Is there any problem for getting an ovekill PSU other than efficiency?

Price

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Your wallet 

As far as I know, in terms of safety, as long as the PSU is of good quality, there isn't any harm in that regard for using a high wattage PSU as it will only draw as much power as the components need. 

However, as mentioned before, depending on the components and the PSU's efficiency curve, it may operate outside its area of peak efficiency. And there's also the obvious cost downside since you're paying a lot for a PSU that you may not be taking much advantage of. 

Very high wattage PSUs make the most sense in mid-high tier workstations, often with multiple GPUs as their power draw would mean that a higher wattage PSU makes sense. Most consumer systems don't draw nearly as much. Though people like me went slightly overkill on their PSU because they would then operate at their peak efficiency under load. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Price and Lowered efficiency. Are the big ones others have mentioned...

Another thing to consider is odd wearing? Like most modern PSUs don't turn their fans on unless they hit X% usage or X temp... and some of the components internally might hit a relatively high temp without it being enough to trigger the fans. and it may just use these parts more than others and cause them to wear quicker than the rest.

But that's mostly just in theory. Probably not anything to worry about. 

Honestly if I were you I'd just get the PSU wattage that makes sense efficiency wise, and spend the extra money on a nicer PSU or a UPS maybe; which could also help with efficiency and other power delivery.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Certainly not the efficiency. The efficiency "curve" for a mid-high end PSU resembles two straight lines. A nearly vertical one, and then a neary horizontal one.

By going for overkill wattage, you may go down in PSU performance. E.g. going for an EVGA N1 750W, an absolutely garbage tier PSU instead of getting a CX450, a pretty decent budget PSU.

In case the PSU brand cheaped out on the protections and went for a single rail PSU (e.g. EVGA T2, Seasonic Prime, Corsair RMx), it will be less safe, as the OCP and OPP tripping points will be higher. This is not an issue with multi rail PSUs.

In some cases, more noise. You may go for a louder, lower end model, which is noisier, or the model you choose might just be louder. E.g. the EVGA G3 1000W is a lot louder than the G3 550W at the same loads.

:)