is my friend wrong about his GPU and CPU

Tola

He has a AMD FX-8120 AND a AMD Raedon HD6970. I keep telling him to overclock but he keeps saying no im fine. His CPU come stock 3.1Ghz. Am I wrong that he should overclock. Btw hes getting a new build within the next couple of months.

PLEASE USE PCPARTPICKER.  My rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZBmWjX

more overclock=more performance+more heat + more better

you have to have decent cooling though, and a good power suplly

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Well i've done quite a decent ammount of damage from my overclocks and achieved nothing so i'd not recommend it.

what CPU cooler does he have?

Intel Core i5 4670K | Sapphire R9 290 | Define R4 | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | 8Gb Ballistix | Corsair RM650 | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Would love to be the owner of the: nAMDvidia Titation 3000 ultra-xt Platinum Edition :D

He has a H100i and a corsair TX750M

If he has a H100i, then he should either overclock, or get a smaller cooler... So much overkill on the cooling.

Overclocking is a preference. You can, or you can not... It's up to him. He would get more performance from overclocking, but again, his choice.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Overclocking (to a sertaint degree) can never be bad unless you damage your CPU/GPU in the process but CPU's last a long LONG time and even reducing the lifetime by 50% will still outlast everyones upgrade cycle even if it is 4 years...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

H100i

then he should overclock... Imo you shouldn't buy a 100i if you aren't overclocking, 

Intel Core i5 4670K | Sapphire R9 290 | Define R4 | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | 8Gb Ballistix | Corsair RM650 | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Would love to be the owner of the: nAMDvidia Titation 3000 ultra-xt Platinum Edition :D

then he should overclock... Imo you shouldn't buy a 100i if you aren't overclocking, 

thats what I told him hes like I run everything fine right now so I don't need to.

Allways OC the GPU. The time you have it is so short that you have to do it  in order to fully utilize it.

For the CPU he could see how far he can OC it without bumping up the voltages. That's the least everybody should do. I was abled to get 4.0 GHz on my 4670K with stock voltages.

who cares...

if his computer is fine and he is happy with it he doesnt need to.

He keeps complaining about his fps in games and I tell him to overclock, it might help but hes like noo.

With those specs he should definitely OC, unless he really want's his PC to be whisper quiet. In witch case he has an overkill PSU and cooler. He can easily OC the GPU, but if he is too scared to OC the CPU then do it for him. 

If i were you i would scold him for not doing it. 

What mobo does he have, and does he have any experience with computers.  

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

if he wants more performance then yes overclock.
if hes happy with what he has let the man be.

Overclock can damage. I don't recommend it, especially GPU.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

He keeps complaining about his fps in games and I tell him to overclock, it might help but hes like noo.

I guess i should say i know how you feel, my friend bought a I5 3350P (i can remember exactly but a P series chip). And only recently got a water cooler for it, it didn't get any quieter either, and the temps barely changed.

I even told him to reconsider, so many times.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

With those specs he should definitely OC, unless he really want's his PC to be whisper quiet. In witch case he has an overkill PSU and cooler. He can easily OC the GPU, but if he is too scared to OC the CPU then do it for him. 

If i were you i would scold him for not doing it. 

What mobo does he have, and does he have any experience with computers.  

Idk what mobo he has. I do push him alot to do it but he doesnt budge. I even offer to call him and walk him through it.

no nessacarly, if you dont add more voltage, then the temp. will stay the same. An example is my FX-4130 is OC'ed to 4.2GHz from the stock of 3.8 and i did not add ANY extra power.

He has a AMD FX-8120 AND a AMD Raedon HD6970. I keep telling him to overclock but he keeps saying no im fine. His CPU come stock 3.1Ghz. Am I wrong that he should overclock. Btw hes getting a new build within the next couple of months.

i would OC

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Overclock can damage. I don't recommend it, especially GPU.

Agreed, my GTX 650Ti boost, cant even OC with +30MHz.... xD

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Idk what mobo he has. I do push him alot to do it but he doesnt budge. I even offer to call him and walk him through it.

Have you given him reason to distrust you? Don't answer, going off topic. If he is that stubborn then there isn't much you can do. Or is there? Show him some benchmarks in games, especially those he plays, if that does not cut the mustard. Then nothing will, let him suffer from his low FPS.

Spoiler

I would tell him to sell the 8120 and get a 8350 as the performance difference is huge, because bulldozer chips suck in single threaded performance but piledriver is just under the Core I series and then just get an new GPU and also a SSD if he doesn't have one already as that will make a HUGE difference.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!