BIOS updates

Alright. So I haven't preformed a BIOS update in years. And to tell you how long ago, UEIF wasn't even a thing yet (the blue cmos screen was the typical interface).

I'm not a beginner at PCs by any stretch, I just avoided this one particular thing because when the older BIOS needed updated, if you messed up, your mobo was done for. And I have just avoided it like the plague because nothing ever messed up and I didn't want to brick the motherboard. (and I mean hey, MSI's website says that if it's not broke, don't fix it). But, I need to figure this out, because the BIOS should get updates by me when they come out for my x470 and x570.

However, I have an older motherboard now (MSI x470 Gaming Pro) for a 2nd machine that I need to finally update the bios for in order to add support for the Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs, and the additional memory compatibility they've added.

So in short, what is the best method. There's all these programs now, and I've read like 3 different ways, but which way is fool proof.

Second question, some places mention that a "backup" exists of the bios. How does this come into play if an update fails.

4 minutes ago, oorty said:

, if you messed up, your mobo was done for. 

That's still the case lol

4 minutes ago, oorty said:

what is the best method. There's all these programs now, and I've read like 3 different ways, but which way is fool proof.

You go to your manufacturers site 

You go to support

You type your exact mobo model and then you download the latest bios

Watch a video on how to do it 😉

5 minutes ago, oorty said:

Second question, some places mention that a "backup" exists of the bios. How does this come into play if an update fails.

It's called a dual bios motherboard 

If one fail you just switch to the other one 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, oorty said:

So in short, what is the best method. There's all these programs now, and I've read like 3 different ways, but which way is fool proof.

1) The best method is to update from the bios, not a program within windows. Here are the instructions taken from the manual:

Before updating:

Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI website. And then save the BIOS file into the USB flash drive.

Updating BIOS:

Insert the USB flash drive that contains the update file into the computer.

Press <Ctrl+F5> key during POST.

Click on Yes to reboot the system and enter the flash mode.

Select a BIOS file to perform the BIOS update process.

After the flashing process is 100% completed, the system will reboot automatically.

2) The "backup" is a second BIOS chip, not all motherboards have them though. After a quick glance at the product page and manual for your motherboard, I don't think yours does so same thing applies as it used to, if something get's screwed up during the update process, the motherboard is bricked. 

Thanks. I'm going to have to download multiple bios files I guess just in case.

Some people complained that the most recent bios updates are causing random issues, and a lot of people have had to revert back.

I assumed all boards included a backup bios to prevent the brick issue, didn't realize it was still an issue. Going to have to do some more research first, this is why I've stayed away from them was fear of losing a board over something so simple like a bios update.

20 minutes ago, oorty said:

Alright. So I haven't preformed a BIOS update in years. And to tell you how long ago, UEIF wasn't even a thing yet (the blue cmos screen was the typical interface).

I'm not a beginner at PCs by any stretch, I just avoided this one particular thing because when the older BIOS needed updated, if you messed up, your mobo was done for. And I have just avoided it like the plague because nothing ever messed up and I didn't want to brick the motherboard. (and I mean hey, MSI's website says that if it's not broke, don't fix it). But, I need to figure this out, because the BIOS should get updates by me when they come out for my x470 and x570.

However, I have an older motherboard now (MSI x470 Gaming Pro) for a 2nd machine that I need to finally update the bios for in order to add support for the Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs, and the additional memory compatibility they've added.

Backup of a BIOS is mostly for "dual bios" motherboard, which I'm pretty sure this isn't the case.

With MSI, if the motherboard supports Flashback+ you can update the BIOS without a CPU using a USB stick plugged in the Flashback USB PORT.

Otherwise if you have a currently compatible CPU, you can either:

Or use an MSI utility like MSI LIVE UPDATE and use it in Windows mode to download and update the BIOS for you.

Beware that power loss can brick or kill the mobo during a flash update.