LTT Latest YT VIdeo - Gaming on Linux

Hi Guys

Just curious, Linus & Anthony discussed 3 distros for gaming on Linux in their latest videos... Ubuntu 20.04, Pop OS & Linux Mint (yes I know they are based on 20.04).

I am wanting to use an older model laptop with only 4GB ram and an i3 as a LAN CS:GO pc for when friends come over. Which option is less resource intensive and possibly better suited in your opinion?

Seems like they use Pop OS in the video so I'm thinking of trying that first...

TIA

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can try lubuntu or xubuntu, its ubuntu with a desktop enviroment that needs less resources.

Oh and definitely try Kubuntu too. KDE used to be an absolute chonkster in terms of memory usage, but now it consumes less than XFCE (which is used in Xubuntu), even with the fancy effects enabled. And it is a simple key combination (Alt+Shift+F12) to disable them, freeing some RAM for the game.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:36 PM, Matt Kovacs said:

Oh and definitely try Kubuntu too. KDE used to be an absolute chonkster in terms of memory usage, but now it consumes less than XFCE (which is used in Xubuntu), even with the fancy effects enabled. And it is a simple key combination (Alt+Shift+F12) to disable them, freeing some RAM for the game.

I can only agree, KDE is just awesome.

So I tried Pop OS and almost at the end of installing it failed "due to a possible hardware issue" which I believe is due in part to it being an older laptop (i3; 4gb ram, intel graphics). So I tried Kubuntu and had some issues trying to install it - had to use the "Safe Graphics" option. Then, spent an entire day trouble shooting as it wasn't opening applications and application windows disappeared into a system tray I had no access to. Eventually I figured out that they were all being displayed on my primary screen which doesn't exist (I removed it as that is what broke on the laptop)... oops. Once that was done I had to figure out installing Steam and CS:GO which didn't take me too long although my knowledge of Linux Terminal is extremely limited.

I really like the look and feel of Kubuntu. It makes a great OS for people like me wanting to jump into Linux as it has a similar feel to Windows. I'm definitely going to play with it more.

Unfortunately, CS:GO loads but freezes while trying to launch a map. I suspect it is due to the RAM, with only 4gb and the OS using about half of that, there just isn't enough to run the game it seems (yes all settings on lowest). Did the exact same thing as windows... I am going to try it with 8GB and see if that changes anything. I don't want it for any kind of crazy gaming experience but I have a few PC's at home now and I would love to make a small LAN setup for gaming when friends come over... For now it has been demoted to an HTPC to replace my old desktop HTPC running another distro (can't remember which one).