Fractal Define R6, or 7?

lumpenrose

been wanting to build my own pc for a while now. i was reccomended the define R6 from fractal. but now i hear of the define 7

any advantages to one over the other? whats the difference between the two?
thank u

Essentially they are the same case, the R6 is already an excellent product and the Define 7 is it's natural evolution, there are some minor improvements (which is what it's supposed to happen with these products!) or aesthetical changes.

I will tell you the ones that comes to my mind.

The Define 7 has an USB Type-C port on the front panel while to get this on the Define R6 you have to either specifically buy the "Define R6 UBS-C version" or buy an upgrade kit from Fractal.

If you plan on not using the top of the case for ventilation, then the Define 7 looks better because it has a full top panel.

If you instead plan on using the top for ventilation, then I prefer the look of the Define R6 since the Define 7 has a strange (horrible for me) dust filter/vent mesh combination.

The top fan mount is different on the Define 7, you can remove it completely to be more confortable working on the case (the R6 one comes off completely as well but the "front bracket" remains attached to the case, don't know how to explain actually).

The PSU shroud has also a new mesh (better than the R6 IMO) and the front section of it is also different, offers more possibilities since it has two pieces and the mounting system better to work on. The back also has some improvement for cable management and the most notable one is the different position of the fan hub that now is at the top and is better.

The front panel is now magnetic on the Define 7 (not a big change TBH) and the 5.25" drive bay in the Define 7 has a small dust filter instead of a plastic cover and allows for fans to be shifted "up there" meaning the front now supports maximum 3*140mm instead of 3*120mm as it was on the R6.

3 minutes ago, Mamonos said:

Essentially they are the same case, the R6 is already an excellent product and the Define 7 is it's natural evolution, there are some minor improvements (which is what it's supposed to happen with these products!) or aesthetical changes.

I will tell you the ones that comes to my mind.

The Define 7 has an USB Type-C port on the front panel while to get this on the Define R6 you have to either specifically buy the "Define R6 UBS-C version" or buy an upgrade kit from Fractal.

If you plan on not using the top of the case for ventilation, then the Define 7 looks better because it has a full top panel.

If you instead plan on using the top for ventilation, then I prefer the look of the Define R6 since the Define 7 has a strange (horrible for me) dust filter/vent mesh combination.

The top fan mount is different on the Define 7, you can remove it completely to be more confortable working on the case (the R6 one comes off completely as well but the "front bracket" remains attached to the case, don't know how to explain actually).

The PSU shroud has also a new mesh (better than the R6 IMO) and the front section of it is also different, offers more possibilities since it has two pieces and the mounting system better to work on. The back also has some improvement for cable management and the most notable one is the different position of the fan hub that now is at the top and is better.

The front panel is now magnetic on the Define 7 (not a big change TBH) and the 5.25" drive bay in the Define 7 has a small dust filter instead of a plastic cover and allows for fans to be shifted "up there" meaning the front now supports maximum 3*140mm instead of 3*120mm as it was on the R6.

awesome, this is very helpful. this is my first time building a pc, and i did watch this video:

they make it clear that the case is good for gpu temp's, but not great for cpu temps, so it'd be "wise to keep the front door open, with the filter off"
thing is, yes i do game, but most frequently im on firefox alongside having a few other apps open like audacity, discord, notepad++ so, i wouldnt mind keeping the door open if i am gonna put some games on
i also wish to put fans on the top ofc for ventilation, i dont mind the aesthetics of either on the top.
any advice regarding this and what would seem best for me?
thanks again !

Well that is in "comparison" of other cases, in my opinion is really "thermal obsession" and the temperatures even with air cooling are totally acceptable. And to be honest I don't really see the point to buy a case like the Define R6/7 and keep the front panel open or even remove it since that is it's main aesthetical feature with that clean sleek look, at that point I would just buy another case (like the Meshify which offers more or less the same features but is more air- and less noise-focused).

Personally I would stick with the R6 because the top ventilation panel on the Define 7 really bugs me off and I am ready to give up on the additional features for this aesthetical reasons, if you don't care about it as you say then I would get the Define 7 for all the small but nice improvements it brings on.

3 minutes ago, Mamonos said:

Well that is in "comparison" of other cases, in my opinion is really "thermal obsession" and the temperatures even with air cooling are totally acceptable. And to be honest I don't really see the point to buy a case like the Define R6/7 and keep the front panel open or even remove it since that is it's main aesthetical feature with that clean sleek look, at that point I would just buy another case (like the Meshify which offers more or less the same features but is more air- and less noise-focused).

Personally I would stick with the R6 because the top ventilation panel on the Define 7 really bugs me off and I am ready to give up on the additional features for this aesthetical reasons, if you don't care about it as you say then I would get the Define 7 for all the small but nice improvements it brings on.

i dont mind the top aesthetics. I'll go with the define 7 then
thank u so much!!!!!

47 minutes ago, Mamonos said:

oh btw lastly, the r6 has this tempered glass window for the back of the case, which is amazing, but i cant find it for the define 7
i was planning on doing beautiful cable management, but if i cant find a nice window for the back, i wont get to show it off xD
ya know where to find one for the design 7?
https://www.newegg.com/fractal-design-fd-acc-wnd-def-r6-bk-tgl-black/p/N82E16811994066

The panels of the Define 7 can also be mounted on both sides.

At the moment, according to their website, Fractal Design produces the panel for the Define 7 but (only the Dark TG version).

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/accessories/tempered-glass-side-panel-dark-tinted-tg-define-7/black/

However, I was not able to find it in stock at any retailer - the Define 7 was released end of last february and therefore is basically a new case (especially if you consider COVID related issues) normally these Fractal Design accessories take a while until they are available on stock.

37 minutes ago, Mamonos said:

The panels of the Define 7 can also be mounted on both sides.

At the moment, according to their website, Fractal Design produces the panel for the Define 7 but (only the Dark TG version).

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/accessories/tempered-glass-side-panel-dark-tinted-tg-define-7/black/

However, I was not able to find it in stock at any retailer - the Define 7 was released end of last february and therefore is basically a new case (especially if you consider COVID related issues) normally these Fractal Design accessories take a while until they are available on stock.

yeah i wanted light tempered, ill wait a while then thank u

I have an R6 and I can only say good things about it. Great case , Loads of space. I have 2 rads in it . 

3 hours ago, Xkillerpn said:

I have an R6 and I can only say good things about it. Great case , Loads of space. I have 2 rads in it . 

+1; I had the choice between the R6 and R7.  Since I did not need a front Type C connector, I saved some money and bought the R6.  It is the seventh Fractal case that I've purchased!😀

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

• 3 months later...

I am deciding between fractal 7 and R6 and is worried abt fractal 7 cpu thermals. Did anyone test the thermals by lowering the default top 140mm fan position a couple inches lower so that airflow is not partially impeded by the edge of the air filter?

20200928_112127.jpg

18 hours ago, icecool99 said:

I am deciding between fractal 7 and R6 and is worried abt fractal 7 cpu thermals. Did anyone test the thermals by lowering the default top 140mm fan position a couple inches lower so that airflow is not partially impeded by the edge of the air filter?

20200928_112127.jpg

There is no way half of one 140 mm fan being partially obstructed is gonna cause an appreciable difference