Another 9900k too hot thread...

Hello everyone!

Yes another one... I do have a 9900k and as you can guess yes it goes warmy, I play VR and in my sessions it can go to high 80s.

I have a silverstone rl06 and a noctua nh12u, 3 fans 12'' in the front as intake, 2 at the top and 1 at the back as exaust.

I have a 2070 super, weirdly enough this guy only reaches 55.

I readed a lot about AIOs and I guess I will not get a better cooling from there, the bad part is I only can fit a 240mm rad in my case (which is barely new btw).

Any advice? Will a nh15 really improve my temps? (my noctua is fairly new too)

Will a custom loop keep my temps under control?

Cooling gurus help!

any intel cpu bellow 90c will work 10+ years , i have laptop thats old AF and was constantly running World of warcraft 85-95c for thousand of hours, and it still works and is turned ON 24/7 playing random youtube videos, and also when i format it its working like brand fucking new

Disable MCE or any other auto overclocking your motherboard might have.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I already disabled MCE and updated BIOS, my motherboard (gigabyte z390 aorus ultra) overlocked the vcore as hell and I got 90+ degrees :/

Is there no cooling solution for this?

What did you do to us Intel? Shame!

9 minutes ago, xamizin said:

I already disabled MCE and updated BIOS, my motherboard (gigabyte z390 aorus ultra) overlocked the vcore as hell and I got 90+ degrees :/

What do your temperatures look like in a full 100% workload, like when running Cinebench for example? Also, what do your Vcore, VCCSA (System Agent) and VCCIO voltages look like at load? (you can check these using HWiNFO64)

If anything, I get spikes in the high 70s or low 80s at 100% load even at the stock 4.7GHz all-core boost with a Dark Rock Pro 4, which performs similarly to the NH-D15 (granted in not the most airflow optimised case out there but still).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

6 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

What do your temperatures look like in a full 100% workload, like when running Cinebench for example? Also, what do your Vcore, VCCSA (System Agent) and VCCIO voltages look like at load? (you can check these using HWiNFO64)

If anything, I get spikes in the high 70s or low 80s at 100% load even at the stock 4.7GHz all-core boost with a Dark Rock Pro 4, which performs similarly to the NH-D15 (granted in not the most airflow optimised case out there but still).

You gave me work to do, let me a few hours to set everything up and I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for helping!

EDIT: Also I have a nh12 not 15... IDK how far are those on terms of temps

Edited by xamizin
add info

17 minutes ago, xamizin said:

Underclock it then

6 minutes ago, xamizin said:

You gave me work to do, let me a few hours to set everything up and I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for helping!

EDIT: Also I have a nh12 not 15... IDK how far are those on terms of temps

Haha it's not much work really. Just download those two applications and note down some values.

Also, when you run Cinebench, does your CPU maintain 4.7GHz on all cores throughout the render, or does it drop after a few seconds to somewhere around the 4.0-4.2GHz mark? 

I know you don't have the D15, I was just pointing out the fact that this chip runs hot even on a really high-end dual-tower cooler, so you shouldn't necessarily be super surprised that it runs hot with a U12S.

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Haha it's not much work really. Just download those two applications and note down some values.

I know you don't have the D15, I was just pointing out the fact that this chip runs hot even on a really high-end dual-tower cooler, so you shouldn't necessarily be super surprised that it runs hot with a U12S.

I know! But I'm working right now... I don't want to get distracted... too much :)

Is really no way of down that temps right? This is like a lost case.

Anyway a little oftopic, I'm searching for a fairly cheap and big nvme... How is the 660p? I saw it a lot of mixed reviews out there.

6 minutes ago, xamizin said:

I know! But I'm working right now... I don't want to get distracted... too much :)

Anyway a little oftopic, I'm searching for a fairly cheap and big nvme... How is the 660p? I saw it a lot of mixed reviews out there.

The 660p is very overhyped for what is essentially a low end drive. The Crucial P1 or Sabrent Rocket are much better

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

With that cooler, yes. This specific CPU is known to consume almost 200W in full-load scenarios at that clock, the cooler is a little overwhelmed with it permanently. That's why these things require either a top-of-the-line air cooler or a water cooler. Also, within its rated TDP settings of 95W permanent power consumption after the Turbo Boost Short Power Max expired, it should be fine. But a lot of motherboards until the 10th Gen really liked running the Turbo Boost Short value permanently (as a way to "artifially overclock it) and basically allowed it to roam free instead of "throttling down" the CPU to its intended TDP value in the long run, basically acting outside of Intels recommended settings. On a lot of boards you can actually enable the Turbo Boost (Long) Power Max value and set it to 95W and enable it after the Intel-recommended time.

I still has to do some homework Mateyyy gave to me but meanwhile... Do you have any cooling recomendations in my case? Anything that will work, or help lowering the temps?

I'm up to spend the 300€ (not happily but what else I can do) a custom loop costs (as I checked) but only if it really helps, but not if that only helps 2-3º.

Just now, xamizin said:

Well if you can't improve the airflow in your case any more and don't want to crank fan speeds further, you could underclock it a bit or try undervolting, as @5x5 suggested above.

It depends. If you plan on using it just for games, something like a 660p or Crucial P1 will be enough. If you also plan on installing the OS on it, I'd advise you instead get something like a Sabrent Rocket, ADATA SX8200 Pro, HP EX950, WD SN750, Samsung 970 Evo or Silicon Power P34A80.

5 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

Well if you can't improve the airflow in your case any more and don't want to crank fan speeds further, you could underclock it a bit or try undervolting, as @5x5 suggested above.

It depends. If you plan on using it just for games, something like a 660p or Crucial P1 will be enough. If you also plan on installing the OS on it, I'd advise you instead get something like a Sabrent Rocket, ADATA SX8200 Pro, HP EX950, WD SN750, Samsung 970 Evo or Silicon Power P34A80.

Here are the results, I did 3 consecutive runs, in all of them I got 1.272 in vcore, 1.080 in vccsa and 0.946 in vccio (I'm gonna search what the hell any of this means :D)

Temperature wise was a bit bad (for my taste at least), it was 78 for the first run, 80 in the second and 82 in the third... I don't like were this is going!

Any recomendations from here?

13 minutes ago, xamizin said:

Here are the results, I did 3 consecutive runs, in all of them I got 1.272 in vcore, 1.080 in vccsa and 0.946 in vccio (I'm gonna search what the hell any of this means :D)

Temperature wise was a bit bad (for my taste at least), it was 78 for the first run, 80 in the second and 82 in the third... I don't like were this is going!

Any recomendations from here?

Okay, that actually sounds alright. I was thinking that maybe your motherboard might be pumping too much voltage to the CPU (which is what happened to me), but those sound normal.

Are those the max temps? And do the cores on your CPU start out at 4.7GHz then drop later through the Cinebench run? (that should be normal, stock behaviour)

Now I personally think you're fine. I mean sure those are high temps, but granted that's just how these chips run. Intel sure did try their best to improve thermal performance with the 10th gen Comet Lake-S (so under the same circumstances, a 10700K will run cooler than a 9900K), but there's only so much you can do in terms of efficiency on the same architecture they've been using for the past 4-5 years.

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Okay, that actually sounds alright. I was thinking that maybe your motherboard might be pumping too much voltage to the CPU (which is what happened to me), but those sound normal.

Are those the max temps? And do the cores on your CPU start out at 4.7GHz then drop later through the Cinebench run? (that should be normal, stock behaviour)

Now I personally think you're fine. I mean sure those are high temps, but granted that's just how these chips run. Intel sure did try their best to improve thermal performance with the 10th gen Comet Lake-S (so under the same circumstances, a 10700K will run cooler than a 9900K), but there's only so much you can do in terms of efficiency on the same architecture they've been using for the past 4-5 years.

Yea the voltage happened to me at start... I think I reseated the cpu cooler 15 times until I realized... BIOS update and fixed (it reached 95ºc back then)

I can get more temps for sure, I saw them higher just in vr (there are games that makes the cpu suffer). I think it remained at 4.7 all the time all the cores during the tests tho...

Now, I want this cpu to run cooler, I know maybe it's not necessary but its my baby and I want it to last...

Will an 240 aio help? Should I change the cooler for a nh15? More fans? Better fans? Another case? And last... custom loop?

It still weird me that I can push the gpu 100% for hours and it remains in the 50s.

3 minutes ago, xamizin said:

Yea the voltage happened to me at start... I think I reseated the cpu cooler 15 times until I realized... BIOS update and fixed (it reached 95ºc back then)

I can get more temps for sure, I saw them higher just in vr (there are games that makes the cpu suffer). I think it remained at 4.7 all the time all the cores during the tests tho...

Now, I want this cpu to run cooler, I know maybe it's not necessary but its my baby and I want it to last...

Will an 240 aio help? Should I change the cooler for a nh15? More fans? Better fans? Another case? And last... custom loop?

It still weird me that I can push the gpu 100% for hours and it remains in the 50s.

Yeah things like that can happen, particularly with early BIOS revisions.

A 240mm AIO should perform about as well as an NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, maybe fall just slightly behind those two air coolers. I also always tend to recommend air coolers over AIOs because of their reliability (other than the fans there aren't many points of failure, whereas with AIOs there's the pump, coolant/tubing and the fans), and potentially quieter operation (again, no pump, which is an extra noise producer). To get better than high-end air cooler performance you'd be looking at 280mm or 360mm AIOs.

I just looked up the RL06 which you're using and watching Gamers Nexus' video, it seems it's among the best performers when it comes to thermals, so I doubt a different case would really help. How are all of your fans configured in the case, exactly?

And yeah those are quite some low temps for a 2070S at full load. What model is it, and what clock speeds do you get on it while gaming? 

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah things like that can happen, particularly with early BIOS revisions.

A 240mm AIO should perform about as well as an NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, maybe fall just slightly behind those two air coolers. I also always tend to recommend air coolers over AIOs because of their reliability (other than the fans there aren't many points of failure, whereas with AIOs there's the pump, coolant/tubing and the fans), and potentially quieter operation (again, no pump, which is an extra noise producer). To get better than high-end air cooler performance you'd be looking at 280mm or 360mm AIOs.

I just looked up the RL06 which you're using and watching Gamers Nexus' video, it seems it's among the best performers when it comes to thermals, so I doubt a different case would really help. How are all of your fans configured in the case, exactly?

And yeah those are quite some low temps for a 2070S at full load. What model is it, and what clock speeds do you get on it while gaming? 

Yea that is what I readed about AIOs... The bad part about my case is that only a 240 rad fits in the front (technically you can mount one on the top but it has to be paper thin). I bought the case just for that review! I have 3 in the front as intakes, then 2 up exaust and 1 on the back exausting too.

What about a nhd15 upgrade? Do you think that will help? I mean I know it will help... but I don't want to spend 100 bucks for 2º improvement.

Its a "KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 1-Click OC 8GB" I have msi afterburner with power limit and temp limit to the max (Jay style) and custom fan curve (core and memory at +0 tho), but I think the fans don't go higher as 60%. I'm sorry but I have no idea about the clock speeds... I will play some later, I'll log it and come back to share with you.

EDIT: After like 1 hour in pavlov I got 46ºC max temp, my clocks are mostly 1920 and rarely spikes at 1935, that is what MSI Afterburner logs.

Just a little bump here as I'm trying to understand what is going on and what are the steps to fix it...

I think my case is ok since my gpu its happy and cool, I start playing with vcores and stuff, I can get 5ghz all cores stable at 1.3v (idk if that is good or not), in this case scenario of course the temps go high as 90ºc which makes me unconfortable... The reason of doing this is I want to have butter smooth vr experience.

I realized my cpu goes up to close to 80ºc at start any tests (in stock mode which in my case with my mb is 4.7 all cores), and then go down to 30s again instantaneally... I'm trying to figure out why and how to fix it.

I'm thinking the problem is the CPU, that the hot is trapped and don't reach the cooler, so I'm thinking on crazy things like direct die (maybe copper IHS upgrade?) with a dh-15 upgrade.

I saw a lot of mixed reports about this process, people are saying that you only can get 5ºc improvement, some say you can get 20+.

Advice? Ideas? Help?