Is there a way to only clone windows to an SSD with nothing else?

KyberKylo77

I want to just clone windows and keep my hard drive for junk and files that I dont really touch.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you only want clean windows, just do a reinstall on your new ssd.

oh ok and if I do that how do I completely get rid of windows on the HDD and keep only the files, games and some apps?

Uninstall every app that takes up space, until the data on the hard drive would fit on the SSD. Clone as normal, with whatever software you'd use, such as EaseUS. Then just reinstall everything on the hard drive.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

I want to just clone windows and keep my hard drive for junk and files that I dont really touch.

Remove the hard drive from the system and install a fresh install of Windows on the SSD and set to boot from the SSD in your BIOS/UEFI, then you can later reconnect the HDD and unallocate the partition for Windows and keep your data and programs (program files may not be moved over so make sure to back those up beforehand).

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

4 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Remove the hard drive from the system and install a fresh install of Windows on the SSD and set to boot from the SSD in your BIOS/UEFI, then you can later reconnect the HDD and unallocate the partition for Windows and keep your data and programs (program files may not be moved over so make sure to back those up beforehand).

how do i unallocate the partition for windows? sorry, i'm a big noob when it comes to this i've never had to install another drive in a system.

15 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

oh ok and if I do that how do I completely get rid of windows on the HDD and keep only the files, games and some apps?

Use a USB drive and create a new WIndows boot media (found on their site), unplug the old HDD, install your new SSD, using your USB installation media create the OS file on your new SSD. After that is done, just plug in your old HDD again, on boot-up go into bios and check your boot priority, make sure the SSD comes first and then save and exit, then you can access your old HDD within windows and all the files just like you would beforehand. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

Use a USB drive and create a new WIndows boot media (found on their site), unplug the old HDD, install your new SSD, using your USB installation media create the OS file on your new SSD. After that is done, just plug in your old HDD again, on boot-up go into bios and check your boot priority, make sure the SSD comes first and then save and exit, then you can access your old HDD within windows and all the files just like you would beforehand. 

Thanks, that was a good detailed explanation. But does that mean after doing what you mentioned, windows won't be taking up unnecessary space on the HDD anymore?

How large is the SSD?  And how much data is on the HDD?  If everything on the HDD fits onto the SSD then I would clone everything onto the SSD and then format the HDD and last step is move all the junk files from the SSD back to the HDD.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Thanks, that was a good detailed explanation. But does that mean after doing what you mentioned, windows won't be taking up unnecessary space on the HDD anymore?

Windows OS is still written to that HDD, if you removed the SSD and booted up with just the HDD plugged in you would booting into Windows. That said this is the easy way as you do not need to play around with the partitions, and the actual Windows 10 OS really only uses 10-15GB so at that point who cares, at least that's my opinion lol.

Especially if it is just being used as a:

39 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

hard drive for junk and files that I dont really touch.

When you download the Windows 10 installation media make sure you actually run the file, it will give you the option to create a USB media creation tool, I think you need a 16GB USB (could be just 8GB).

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

23 minutes ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Yes it will, but you can always delete Windows folders from HDD later (file explorer options > view > Show hidden files).

Take my C:\ as example

image.png.336ca56c5c50a018363ee4f803f5d2a6.png

You can literally just select everything with Ctrl + A and hit Shift + Delete, except the Users folder, that's where your Downloads, Documents, Desktop, Music, Pictures and Videos folders are usually located (unless you changed it by any chance), oh, and if you want to keep your games copy them out of Program Files and/or Program Files (x86). Regarding your game saves, they are usually located either in Documents or in Local or Roaming folder (Win key + R > type %appdata% and hit enter, for Local type %localappdata%), both these last two folder are located inside your user folder so you can delete from your HDD safely (kinda).

12 hours ago, nick name said:

How large is the SSD?  And how much data is on the HDD?  If everything on the HDD fits onto the SSD then I would clone everything onto the SSD and then format the HDD and last step is move all the junk files from the SSD back to the HDD.  

Initially I was going to do this but then i'd have to track down all the files that I want to move so that'd be a pain in the ass. 

15 hours ago, nick name said:

I tried this but then this keeps happening. Now I can't boot from either drives. 

20200609_135503.jpg

16 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Uninstall every app that takes up space, until the data on the hard drive would fit on the SSD. Clone as normal, with whatever software you'd use, such as EaseUS. Then just reinstall everything on the hard drive.

I did that but now I can't boot into either one of the drives so I deleted everything in the SSD so I can boot with the HDD but still no luck. I entered the BIOS and the HDD is detected but it doesn't show up in the boot order section. It's only showing the windows boot manager version which takes me to to he repair page. What did I do wrong?

Try re installing the operating system onto the SSD now.

3 minutes ago, DragDownJack said:

that's exactly what I'm doing rn lol. I'll see how it goes thanks!

1 hour ago, DragDownJack said:

ok so I unplugged the HDD and installed windows on the SSD but now when I boot into Windows it's like a fresh install without drivers and I can only go up to 64hz which Im guessing is due to the gpu drivers. Also my PC doesn't recognize my pcie wifi card. Why is this 10x more complicated than it should be?

22 hours ago, SecretX said:

Yes it will, but you can always delete Windows folders from HDD later (file explorer options > view > Show hidden files).

Take my C:\ as example

image.png.336ca56c5c50a018363ee4f803f5d2a6.png

You can literally just select everything with Ctrl + A and hit Shift + Delete, except the Users folder, that's where your Downloads, Documents, Desktop, Music, Pictures and Videos folders are usually located (unless you changed it by any chance), oh, and if you want to keep your games copy them out of Program Files and/or Program Files (x86). Regarding your game saves, they are usually located either in Documents or in Local or Roaming folder (Win key + R > type %appdata% and hit enter, for Local type %localappdata%), both these last two folder are located inside your user folder so you can delete from your HDD safely (kinda).

Hey, I installed windows again on my ssd and it fucking messed up everything. I can't access the Internet and my PC doesn't detect the pcie wifi adapter. Can't access my games either and steam needed a repair to start. What did I do wrong?

7 hours ago, Benji said:

You probably can't access the internet because Windows doesn't contain the driver for the network card by default. Try installing that, connect to the WiFi (which is basically a shame on every stationary system to be NOT connected via LAN) and let Steam repair. Also, the tip to basically delete everything off C:\ and just copying the programs from the folders is basically stupid. Most applications register DLLs and other files, besides sometimes adding things to the registry, so you are rather lucky if they work after doing such stuff. Also you won't be unable to uninstall most of them properly, so you will need to install everything anew anyway because Windows doesn't even know that they are installed if you just copy some programs instead of regularly installing them.

yea... about that, I tried to download the drivers but i forgot the exact model so until i figure that out i wont be able to download. Is there any way to find out the model without looking at the box? 

7 hours ago, Benji said:

Go to the Device Manager and see if it appears. If you have a device with a yellow triangle it might be the network card.

found it but it doesnt show the model. And when i try the automatic search update thingy it says windows could not find it or something.

7 hours ago, Benji said:

You did notice that I said someting else? ;)

Also, if you can let Windows Update search you actually do have an internet connection, otherwise it would complain.

Check out the hardware ID. Also, does it actually list your wireless adapter under Network Adapters?

Oh sorry didn't notice at first. And yea currently I'm running off a cheap usb wifi adapter which is why I'm able to connect. And no it doesn't list it under network adapter, its under Other Devices.

7 hours ago, Benji said:

You did notice that I said someting else? ;)

Also, if you can let Windows Update search you actually do have an internet connection, otherwise it would complain.

Check out the hardware ID. Also, does it actually list your wireless adapter under Network Adapters?

Hey but why is everything messed up after I boot off of my SSD? like why doesn't my PC recognize the drivers and stuff on my HDD that was previously installed? I had to manually install my GPU drivers and chipset drivers again. Btw sorry if i sound like a noob, I'm not familiar with these things.

7 hours ago, KyberKylo77 said:

Hey but why is everything messed up after I boot off of my SSD? like why doesn't my PC recognize the drivers and stuff on my HDD that was previously installed? I had to manually install my GPU drivers and chipset drivers again. Btw sorry if i sound like a noob, I'm not familiar with these things.

7 hours ago, Benji said:

Because re-installing Windows means that it doesn't have the drivers and applications anymore. Also, copying over some applications from the Programs folder(s) like it was suggested doesn't work because they have to be installed, not just copied over. That's why it doesn't detect the stuff on your hard drive and it couldn't care less about some drivers and files that are on any other disk as they are not system-relevant. You need to re-install everything when you re-install Windows.

Ahh I see.. Btw, thanks man i was able to find my adapter model! Also from this point do i delete everything off of my HDD since its useless? except for the important files of course.

Okay I want to understand the situation better. from what I've read, most of the necessary drivers haven't been automatically installed.

Try downloading the driver files for your motherboard from a different computer and transfer them through a USB drive.

If you don't know your motherboard details you could do that by running dxdiag.exe by opening the Run dialog box or typing it in Start. If that still doesn't display you your hardware information, transfer a CPUZ setup file onto your system, install, run and find out the details that way.

Then just search for and download the drivers from your motherboard maker's official site (on a different system), and transfer them onto your affected system and run them.

Generally the latest Windows 10 build installers install essential drivers and then update the rest properly during Windows Update, but I've seen them make setting things up weirder on older hardware.

Oh, didn't see those last messages, seems like your issue is resolved, hopefully.