Best air cooler for a r5 2600x

Hunted_marksman

Hi I currently have a stock amd cooler, what would be the best cooler (that isn't really expensive ) I could get. I don't mind about the noise as I have a Vega 56 and it sounds like it's going to take off.

16 minutes ago, Hunted_marksman said:

Hi I currently have a stock amd cooler, what would be the best cooler (that isn't really expensive ) I could get. I don't mind about the noise as I have a Vega 56 and it sounds like it's going to take off.

I might point out that the stock cooler is effectively free since you have one.  It’s real hard to beat $0.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I might point out that the stock cooler is effectively free since you have one.  It’s real hard to beat $0.

Well it is good but im looking to get something better as my Vega heats up my entire system and that poor little stock fan is not enough

dark rock pro 4

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Macho RT.  Less buck, same to better bang.  More than he needs though maybe.  I thing the answer is more case cooling.  This seems to me like a bass ackward way to do it.  Would maybe work though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yeap. Improve case ventilation and look into your voltages with vega 56. You can usually run it under 1V and still get same or better than stock performance with 50-70W:s less.

Le Grand Macho RT or True Spirit 140 Power.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

10 hours ago, freeagent said:

Le Grand Macho RT or True Spirit 140 Power.

..or NH-D15 or CNPS20X

Depends on regional price. These options might be overkill though, as they are just premium products.

I'd personally take Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo.

I edit my posts more often than not

20 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

..or NH-D15 or CNPS20X

Depends on regional price. y options might be overkill though, as they are just premium products.

I'd perosnally take Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo.

Still depends on regional price though.  Esports may be more pricey than the larger gammax for example.  Basically it all about wattage since noise doesn’t seem to be a factor.  The AFesports is more or less an example of a good four pipe cooler.  (Not all pipes are good pipes. It confuses the issue.  A few are better, several are much worse.  Material, interior surface area (which is roughly measured by diameter), and type of wicking determine pipe quality.

the premium coolers discussed such as the dh15, etc are in the class of “6 pipe coolers” the legrande Macho is 7 pipe.  Iirc the pipes are slightly smaller making it effectively 6-6.5 or some such.

My suspicion is the cheapest way to solve this problem is not a bigger cooler, but finding out a way to extract the heat produced by the GPU.  That’s the problem.  

Bulling through it with a big ass cooler might work. LaSavate style. Take it,scream, and keep moving forward. big ass coolers cost big ass money though.  A lot of the coolers discussed are in the $100 range.

you might be able to solve this problem with a couple $5 fans on your case.

Le Grand Macho RT uses 7x 6mm pipes, TS140P uses 6x 8mm pipes. Arctic esport is not in the same class at all. D15 is over hyped, and Zalman.. meh. To each their own though.

Case flow is very important, if you have a silent system, chances are you aren’t moving enough air.

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

Le Grand Macho RT uses 7x 6mm pipes, TS140P uses 6x 8mm pipes. Arctic esport is not in the same class at all. D15 is over hyped, and Zalman.. meh. To each their own though.

Case flow is very important, if you have a silent system, chances are you aren’t moving enough air.

Yah. What matters is really the amount of wicking there is and what kind more and/or bigger pipes make for more interior surface area for more wicking.  There’s also radiator surface area.   Games are played. Alternate descriptors are used, standards are avoided.

Both have pipes, both have surface area. What games, what standards? These cooler are not new, and Thermalright has been making high end coolers longer than Noctua has been incorporated. I’m not that guy to recommend aliexpress coolers or anything like that. Quality goods only. I remember looking at my first Noctua cooler thinking they ripped off Thermalright lol. To each his own though..

32 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Both have pipes, both have surface area. What games, what standards? These cooler are not new, and Thermalright has been making high end coolers longer than Noctua has been incorporated. I’m not that guy to recommend aliexpress coolers or anything like that. Quality goods only. I remember looking at my first Noctua cooler thinking they ripped off Thermalright lol. To each his own though..

I’m the one that mentioned games and standards so I’m assuming this is directed at me.  It was an imprecise comment I guess.  To clarify:

I was referring to the industry in general.  Or more generally any industry really.

I mention pipes and fins because they’re variables. Not all pipes are created equal, though they can be considered broadly similar between types.  not all coolers have the same fin surface area, and those fins may transfer different amounts of heat depending on Their own shape and air behavior.

An example of standards:

TDP, which would be the reasonable end measurement, has no really useful standard of testing as far as consumers go, (this is to a large degree due the nature of the way air cooling works) and as a result can’t really be relied on as a number by consumers except in an extremely rough way,  So consumers are left guessing here to some degree.  The “big air” class of coolers, which is what is being talked about comparing such coolers as the dark rock pro 4, legrande macho RT, and Noctua d15, (and not as you said the esports) have listed TDPs ranging from low 200s to over 300w.  When tested though their behavior is pretty similar.  The legrande iirc works better with slow air flows than some of the others iirc.  

An example of games:

a common way for companies to work is conversion of standards.  Garbage haulers for example are middle men.  They collect the trash and haul it to the actual garbage collection facility.  They charge consumers by volume, but they pay by weight. They turn a standard (weight) into something much fuzzier (volume) and find their profit in the conversion because consumer trash, while often high volume, also quite often doesn’t actually weigh much.

It’s not inherently evil, necessarily. I did not intend to imply it was. It’s the way such things work.  Business will do business.

9 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

..or NH-D15 or CNPS20X

Depends on regional price. These options might be overkill though, as they are just premium products.

I'd personally take Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo.

The eSports is way cheaper in the UK than the macho RT and others would it suffice I've seen the eSports for round £35 which is alot better than the £50-60 for a dark rock which is the second cheapest 

6 minutes ago, Hunted_marksman said:

The eSports is way cheaper in the UK than the macho RT and others would it suffice I've seen the eSports for round £35 which is alot better than the £50-60 for a dark rock which is the second cheapest 

Esports is also 1/2 to 2/3rds the cooler a big air cooler is.   Esports is 1/4-1/3rd more cooler than the stock cooler.  If the stock cooler isn’t enough the esports might be.  Or it might not be. Big air might not even work

I’m starting to think 2fan top air in AIO if the case will do it.   Much as I dislike AIO, it Solves the case air problem dead for the cpu.  Still leaves the big Vega in trouble. Hopefully the extra air pressure will get the hot air out the back of the case through the spare pcie slots.  Overpressure cases suck because the air filters need to be cleaned a lot.  Not seeing a reliable way around it though.

On 6/18/2020 at 3:49 AM, Hunted_marksman said:

Hi, im basing on my experience. Got r5 3600 oc at 4300 and using a deepcool gammaxx 400 v2. And getting below 60deg using cinebench. Ofcourse i got 2 top 3 front and 1 back case fan. 

Hope it helps.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:39 AM, Bombastinator said:

I’m starting to think 2fan top air in AIO if the case will do it.   Much as I dislike AIO, it Solves the case air problem dead for the cpu.  Still leaves the big Vega in trouble. Hopefully the extra air pressure will get the hot air out the back of the case through the spare pcie slots.  Overpressure cases suck because the air filters need to be cleaned a lot.  Not seeing a reliable way around it though.

Well what I forgot to mention is it's flashed to a 64 so it's round 74c while gaming my case super constricts it so im looking at picking up a thermaltake p3

1 hour ago, Hunted_marksman said:

Well what I forgot to mention is it's flashed to a 64 so it's round 74c while gaming my case super constricts it so im looking at picking up a thermaltake p3

That could be another way to solve it.  What case do you have now?

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That could be another way to solve it.  What case do you have now?

A deepcool v2 shield

1 hour ago, Hunted_marksman said:

A deepcool v2 shield

Looked at the company website.  According to that the Thing seems to want 6 120mm fans, with the thee in front being static pressure, the two top being vertical capable bearing, and the back one being standard.  How many do you have?

38 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Looked at the company website.  According to that the Thing seems to want 6 120mm fans, with the thee in front being static pressure, the two top being vertical capable bearing, and the back one being standard.  How many do you have?

1 lol I haven't got anymore the front is basically useless as they is no vents it's just mesh 

6 minutes ago, Hunted_marksman said:

1 lol I haven't got anymore the front is basically useless as they is no vents it's just mesh 

There appear to be side vents so indirect air.  That’s why the front fans need to be static pressure 120s.  Put 140s in there and it wouldn’t do anything. 

40 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There appear to be side vents so indirect air.  That’s why the front fans need to be static pressure 120s.  Put 140s in there and it wouldn’t do anything. 

Ok i might get a new case otherwise I'll pick up some 120 fans