Looking to upgrade RAM from 8gb to 16...any recommendations on budget DDR4?

Hi everyone,

I posted earlier and have decided to go ahead and just upgrade the 8GB of 3200mhz RAM I currently have to 16gb. I was trying to download a game while playing another (locally) and it was a stuttering mess. After I checked out my RAM usage, it was over 90%

Anyways, can anybody recommend good RAM modules? I'm currently using G. Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200mhz. I'm looking for good budget RAM, should I just stick with this brand? I'm not sure what a good price on 16GB would be...Thanks!

MB - ASRock B450M HDV - 2 DIMM slots

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600AF

GPU - XFX RX5700 (non XT)

HDD - Seagate Barracuda - 1 TB

SSD - Gigabyte 240 GB 

PSU evga 500w 

6 minutes ago, K1ng said:

tbh ram is at a good price right now and https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3000MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0134EW7G8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=16gb+ddr4&qid=1591992397&sr=8-3 is probably only $5 to at most $10 more than the cheapest but worth the extra for the CL you get that a cheaper ram prob would not.

Interestingly enough, the 3200mhz variant is $5 cheaper...I wonder why.

Just now, Moemo67 said:

i was gonna reccomend those as well but they didnt pop up i have seen them around
If you want really budget you can go here and buy two single sticks https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YP6CW8P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 minutes ago, K1ng said:

i was gonna reccomend those as well but they didnt pop up i have seen them around
If you want really budget you can go here and buy two single sticks https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YP6CW8P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My only worry is I know Ryzen CPU's are very finicky about RAM...when I still had my R5 2400g, I had a heck of a time getting it to work. I've upgraded to a R5 1600 AF and it just worked (kept same timings in UEFI)...hopefully, this new RAM just works out of the box

well i will say as far as ram pickyness a 1600af is prob more picky than a 2400g. and your mobo will matter to. I have had ram compat issues but most really do work now but you may not get the rated mhz out of it. I have a 3200mhz dom plat kit i use and in reality gaming if i let my pc not xmp the mem it sets it to like 2132mhz vs 3200 and the performance dif is not that big esp in gaming. So if you get ram thats rated 2666 base no xmp i think you will be fine no matter. But i really would if you could spend the extra $15 to $20 on the corsair. But v-color i know works on a 2200g and 2600

just make sure you have the most up to date mobo bios that really does help ram compat. My 3200 didnt want to run at 3200mhz at all on my 2600. On my 3600 it did ok but after the latest bios update it auto sets to 3200 and runs great so improvements come with time.

7 minutes ago, K1ng said:

well i will say as far as ram pickyness a 1600af is prob more picky than a 2400g. and your mobo will matter to. I have had ram compat issues but most really do work now but you may not get the rated mhz out of it. I have a 3200mhz dom plat kit i use and in reality gaming if i let my pc not xmp the mem it sets it to like 2132mhz vs 3200 and the performance dif is not that big esp in gaming. So if you get ram thats rated 2666 base no xmp i think you will be fine no matter. But i really would if you could spend the extra $15 to $20 on the corsair. But v-color i know works on a 2200g and 2600

Yeah...I'd like to get at least the same RAM speed, if not higher. I'm happy with the 3200mhz I currently have when I'm not running out of memory. I have a lot of issues with Steam games (especially with Oculus running in the background) it is almost unbearably sluggish. It could just be that the steam suite is crap.

1 minute ago, K1ng said:

just make sure you have the most up to date mobo bios that really does help ram compat. My 3200 didnt want to run at 3200mhz at all on my 2600. On my 3600 it did ok but after the latest bios update it auto sets to 3200 and runs great so improvements come with time.

Yeah, I haven't updated my bios in a year and a half...I'm too afraid it's not going to not boot afterwards

33 minutes ago, steelo said:

Yeah, I haven't updated my bios in a year and a half...I'm too afraid it's not going to not boot afterwards

You've done some research then. Smart man! 

So if you do update bios, set all defaults and restart enter bios and power off. Remove psu power and clear cmos. Hook the power up and then update the bios as described on the web site. If you must start with earlier bios before the most recent be sure to follow the directions. Gigabyte is very well known for only going up one bios revision at a time. Must be sure chipset drivers are up to date before any bios update on any botherboard. 

Once you have the new bios installed, it will ask you to enter for set up. You again want to set all defaults and clear cmos. This ensures that everything is stock before and after the bios update.

But this is how you can be better assured the bios flash will be just fine.

Most peole dont even think of setting all defaulta let alone clear cmos before a bios update. Thats the most important time to do a clear cmos actually. Ive had to recover a few bios from not clearing the cmos or at the very least set all defaults.

I went ahead and ordered the t force vulcan ram...set to be delivered sunday (I love amazon prime)

Thanks everyone for your input!

5 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You've done some research then. Smart man! 

So if you do update bios, set all defaults and restart enter bios and power off. Remove psu power and clear cmos. Hook the power up and then update the bios as described on the web site. If you must start with earlier bios before the most recent be sure to follow the directions. Gigabyte is very well known for only going up one bios revision at a time. Must be sure chipset drivers are up to date before any bios update on any botherboard. 

Once you have the new bios installed, it will ask you to enter for set up. You again want to set all defaults and clear cmos. This ensures that everything is stock before and after the bios update.

But this is how you can be better assured the bios flash will be just fine.

Most peole dont even think of setting all defaulta let alone clear cmos before a bios update. Thats the most important time to do a clear cmos actually. Ive had to recover a few bios from not clearing the cmos or at the very least set all defaults.

Yeah, I've never had good luck with this process in the past. IMO, if it works, theres no reason to update (unless there is some serious security vulnerability)

1 hour ago, steelo said:

Yeah, I've never had good luck with this process in the past. IMO, if it works, theres no reason to update (unless there is some serious security vulnerability)

That absolutely true and false at the same time. 

Many updates include stability and reliability updates as well as memory support on top of other bios bug fixes. 

They mention it's risky because people don't follow directions.

Any how, I've seen bios flashes help more often than be an issue.