Understanding why Plex behaves the way it does - transcoding question

Apologies if this is not the right place, but figured, it is on a NAS, it is on a server, it may be a server setting that is effecting the behaviour, so ask in the NAS section.

I am trying to understand why Plex transcodes some files, but does not transcode other files.

The obvious answer is "input file is different to output file" but that doesn't appear to be the whole story.

I have a UHD file 2160p, I am sending to a 4k TV over the internet.  Plex transcodes it to 720p.  It is not a bandwidth setting, or a quality setting as I have set this to the maximum on both sending and receiving Plex.

In other cases, I have sent files as a 'Direct Stream' but I do not seem to have any control over this, and I can't see any reasons why Plex makes the decision on whether it is a Direct Stream or transcoded - as it is not quality, file settings, bandwidth etc.

Am I missing a setting that needs to be manipulated or is this just something done in the background over which I shall never have any control?

Could be a unsupported container or file format, or possibly subtitles.

If i remember correctly Tautulli displays why its transcoding something.

11 minutes ago, Mayaa said:

Could be a unsupported container or file format, or possibly subtitles.

If i remember correctly Tautulli displays why its transcoding something.

Cheers for the tip, just set up Tautulli on FreeNAS, will see if it provides me any extra information in relation to why it is behaving this way.

1 hour ago, Dravinian said:

I have a UHD file 2160p, I am sending to a 4k TV over the internet.  Plex transcodes it to 720p.  It is not a bandwidth setting, or a quality setting as I have set this to the maximum on both sending and receiving Plex.

In other cases, I have sent files as a 'Direct Stream' but I do not seem to have any control over this, and I can't see any reasons why Plex makes the decision on whether it is a Direct Stream or transcoded - as it is not quality, file settings, bandwidth etc.

Am I missing a setting that needs to be manipulated or is this just something done in the background over which I shall never have any control?

Often it is because the receiving device doesn't support the codecs in use. It can only direct-stream videos to devices which support both the audio- and video-codec at their current settings.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Often it is because the receiving device doesn't support the codecs in use. It can only direct-stream videos to devices which support both the audio- and video-codec at their current settings.

Yeah I think it is because my files are MKV which is not a supported file format, and I am unclear on whether the TV accepts MKV files or requires them in MP4.

it is something I will look at.

1 minute ago, Dravinian said:

Yeah I think it is because my files are MKV which is not a supported file format, and I am unclear on whether the TV accepts MKV files or requires them in MP4.

That's a different thing. MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV etc. are container-formats, whereas H.264, HEVC, AAC, DTS etc. are codecs. You'll to have check both the container-formats and the codecs that you use.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Container format doesn’t matter for direct stream, just codec format. Plex has both Direct Stream (sending individual streams) and Direct Play (sending the whole container) and the client chooses what it wants based on its decode capabilities. Direct Stream/Play can also be disabled by subtitles depending on the subtitle format - most clients can show DVD or TV subtitles with Direct Show, but not Bluray or community made subtitles, because those are a more complicated format that allows a lot more customization.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

17 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Plex does it for a few reasons, including the ones you listed. 

it will also transcode based on whether it determines if the client is WAN or LAN. It supports basic detection of your upload bandwidth. 

in my Plex server preferences I listed my local Vlans so it doesn’t use the max upload bitrate I have set. 

Example ona Speedtest I can do about 30mbps. So I set max upload at 21mbps. Any stream over 21mbps streaming to a WAN client is forced to transcode. I also limited my server to 5 simultaneous transcodes with a max bitrate of 10mbps. 

this way I’m pretty assured I can handle two External clients at 10mbps 1080p. 

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:54 AM, Dravinian said:

Apologies if this is not the right place, but figured, it is on a NAS, it is on a server, it may be a server setting that is effecting the behaviour, so ask in the NAS section.

I am trying to understand why Plex transcodes some files, but does not transcode other files.

The obvious answer is "input file is different to output file" but that doesn't appear to be the whole story.

Plex transcodes based on the support file formats of the device you're stream to. For example Live OTA TV is done in MPEG2. My parents Roku sticks don't do MPEG2, so my server transcodes the live TV to a format that the Roku sticks understand. Some times Plex might only need to transcode Video or Audio, but this is all based on what the streaming device supports. 

If you want to stop transcoding then I suggest you look at the formats each of your device support and hopefully find one format they all support, OR have the same video in several formats so devices can direct stream. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Yeah codecs is typically the answer. 

Especially with audio. A lot of dvd/bluray content has some form of Dolby Digital audio. They're all licensed, so most TV's don't support Dolby. So you will almost always see dvd/bluray content in Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, etc...at the very least transcoding audio streams to something the TV can decode. 

As for video, it depends if its HEVC (h265), h264/x264, mpeg2, wmv, etc....and what formats your TV support. As pointed out above, containers != codecs.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing to consider is can your internet handle streaming 4K? I'm on Spectrum with 200mb down / 10 mb up and I keep my Plex by default at 720p 4mb/s streams to try and allow multiple streams at once. I believe users can manually override this and select higher qualities but you might physically hit a limit with mid grade 1080p and not be able to stream higher.

I think enough other people have covered the codecs and file formats so I'm leaving that part out but I agree. Most media I have is .mkv and most devices in my experience (TVs, phones, tablets, etc) can't receive that so it has to be converted into something readable. Hope this helps.