Science problem.. :/

vopos

So I have a question to do that is part of my homework and I don't know how to do it so I have come to the forum so that someone can explain to me how I do it. Here's the question:

The aircraft has a take-off mass of 320,000 kg. Each of the 4 engines can produce a maximum force of 240kN.

Use the equation in the box to calculate the maximum acceleration of the aircraft.

(This is in the box) resultant force=mass x acceleration

So, can anyone help me??

I used to be quite good at these but I have no idea

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

you have the mass and the force is 4x 240 000 so it should be 4  * 240 000= a * 320 000 <=> 960 000 = a * 320 000 <=> 960 000/320 000= a <=> a = 3 m/s

4*240,000=320000*acceleration --->  acceleration = (4*240000)/320000

(sum of forces)=mass*acceleration

Also, i think we are assuming gravity has no effect as the force it applies is quite small and they don't give any angles to allow for vector algebra.

max force = 4 * 240,000 N = 960,000 Newtons

mass of aircraft = 320,000 Kg

Acceleration = ?

F=ma

a=F/m

a=3 m/s/s

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

the mass is 320 000 kg, the force is (240 000*4)

960 000 000 = 320 000 * accelleration

this means that

960 000 000/320 000= 3 000cm/s

3000 cm/s /1000 = 3 m/s

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those were really fast answers oh my god

such speed. much skill. wow.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

4*240,000=320000*acceleration --->  acceleration = (4*240000)/320000

(sum of forces)=mass*acceleration

Also, i think we are assuming gravity has no effect as the force it applies is quite small and they don't give any angles to allow for vector algebra.

Well, I haven't been in a physics classroom in 6 years, so I'm possibly off-base. Wouldn't it make sense to factor in gravitational force? F_g = (320,000 kg) * (9.81 m/s^2)

Granted, that ends up being greater than the force provided by the four engines, so maybe the teacher isn't intending on including it. I guess the problem never specifies it takes place on Earth? xD

EDIT: Maybe it has something to do with the phrase "take-off mass", which implies ignoring gravity? *shrug*

Well, I haven't been in a physics classroom in 6 years, so I'm possibly off-base. Wouldn't it make sense to factor in gravitational force? F_g = (320,000 kg) * (9.81 m/s^2)

Granted, that ends up being greater than the force provided by the four engines, so maybe the teacher isn't intending on including it. I guess the problem never specifies it takes place on Earth? xD

EDIT: Maybe it has something to do with the phrase "take-off mass", which implies ignoring gravity? *shrug*

that is the force that pulls the aircraft down, it is ortogonal to the force that the engines produce, so there is no effect on the acceleration

it's relevand if you consider both gravity and friction, but that way you would need to multiply that gravitational force by a certain coefficient that would make it lower that the force provided by the engines

for this level of physics they usually intend it to be in an "isolated system" and ignore gravity and friction etc, once they start doing vector triangles itll start including gravity and other stuff

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Well as i kinda implied, the force that the engines provide is not completely vertical (as gravity is), its going to be at an angle meaning that the force from the engines has a vertical component(that gravity will affect) and a horizontal effect (unaffected by gravity). These two components cannot be calculated without knowing angle of lift off or values that will allow you to find it. 

Also, you are correct in saying that the force of gravity will be greater than the engine forces but it is actually much more complicated than that; there are other forces that are not mentioned such as the force opposing the air under the wings (1 of newtons laws that states that for every force, there is an equal and opposite force)

960 000 000/320 000= 3 000cm/s

3000 cm/s /1000 = 3 m/s

do you mean 3 cm/s coen?

no, its 960kN or 960000N. Also something is wrong because the units for acceleration are m/s^2

that is the force that pulls the aircraft down, it is ortogonal to the force that the engines produce, so there is no effect on the acceleration

it's relevand if you consider both gravity and friction, but that way you would need to multiply that gravitational force by a certain coefficient that would make it lower that the force provided by the engines

Ah, I gotcha, I was picturing some sort of VTOL in my mind for some reason. xD

i think that we turned a simple "do a single moltiplication" problem into a "phisics master degree must apply ALL the forces and do ALL the calculations" problem

i think that we turned a simple "do a single moltiplication" problem into a "phisics master degree must apply ALL the forces and do ALL the calculations" problem

Lol, even funnier is that fact that this is all within the first college level physics course.

Lol, even funnier is that fact that this is all within the first college level physics course.

First year of high school lel ^^ im 16 .__.

now we just need to apply some relativistic bullshit and we're done

so the OP will go back to the prof and explain him how the acceleration of the airplane slows down time and makes it grow in mass, so the answer to the problem is that the maximum acceleration is negative in space and negative in time, and the airplane will degenerate and become a freakin' eagle and use the passengers to feed all of its little birds in the prehistory

Just wait until these equations factor in the loss of mass due to exhaust. Then they get much more fun.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Just wait until these equations factor in the loss of mass due to exhaust. Then they get much more fun.

Coriolis effect anyone :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You forgot to mention if the gravity due to Jupiter is negligible or not.