Looking for a case, different type

Aree Soothsayer

Forget the mesh side.

I run a fan on the open side of my computer yes. But I had forgotten the real reason until yesterday. My fan had died couple days ago. I did a hardware check and popped open a smart monitor, the alarm on it blared as soon as it came on. My drives were HOT. It was 90f in my room and they were in the mid 50's, except my windows drive was in the low 60's. Dragged a boxfan over to my pc but it is a 60w fan.

Is there a cpu case that has a fan set to ventilate where the drives go? Mine is old, 5 optical drives and a box to hold the drives in. No airflow without the boxfan.

23 minutes ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

Forget the mesh side.

I run a fan on the open side of my computer yes. But I had forgotten the real reason until yesterday. My fan had died couple days ago. I did a hardware check and popped open a smart monitor, the alarm on it blared as soon as it came on. My drives were HOT. It was 90f in my room and they were in the mid 50's, except my windows drive was in the low 60's. Dragged a boxfan over to my pc but it is a 60w fan.

Is there a cpu case that has a fan set to ventilate where the drives go? Mine is old, 5 optical drives and a box to hold the drives in. No airflow without the boxfan.

Do you have 5 optical drives or is it that there are 5 5.25” bays in your case?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Define R6 comes to mind as a case with lots of 5.25" bays with ventilation close by to it.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Do you have 5 optical drives or is it that there are 5 5.25” bays in your case?

Just that many bays. Only have one dvd drive since I still have games from old that can be installed from them.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Define R6 comes to mind as a case with lots of 5.25" bays with ventilation close by to it.

The fans blow onto the top one but that top one blocks the airflow to the one's below. Both sides are no vents so it wouldn't work too well.

27 minutes ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

ah sorry I was thinking of 3.5 " drive bays instead of 5.25"

20190228_202512-jpg.29184

21 minutes ago, For Science! said:

ah sorry I was thinking of 3.5 " drive bays instead of 5.25"

20190228_202512-jpg.29184

That’s a whole lotta hard drives.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

51 minutes ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

Just that many bays. Only have one dvd drive since I still have games from old that can be installed from them.

The fans blow onto the top one but that top one blocks the airflow to the one's below. Both sides are no vents so it wouldn't work too well.

1 optical is much easier to deal with that 5.   Very few cases left with that many 5.25” bays.

a fair number of high airflow 2x140mm fan cases.  Maybe a 3x120 or two though they will be taller.  140mm needs high airflow in a way 120mm doesn’t though. 

so yes, lots.  Most newer cases even, though some are better reviewed than others.

Scrap the one above. 100$ S&H, twice the cost of the tower itself.

Been looking and the pictures I dop find have the drives tucked in areas with no, or very little, airflow.

2 hours ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

You see, the thing is with 5.25" devices is that they are designed with front access in mind (optical drives, hot swap drive bays, etc) and so any 5.25" bay will never have a fan in front of it.

Furthermore I do not think there is a real consensus on how deep a 5.25" device is, and so there is rarely any defined mounting for fans on the rear side of the device. 

Lastly, the only thing defined about the 5.25" device is the width, which is how the device is usually clamped in place by the chassis, and so you will never get adequate side ventilation either since this is reserved for structural rigidity.

Therefore if you want airflow to your devices you're probably better off getting a spot fan and mount a standard case fan either pushing air onto or pulling air away from the devices. 

https://www.moddiy.com/products/ICEAGE-J1-High-Efficient-Performance-Flexible-Metal-Fan-Mounting-Kit.html

ICEAGE_J1_High_Efficient_Performance_Flexible_Metal_Fan_Mounting_Kit_%281%29__49020_zoom.jpg

19 minutes ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

*faceplant* I'll just keep my big ol box fan. Less hassle right now.

In this market probably.