Has the AMD Encoder gotten any better

JustHunterM8

I was planning on either buying an rx 580 or an rx 5500 xt for a budget build but i dont know which one has the better video encoder (yes i know the GTX 16 and 20 series have the best encoder on a consumer graphics card rn). I've tried the encoder on the rx 560 and if the 580 has the same encoder as that then i might as well get the 5500 xt, but i dont know if thats any better.

I appreciate any responses thank you

Navi iirc has an encoder that's decent 

It's obviously not as good as nvec 

For the most part it does the job.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Navi iirc has an encoder that's decent 

It's obviously not as good as nvec 

For the most part it does the job.

so thats the rx 5500 xt with the better encoder right?

9 minutes ago, GuyRyzen said:

so thats the rx 5500 xt with the better encoder right?

It's a little better yes.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

honestly the amd encoder works just fine, I think everyone kind of does an "nvidia better lol" twist on it, it does but not enough to warrant spending extra on the cards unelss you somehow need that extra bit of fidelity, and if its that important id rather spend that money on a capture card or something

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

4 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

honestly the amd encoder works just fine, I think everyone kind of does an "nvidia better lol" twist on it, it does but not enough to warrant spending extra on the cards unelss you somehow need that extra bit of fidelity, and if its that important id rather spend that money on a capture card or something

I dont know if the rx 580 has a different encoder compared to the rx560, but there is a very big difference (not in quality but in how smooth it is) between it and the GTX cards. Thats the main reason i was asking about this cause i wanted to make sure the pc would be able to use the GPU for recording.

Yes the 5500XT have better encoder compare to 580, not Turing quality but as good if not better than Pascal iirc. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |