Onboard sound not working

Stiffmeistro

Hello.

I ran into some problems today, where i wanted to install the new AMD beta drivers, and all of a sudden my onboard sound is not working.

I have tried reinstalling the old AMD Drivers that i used, but still nothing.

I have tried reinstalling the realtek sound drivers, but it dosent help. My motherboard registers my headset, but it wont play any sounds. And I have turned volumes up in windows, and windows says it plays sounds, but again: I cant hear it.

I tested my headset too, on my iPhone, and it works fine.

My motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0

Windows 7 Home Premium

I'm wondering if any of you guys got any suggestions what it might be? However, i'm going to bed now, so I cant answer right away. I'm also thinking about formatting my PC. That should do the trick, but if it is avoidable, that would make my life a whole lot easier. :-)

PC setup

Case: Fractal Define Nano S Windowed | Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty x370 Gaming-ITX/AC | CPU: Ryzen 1700 @ 3,8 GHz | GPU: Nvidia 1080 Ti Founders Edition | Ram: G.Skill Flare X @ 2933MHz | PSU: Corsair RM850

Cooling

CPU: EK Supremacy EVO | GPU: EK Block + Backplate | Rad: 2x EK-CoolStream SE 240 | Pump: EK XTOP DDC 3.2 | Res: EK-Res X3 110 | Fans: 4x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000

Misc: EK fittings | EK Ekoolant EVO | EK Duraclear tubing

If you right click on the speaker icon near the bottom right corner of your display, and select playback devices, what appears there listed?

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Speakers. Realtek High Definition Audio (Currently using this)

Realtek Digital Output. Realtek High Definition Audio

Realtek Digital Output(Optical). Realtek High Definition Audio

6x Digital Display Audio. Realtek High Definition Audio (However, it says those are not connected, and theres a picture of a TV, so I guess thats for HDMI)

PC setup

Case: Fractal Define Nano S Windowed | Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty x370 Gaming-ITX/AC | CPU: Ryzen 1700 @ 3,8 GHz | GPU: Nvidia 1080 Ti Founders Edition | Ram: G.Skill Flare X @ 2933MHz | PSU: Corsair RM850

Cooling

CPU: EK Supremacy EVO | GPU: EK Block + Backplate | Rad: 2x EK-CoolStream SE 240 | Pump: EK XTOP DDC 3.2 | Res: EK-Res X3 110 | Fans: 4x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000

That seems correct.

I have read a few topic with the same problem recently, I am starting to think the latest AMD drivers have an issue with Realtek drivers.

I guess I'll try reinstalling Windows, hopefully that'll do the trick.

Thanks anyway :-)

PC setup

Cooling

I guess I'll try reinstalling Windows, hopefully that'll do the trick.

Thanks anyway :-)

Make sure to create a restoration point before installing the latest AMD drivers in case it happens again.   If it does then I guess you could use older drivers for the video card to keep the onboard sound working.

just a thought, have you tried disabling all the other outputs/devices you are not using.  I sometimes have to disable the HDMI output device in order for realtek speakers to work again.

EDIT: mines an amd issue too. every time I plug in a hdmi cable and watch a movie I have to disable the HDMI in audio settings.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I already tried disabling all HDMI outputs, but still nothing. It's really weird, never heard or experienced anything like it.  :huh:

PC setup

Cooling

I've had the exact problem (although not the exact reason causing it). Mine was Realtek ALC887. Been using it for 2 years without any problem at all. Then I moved my PC to a new office, and it stopped working all of a sudden. Windows reported that sounds were coming out, but in reality, no sound at all. Tried all jacks, back and front. Tried updating, re-installing drivers, everything. 

Finally gave up, and got a xonar DG as replacement. I'm guessing bad soldering or something.