Should i buy 2020 macbook air?

plus i get the same performance, and the 2019 model is around 200 bucks cheaper

1 hour ago, Ryan Kukreti said:

but the 2019 was considered the most reliable butterfly keyboard, and i have read many threads saying their butterfly keyboard didnt have any problem, because i need to clarify whether it would cause problem or not, because i really dont want to spend so much then see it getting destroyed

It still had issues, my Air 2018 hasn’t had any issues but I cannot recommend a butterfly keyboard because of all of the issues  

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

It still had issues, my Air 2018 hasn’t had any issues but I cannot recommend a butterfly keyboard because of all of the issues  

Yeah then I might wait for a month or two save some money then go fir 2020 macbook pro 13"

I own a MacBook Air but I bought it a couple of years back. I personally don’t have any problem using it. I personally use it for around 12 to 14 hours a day and I’m really happy to report that, I haven’t faced any issues whatsoever.

I work a lot on Excel, Word, etc. and I stream Netflix, play a couple of games and that’s it. I suppose you are going to be a light user like me, so I’d highly recommend you to go ahead and buy MacBook Air. The feeling of working or browsing using a MacBook is unlike no other, so simply go for it, Ryan!

Just don’t worry about the price or maintenance or whatever, simply go with your gut like I did.

9 hours ago, SmithSophia84 said:

I own a MacBook Air but I bought it a couple of years back. I personally don’t have any problem using it. I personally use it for around 12 to 14 hours a day and I’m really happy to report that, I haven’t faced any issues whatsoever.

I work a lot on Excel, Word, etc. and I stream Netflix, play a couple of games and that’s it. I suppose you are going to be a light user like me, so I’d highly recommend you to go ahead and buy MacBook Air. The feeling of working or browsing using a MacBook is unlike no other, so simply go for it, Ryan!

Just don’t worry about the price or maintenance or whatever, simply go with your gut like I did.

But I also attend Google meetings for my class, and I have heard from many users that it instantly gets very hot and fan also cranks up to high, plus i3 won't be running for long and in my country the cost of i5 variant is same as macbook pro

If money is not too tight, i would also go for the base Macbook Pro 13" 2020 over the 2020 Air. You have much more headroom for upcoming years, which makes up big time for the price difference. Just thinking about how many Years most people usually use their Macbooks, and it's still fine. There are still so many 2009-2015~ Macbooks/Airs/Pros in use, and they're still doing fine for usual tasks.

Unless you REALLY just do absolute basic stuff - for that the i3 Macbook Air is absolutely Fine. I also was on a Zoom Call with 2 people (3 including me), and no performance issues, and no heat/fan issues.

With the Pro, you don't just get up to double the performance compared to a i5 Quad Core Air (under full Load Situations), but also the better Screen.

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

If money is not too tight, i would also go for the base Macbook Pro 13" 2020 over the 2020 Air. You have much more headroom for upcoming years, which makes up big time for the price difference. Just thinking about how many Years most people usually use their Macbooks, and it's still fine. There are still so many 2009-2015~ Macbooks/Airs/Pros in use, and they're still doing fine for usual tasks.

Unless you REALLY just do absolute basic stuff - for that the i3 Macbook Air is absolutely Fine. I also was on a Zoom Call with 2 people (3 including me), and no performance issues, and no heat/fan issues.

With the Pro, you don't just get up to double the performance compared to a i5 Quad Core Air (under full Load Situations), but also the better Screen.

yeah i think i am going to buy the base 13 inch macbook pro, if not the 2020 will buy the 2019 as its performance is the same.

But it does come with the Butterfly Keyboard, and no dedicated ESC button (and no inverted T-arrowkeys).

Unless you find it for much cheaper. Like even cheaper than a brandnew 2020 Air.

Just the existence of the Magic keyboard models (which also start with 256gb SSD for the same Price as 128gb on 2019) completely smacked the value of last year's model. It immediately lost like 300-400€ worth. 250€ alone just because of the SSD difference.

4 hours ago, Darkseth said:

But it does come with the Butterfly Keyboard, and no dedicated ESC button (and no inverted T-arrowkeys).

Unless you find it for much cheaper. Like even cheaper than a brandnew 2020 Air.

Just the existence of the Magic keyboard models (which also start with 256gb SSD for the same Price as 128gb on 2019) completely smacked the value of last year's model. It immediately lost like 300-400€ worth. 250€ alone just because of the SSD difference.

Then I will buy 2020 model as the 200$ less price doesnt do much justice

11 hours ago, Ryan Kukreti said:

yeah i think i am going to buy the base 13 inch macbook pro, if not the 2020 will buy the 2019 as its performance is the same.

Yeah, the extra for the Pro is worth it over the Air. Check out the newest LTT video too. I knew about the heat sink on the MacBook Air not having heat pipes attaching it to the fan but I didn't know the heat sink doesn't even make proper contact with the CPU.

3 hours ago, panzersharkcat said:

Yeah, the extra for the Pro is worth it over the Air. Check out the newest LTT video too. I knew about the heat sink on the MacBook Air not having heat pipes attaching it to the fan but I didn't know the heat sink doesn't even make proper contact with the CPU.

2020 Macbook Air next to the 2017 Macbook Air -  note no attachment between heatsink and fan in 2020 model. In the 2017 model, there is a large heatpipe between the heatsink and fan.

Note that Apple has been doing this since the 2018 MacBook Air, so it's not like it's a totally new problem.

MBA_3small-1-600x400.jpg

DICvm4w11sDrZQoF.huge.jpeg

4 hours ago, panzersharkcat said:

Geez! I just watched that video, and you're right! Who in their right mind would think it was a good idea to kinda just have the heatsink hovering over the die?

I think they intentionally did that as a marketing strategy I would say. People would have chosen macbook air i5 instead of pro if it didn't have cooling problem.But no, they want us to spend more and buy the pro just like I am buying

6 hours ago, UndisclosedAMDProcessor said:

2020 Macbook Air next to the 2017 Macbook Air -  note no attachment between heatsink and fan in 2020 model. In the 2017 model, there is a large heatpipe between the heatsink and fan.

Note that Apple has been doing this since the 2018 MacBook Air, so it's not like it's a totally new problem.

MBA_3small-1-600x400.jpg

DICvm4w11sDrZQoF.huge.jpeg

To be fair I had a 2018 Air and had no issues thermally. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

what if they unveil the arm macbooks today? should i buy now or wait for arm macbooks to release?

9 hours ago, Ryan Kukreti said:

what if they unveil the arm macbooks today? should i buy now or wait for arm macbooks to release?

It depends on when they will be for sale and if you can wait that long. I bought a B450 motherboard only a few months before B550 was finally released. It does the job and I don't plan to upgrade for a while anyway* so buying it then still made sense.

*Probably not until 6700X or whatever the Intel version is at that point. Depends on which is better.

19 hours ago, UndisclosedAMDProcessor said:

Geez! I just watched that video, and you're right! Who in their right mind would think it was a good idea to kinda just have the heatsink hovering over the die?

it's not a Design Failure... i'm sure, the engineers know 100% what they do. Why wouldn't they, that's their Job ^^

it's probably all on purpose, so the Macbook Air's Performance doesn't leaps into Macbook Pro territory.

And they didn't bother to improve the Cooling System, because they will recycle that same Layout for the ARM models in the Future.

Would now be the right time to buy mbp or wait for arm mbp?

The right time to buy a new Computer is: When you need it.
If you wait a half year, you can also wait nother half year, May/June 2021 something new might be released.
Oh, and then you could wait for end of 2021 what's coming there...

You see... The World of Tech is moving fast. You could wait forever. There'll always be something now coming.

If ARM Macbooks really turn out to be more incredible than everyone imagined, you can always switch later.