Should I get AMD 3960x or a better GPU for my 6k workstation?

Budget (including currency): 3,000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere Pro, After Effects, Resolve & C4D  

I was about to buy a new 6k editing workstation but I saw the impact of rendering using hardware encoding on Premiere 14.2 and Media Encoder using NVIDIA GPUs  (something that we weren't able to do). I saw that if your gpu is faster you will get faster results so now idk if you spend that much money on a Ryzen Threadripper 3960x, change it for a Ryzen 3900x and put more money on the GPU and RAM.

I'm gonna be recording on BMPCC 6k raw. 

You can see the article of Puget Systems about the performance of Hardware Encoding.

What do you guys think about the new hardware encoding? And what advice can you give me on building the 6k editing workstation?

I don't have to make the purchase soon, should I wait for the new Ryzen cpus and RTX 3000 series?

Thank you guys, this community rocks 🤘🖖

Other details: This is what I thought before hardware encoding came out for Premiere 14.2.  Part List

Hardware encoding gives worse quality at an higher bitrate.

I have tried the Nvidia encoder for both x265 and h264 in Resolve, vs cpu encoding, and while cpu takes longer, quality wise it will always come up on top.

For personal projects it is fine i guess, would only use it in a professional project in very specific circumstances.

You could get the Ryzen 3950x instead the lowest tier threadripper, if dual channel memory is enough, would save a lot of money that way.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, 23AndyRT said:

Budget (including currency): 3,000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere Pro, After Effects, Resolve & C4D  

I was about to buy a new 6k editing workstation but I saw the impact of rendering using hardware encoding on Premiere 14.2 and Media Encoder using NVIDIA GPUs  (something that we weren't able to do). I saw that if your gpu is faster you will get faster results so now idk if you spend that much money on a Ryzen Threadripper 3960x, change it for a Ryzen 3900x and put more money on the GPU and RAM.

I'm gonna be recording on BMPCC 6k raw. 

You can see the article of Puget Systems about the performance of Hardware Encoding.

What do you guys think about the new hardware encoding? And what advice can you give me on building the 6k editing workstation?

I don't have to make the purchase soon, should I wait for the new Ryzen cpus and RTX 3000 series?

Thank you guys, this community rocks 🤘🖖

Other details: This is what I thought before hardware encoding came out for Premiere 14.2.  Part List

Personally if you can wait i'd suggest it. It sucks but the best time to buy hardware is when new hardware comes out between it possibly being really good like pascal AND old stuff being cheaper if its overpriced 2xxx. That being said threadripper is significantly better imo than even the best AM4 cpu. Especially 3rd gen since theres no weird latency issue. Its better for various reasons not necessarily price though. i'd hold off until new stuff (although idk when ryzen stuff is coming out I just know that the 3xxx series seems to be coming sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

2 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

Stop quoting the full original post, it contributes nothing, but you have already tripled the length of the thread. If you want to quote a post or something, then do a "-snip" or something, or just don't quote it, especially if it is the OP.

what codec are you exporting to?

that system will support hardware encoding as is

Also Id add a ssd for a edit drive, editing off a hdd will be slow.

Also id get 4 dimms for quad channel

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Stop quoting the full original post, it contributes nothing, but you have already tripled the length of the thread. If you want to quote a post or something, then do a "-snip" or something, or just don't quote it, especially if it is the OP.

Some threads don't get answered and i'd like the OP to see. Don't tell people to not do something especially when the quote barely adds anything to the size of the post. It's not the end of the world if you have to scroll a bit more stop being bossy.

3 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Don't tell people to not do something especially when the quote barely adds anything to the size of the post.

Yes, i was kinda tired for seeing the same thing over and over again.

But it just 2 seconds to optimize your post and make the forum a far nicer place for everyone. 

3 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Some threads don't get answered and i'd like the OP to see.

If you want to quote people in a civilized manner, do a @Ohsnaps. People will get a notification the exact same way from that, but it will be more pleasant for everyone. Also as i said, no need to quote OP; they will get a notification no matter what.

Or you can do as i did, and only leave the relevant text in the quote. This also takes 2 seconds, and makes it far easier for the person who you quote, to understand.

In the end it doesn't matter, but if you would take 2 seconds and wouldn't litter, the world would be a nicer place for everyone.

Sorry for being somewhat rude and not explaining it all in the first post.

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Stop being bossy. Unless I am spanning the thread WHICH you are right now by bringing this up instead of attempted to message me or something. I know how to do it but its not needed. This isn't a job its a post for people to quickly help others. "I'm oh so sorry that I'm not as civilized as you good sir". Get over yourself its not a big issue.

1 minute ago, Ohsnaps said:

Get over yourself its not a big issue.

It's a fucking annoyance to anyone who hardcore uses this forum, and takes 2 seconds to avoid, while being more helpful to everyone involved because they can see the specific portion of the OP you are addressing, vs just a spam of the whole post. It's a small issue that's repeated so often it piles up into a big one. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

19 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

For personal projects it is fine i guess, would only use it in a professional project in very specific circumstances.

We are mostly gonna upload them to YouTube do you think is gonna matter there? but we have 2 professional short films that we are planning for the end of this year en mid next year. 
Maybe for those projects I'll use the cpu

18 minutes ago, Not Wills said:

I would say 3950x and a good gpu as a gpu is great at accelerating in reslove.

Would you consider a 2070 Super KO a good gpu? LUL

18 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Personally if you can wait i'd suggest it.

Yeah man I agree. I think I'm gonna wait to the what happen with next gen cpus and gpus. 

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what codec are you exporting to?

Also Id add a ssd for a edit drive, editing off a hdd will be slow.

Also id get 4 dimms for quad channel

I'm exporting to H265
Oh ok. I'll add a SDD for editing. 1TB should be fine right?
But if I go with 3950x instead I want 2 rams because if I need to upgrade I don't want to buy a whole kit again. but 3960x you are right I'll get 4 dimms.

Do you think 64GB is enough? 

Thank you all guys!! I really appreciate your help 

P.S I hope I did a good job quoting 😬

1 minute ago, 23AndyRT said:

Would you consider a 2070 Super KO a good gpu? LUL

I personally use a 1080ti and in resolve when editing 8k, rarely even with 4k i run out of video buffer, so an 8gb card is kinda small imo.

I get by with 32gb, in video editing it is enough, so 64gb will be good indeed.

3 minutes ago, 23AndyRT said:

I'm exporting to H265

In personal experience the Nvidia hardware h265 is not that good, still usable tho, i would personally do cpu encode. On youtube, probably doesn't matter.

5 minutes ago, 23AndyRT said:

1TB is good, but the durability is what matters, if you use it as a scratch disk for all the cache files etc. Samsung EVO nvme ssds are good, EVO PRO is even better, but they are pretty expensive.

Depends on project sie, but yea 1 or 2tb is probably fine. 

But if I go with 3950x instead I want 2 rams because if I need to upgrade I don't want to buy a whole kit again. but 3960x you are right I'll get 4 dimms.

Yea thats the way to go

Probably, but depends on sie of projects.

Also Id stop focusing so much on export time, and more on editing performance, because you wll spend a lot more time doing that. And that wants good storage aswell(probalby 3 ssds, one boot+ program, one scratch, one media). And the cpus get a lot closer. LIke it seems to be a 5-10% difference between the 3950x and 3970, and probablly less in your workloads as those benchmarks are pretty worst case.

15 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

This isn't the place to bring this up. There is absolutely no rule and constantly distracting from the topic whenever someone doesn't optimize their post EXACTLY to your liking is rude and its bossy. If that is such an annoyance to you then make a topic about it. I understand your point but that doesn't mean me quickly answering a question instead of formatting every post is need because you guys would like it. Not all topics end up with multiple answers sometimes im the only one besides OP. It is being bossy and having to slightly scroll down isn't the end of the world. People stop posting on this bringing this up. If you want to talk to people make a topic or message them. Get over yourself.

@23AndyRT

Also to note do you plan to store old footage? Adding additional storage after isn't the end of the world but im not sure if that workstation budget should include that.