjan said:

Clear/reset the BIOS...

have done that already, but no luck so far

7 minutes ago, Super panda said:

so I pressed the switch bios key on the motherboard and after that I just can't get any post at all

Anyway you should be able to flash it if you insert a FAT32 USB drive with a BIOS update file on the root directory of the USB using the BIOS FlashBack Button.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Why did you apply bios 2 when you rooted bios 1,...... instead of fixing bios 1.?

What chance that BIOS 2 was blank & the 'board is bricked...?

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

Because the issue will remain if ever you bork bios 2 and have to switch again.

Fix - Clear/Reset your bios (Battery or Dipswitch Pins) and set it up again...

Well tbh this is the first time I'm using a motherboard with dual bios so not a lot of experience, I switch the the 2nd bios because after the fail ram overclock I couldn't boot into windows anymore so I though switching bios might solve the issue

1 minute ago, Super panda said:

have done that already, but no luck so far

Try what @SkilledRebuilds said...

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, Vishera said:

Anyway you should be able to flash it if you insert a FAT32 USB drive with a BIOS update file on the root directory of the USB using the BIOS FlashBack Button.

I'm going to give it a try, hopefully it will help

Just now, Eighjan said:

Try what @SkilledRebuilds said...

I have already reset the bios by clearing the cmos but still no post, I'm going to to try what Vishera said, the error code I'm getting is Ad btw

3 minutes ago, Super panda said:

I'm going to give it a try, hopefully it will help

In most motherboards you have to insert the USB drive to a specific port:

1080904367_DesktopScreenshot2020_06.29-00_48_57_05.thumb.png.eb531b77b0d21944c953742b4fdfc8c1.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

11 minutes ago, Super panda said:

I have already reset the bios by clearing the cmos but still no post, I'm going to to try what Vishera said, the error code I'm getting is Ad btw

AD - Ready To Boot event

Bios Manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/ROG_MAXIMUS_XII_APEX/E16623_ROG_MAXIMUS_XII_APEX_UM_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.167591351.869946595.1593384562-1977763677.1569479979
Source - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XII-APEX/HelpDesk_Knowledge/

Searching for Answers...

Spoiler

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/help-with-mobo-error-ad.1990434/
Answered with Clear your CMOS, this will reset your BIOS......Disconnect all power from back of PSU, remove CMOS battery for 10-15 minutes then put it back in. (A PROPER BATTERY DRAIN)

User Reports - hey, sorry to get back so late. This worked for me. Thanks a bunch.

Another Forum
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/lcd-post-code-ad-the-story.230612/
When I came back, there was an "Ad" code. And a frozen screen.
In the manual "Ad" is "READY TO BOOT EVENT" ...
True: it happens when the full Post process has finished and Windows should launch.
Well I spend the whole ****ing morning tuning, clening CMOS, without any luck!!!
I decided to test my boot drive in another computer.
There is (apparently, caution) no useful info in the internet about code "Ad" at all !!!! Not in ROG forums either.
Except one guy that says it booted after many minutes. So I tried once more before dismounting parts...
Well, I also unplugged most of the USB cables plugged into the case...
THEN IT BOOTED RIGHT AWAY!!!!!

Another...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56623-Q-Code-AD-then-waiting-4-5-Minutes-to-Boot-from-XP941
This is my last post for this thread.
I have now rebooted my computer probably 20-30 Times, both with long wait times (hours) between boots and short wait times (a minute or less) between boots, and in every case the R5E booted without any issue with Fast Boot turned off in the BIOS.
Thank you Chino for the Tip - it worked.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just now, Vishera said:

1080904367_DesktopScreenshot2020_06.29-00_48_57_05.thumb.png.eb531b77b0d21944c953742b4fdfc8c1.png

Thanks, I'm going to download the latest bios and try to flash using a usb stick

Just now, Vishera said:

Just now, Vishera said:

I was able to fix it by flashing back the bios, thanks for the help ! Just a question , is there a way to disable this dual bios thing ? so i can only use a single bios, not really a fan of dual bios motherboards xd

Just now, Super panda said:

Your reply is empty...

5 minutes ago, Super panda said:

I was able to fix it by flashing back the bios, thanks for the help ! Just a question , is there a way to disable this dual bios thing ? so i can only use a single bios, not really a fan of dual bios motherboards xd

You mentioned a shortcut previously didn't you..? Refrain from using it I guess.

5 minutes ago, Super panda said:

Glad i helped,it seemed like both BIOSes were borked,you can switch to the other BIOS but i expect that one to be borked as well so i recommend to leave it as it is.

When it comes to memory i don't recommend to touch things if you don't know what you are doing since memory timings and other memory related settings are a sensitive thing for any kind of system.

Overclocking the CPU shouldn't be a problem as long as the voltage is reasonable and not stupidly high.