Ryzen 3 3300x high temps with new build

Hello,

I have recently (today) just built my first PC (long time laptop user), however my Ryzen 3 3300x is behaving weirdly and getting in high temps while browsing web

another weird thing is that the fan speed and fan tachometer in the afterburner report 0 all the time

I'm using stock cooler that came with the ryzen, as I am sort of out of money atm :D

any idea what might be happening, and how to fix it? I haven't even tested it while gaming yet

spacer.png

spacer.png

You posted pictures of the RTX 2060's temps not the 3300x, what are the temps the 3300x is getting too under load, and what is it doing that is weird?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You posted pictures of the RTX 2060's temps not the 3300x, what are the temps the 3300x is getting too under load, and what is it doing that is weird?

you can clearly see the "CPU temperature" tag above it

the weird is it's temperature behavior while doing basically nothing

That is not the cpu temps lol 

Update the bios and use hwinfo64 or ryzen master to monitor temps 

Idle temps don't matter if load temps are fine 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Afterburner  does show CPU temps, just is it reliable?

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

That is not the cpu temps lol 

Update the bios and use hwinfo64 or ryzen master to monitor temps 

Idle temps don't matter if load temps are fine 

literally says "CPU Temperature" right there above it, below is CPU usage, the GPU temps are below

1 minute ago, SEnergy said:

do recommend using something like hwinfo to check for temps. 

but the temp behavior appears to be what we expect from the aggressive boost nature of the CPU. 

it the CPU fanspeed is ramping and slowing a lot in that range, then tune the fancurve a little in the bios. 

2 minutes ago, SEnergy said:

literally says "CPU Temperature" right there above it, below is CPU usage, the GPU temps are below

As I said 

Use hwinfo64 or ryzen master to monitor temps 

They are the only ones that can monitor zen temps  the most accurately

Update the bios and check 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Considering the temps are real, maybe reseat CPU and check the thermal paste when at it?

After considering raising a fan curve to a bit higher rpm...

I edit my posts more often than not

13 minutes ago, SEnergy said:

any idea what might be happening, and how to fix it? I haven't even tested it while gaming yet

still havent shown anything that needs fixing. 

how are load temps when looping cinebench or prime95(or similar)? idle temps rarely are indicative of anything. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

how are load temps when looping cinebench or prime95(or similar)? idle temps rarely are indicative of anything. 

I might add 

For all we know it could be a wrong reading 

Use hwinfo64 

Also idle temps on ryzen is really inconsistent and can spike up and down 

Also idle temps don't matter if load temps are fine 

Build Log: 

24 minutes ago, SEnergy said:

you can clearly see the "CPU temperature" tag above it

MSI Afterburner isn't the best software for reading CPU temps especially Ryzen. Use HWinfo64 or Ryzen Master to check your temps of the CPU. We need to know idle and load temps, to better accurately tell you if you have thermal issue.

Ok.... if you only say it's doing weird things and don't clarify you are still talking about temps, there are tons of things that we can think of besides just the temp which was already mentioned, the way you typed/explained it made it sound as the something weird was happening on top of temp issues.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

19 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

sorry, as I said, I am a long term laptop user (this is basically my first desktop) and I haven't seen such temperature changes in my laptops - ever, that includes some bulky gaming laptops, so I just find this behavior really weird, as it doesn't really seem normal to me

17 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

I might add 

For all we know it could be a wrong reading 

Use hwinfo64 

Also idle temps on ryzen is really inconsistent and can spike up and down 

Also idle temps don't matter if load temps are fine 

the readings aren't wrong apparently, according to the hwinfo the temp spiked up to 74C recently, with average of 52, the screenshot is a few minutes older tho - during those 2 minutes on the screenshot, I was idle just watching this sensor status, and I find the temperature spiking between 42-64 in a matter of milliseconds rather weird

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

MSI Afterburner isn't the best software for reading CPU temps especially Ryzen. Use HWinfo64 or Ryzen Master to check your temps of the CPU. We need to know idle and load temps, to better accurately tell you if you have thermal issue.

Ok.... if you only say it's doing weird things and don't clarify you are still talking about temps, there are tons of things that we can think of besides just the temp which was already mentioned, the way you typed/explained it made it sound as the something weird was happening on top of temp issues.

I'm going to download some benchmark tools and post temps after that, keep in mind I just spent like 5 hours building this (first build ever), am tired AF and just want to enjoy it a little bit, however as I mentioned in previous post, coming from gaming laptops I've never seen spikes like these, which is why I find it weird

and I find the temperature spiking between 42-64 in a matter of milliseconds rather weird

Normal for the most part 

Build Log: 

however as I mentioned in previous post, coming from gaming laptops I've never seen spikes like these, which is why I find it weird

Ryzen 3k is very agressive in its boost nature. 

if it get close to overheating when under load, then you might have an issue, but atm it seems like normal behavior

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Ryzen 3k is very agressive in its boost nature. 

if it get close to overheating when under load, then you might have an issue, but atm it seems like normal behavior

OCCT benchmark... this does not really seem normal to me

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, SEnergy said:

OCCT benchmark... this does not really seem normal to me

that seems a tad hot yeah. 

how are ambient temps and case airflow? 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

that seems a tad hot yeah. 

how are ambient temps and case airflow? 

no idea about ambient temp, but it's rather warm here, and the airflow isn't great, as I have only 1 intake and 1 exhaust because I kinda fucked up and can't connect more fans to the MB nor case atm, need a splitter first, case is Phanteks P400A

12 minutes ago, SEnergy said:

no idea about ambient temp, but it's rather warm here, and the airflow isn't great, as I have only 1 intake and 1 exhaust because I kinda fucked up and can't connect more fans to the MB nor case atm, need a splitter first, case is Phanteks P400A

could be a combo of ambient temps and poorer case airflow. 

that was under a synthetic stress test?

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

could be a combo of ambient temps and poorer case airflow. 

that was under a synthetic stress test?

yes, a little bit short of 3 minutes in OCCT... I didn't really want to push it further as I wasn't interested in seeing it burn :D

Just now, SEnergy said:

yes, a little bit short of 3 minutes in OCCT... I didn't really want to push it further as I wasn't interested in seeing it burn :D

well that isnt a very big cooler. 

see how it goes, perhaps reseat to see if it helps any. could just be ambient + case airflow. 

59 minutes ago, SEnergy said:

Ambient temp and airflow can cause higher temps then normal especially during a synthetic stress test. I would re-seat the stock cooler, make sure it is installed correctly, and check that the thermal paste is correctly applied. If even after re-seating you see higher than usual temps you may just have to deal with them until you get the other case fans correctly hooked up. The stock cooler should be able to adequately cool the CPU no problem. Synthetic loads are a lot harder on the CPU than when actually gaming so you likely will not get anywhere near that when gaming. After checking the cooler mounting check your temps during gameplay as long as you're under 90c you should be fine to use it until you can get the other fans/better cooling going.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I ran same OCCT test and got these results. The CPU is a bit cooler than SEnery test, but I am not sure if they are normal or I should use a better cooler than stock one. My idle temps goes from 30 to 60 just moving the mouse. I have my PC in a well ventilated place and have 4 120mm corsair fans in the case, air flow inside the case I think there is no problem there since cables are well managed.

Regards

OCCT-20200724-173650-CPUOCCT.png