Best way to spend $90 on audio?

Ryan Leech

I'm currently using a $15 Rosewill headset with the integrated sound on my motherboard. I have just earned some serious money and I'm looking to upgrade my setup. I mostly listen to Latin and European folk, so I don't need crazy bass. I also play games like ARMA and other simulators.

What is the best way to spend the $90 on audio?

Would Steelseries Siberia V2s be good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249083

My current headset: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193037

My current motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

mobo should be fine, I'd go superlux HD681b (NOT EVO) and save up dat extra $60

I am willing to spend the full $90 , so is there anything better?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Obviously Silver cables.

But seriously I'd spend All possible on a headphone.

Unless cheaper is better

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

no not really, if you can get more however, I'd get the ATH AD-700x

I'd save up for some better headphones tbh. The mic in your headset is removable if you know your way around a toolkit.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Thats what I was thinking. They are usually around $115

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I guess I'll allocate some more money to audio then :D

I guess I'll allocate some more money to audio then :D

I would, get a nice o2 amp (and if you are fancy you can build your own) and the ATH AD-700x or 900x

:rolleyes: $90 is plenty for good audio despite what certain members are saying.

Pioneer SE-A1000 + ModMic for a top-of-the-budget option.

I would, get a nice o2 amp (and if you are fancy you can build your own) and the ATH AD-700x or 900x

O2 is way overkill for ad700x. I would use go for hd518

Would the AD700X work without the O2?

you could get a used hd555 in that price range if you go somewhere like the Ebay, also the pioneers ShearMe mentioned are a solid choice, but I perfer the way Sennheiser sits on the head

you could get a used hd555 in that price range if you go somewhere like the Ebay, also the pioneers ShearMe mentioned are a solid choice, but I perfer the way Sennheiser sits on the head

Yeah, the Sennheisers are more comfortable, but I assumed OP wanted a Mic as well.

Yeah, the Sennheisers are more comfortable, but I assumed OP wanted a Mic as well.

I don't need a mic. I just want the best sounding mid/nigh headphones possible for my price range

I don't need a mic. I just want the best sounding mid/nigh headphones possible for my price range

There's no "best" when it comes to headphones. Focus on comfort and durability for your first pair. :)

I'd be hard for me to pick a clear winner, all things considered.

I'm not too familiar with the modmic but how would the sennheisers be and different from the pioneers for a modmic?

I'd recommend the Sennheiser 518s to someone who's just trying out the world of high end headphones. Sure, they're far from what can be achieved but it's a great first open headphone and extremely comfortable. They're usually around $80.

However, the body is plastic and since they're open these are really not very useful outdoors. If you plan to carry your next pair of headphones around everywhere you go, I'd go with a closed headphone.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

I'm not too familiar with the modmic but how would the sennheisers be and different from the pioneers for a modmic?

SE-A1000 + ModMic = $90

HD 518 + ModMic = $113

I highly recommend the Koss Pro DJ 100s for what you're doing. They sound absolutely fantastic for acoustic instrumentation and vocals. Straight out of the box, they're weak on a lot of the mids, and don't have the strongest bass, but with warm-up both of these come in fairly decently. What really, really enhances their sound, brand-new or burned-in, is an amplifier, though, so I recommend just getting a FiiO E6 (in some places called the FiiO E06.) It really brings the mids forward, pumps-up the bass in a very controlled and not-overwhelming manner, and shows you the amazing detail and clarity. You will hear everything in FPSes.

Not sure what Amazon prices for you are in Chernarus (huehuehuehue,) but for me in Canada, $69.99 for the Koss Pro DJ 100s and $28.98 for the FiiO E6, sans shipping or tax. Maybe a bit over your budget as a combo, but, again, highly, highly recommended. Love these things.

I like music and headphones.