็How lound is Noctua 140mm 200 RPM fan at max speed

I have been thinking for a while about how to use computer aircooling technology to actually cool myself sitting on a room and lately have been interested in a DIY bladeless fan centered around Noctua 2000 RPM fan either, 120mm or 140mm model. Most bladless fan use tiny 80mm or smaller fan to generate airflow which contribute to them not only can't cool the room well enough but also actually generate more noise than a proper fan, so my idea behind this project is to replace these tiny low grade fan with a high performance Noctua, the goal is to create a bladeless fan that can at least operate more quietly and have a more flexible form (I plan to use my wall mount fan and unused bladeless fan as a basic for this mod.)

My issue with this project however, is that, even with a noctua fan, I will probably have to operate it max RPM to even have a chance of getting any cooling. If Noctua at max RPM sound just as lound as a traditional fan (or have a lot of high frequency wave that make the sound unpleasant) this will probably defeat the purpose of the project. So you guy have anything to share on this?

Not sure what a traditional fan is, but all fans have a db rating for max speed. An ipc 2000rp, fan is pretty loud, not as bad as the 3000rpm version but enough I never turn mine past 1k. Sounds like a quality box fan would work better in everyway compared to a pc fan(s).

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I'm using the 140mm ipc 3000 fan at 3000 RPM as case intake fans (Used to use those on my NH-D15 at full speed also, during cpu heavy loads).  Sounds like a jet engine.  I love jet engines, did you know that?

I have five 120mm 3000 RPM fans also.  The noise profile on those are more annoying.

8 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

I'm using the 140mm ipc 3000 fan at 3000 RPM as case intake fans (Used to use those on my NH-D15 at full speed also, during cpu heavy loads).  Sounds like a jet engine.  I love jet engines, did you know that?

I have five 120mm 3000 RPM fans also.  The noise profile on those are more annoying.

I guess it is what I fear then, traditional fan is definitely lounder but they go like bzzzz which isn't that bad. Small fan always goes like jet about to take off I hope a bit that the Noctua will at least sound better than my cheapo Deep Cool 

19 hours ago, e22big said:

My issue with this project however, is that, even with a noctua fan, I will probably have to operate it max RPM to even have a chance of getting any cooling. If Noctua at max RPM sound just as lound as a traditional fan (or have a lot of high frequency wave that make the sound unpleasant) this will probably defeat the purpose of the project. So you guy have anything to share on this?

why not just put fan grills on a 140mm or 200mm fan and build/buy a flexible arm for it? You will hear any 120-140mm 1500+ rpm fan in a home setting, some might just be less annoying/intrusive.

If you are like me and any kind of noise bothers you, you are better off with a standalone fan on the table or on an arm. You could even attach as many 120-200mm fans as possible to the frame of your bladeless fan, so it would provide some rotation.

Fyi before I had aircon, in the summer I would have a 120mm CM jetflo blowing across my table, which was whisper quiet (~1200rpm) and it genuinely made my hands cold. I'm sure a high airflow noctua would be even better

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

9 hours ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

why not just put fan grills on a 140mm or 200mm fan and build/buy a flexible arm for it? You will hear any 120-140mm 1500+ rpm fan in a home setting, some might just be less annoying/intrusive.

If you are like me and any kind of noise bothers you, you are better off with a standalone fan on the table or on an arm. You could even attach as many 120-200mm fans as possible to the frame of your bladeless fan, so it would provide some rotation.

Fyi before I had aircon, in the summer I would have a 120mm CM jetflo blowing across my table, which was whisper quiet (~1200rpm) and it genuinely made my hands cold. I'm sure a high airflow noctua would be even better

honestly, it just didn't fit the room asthetic design