Is it worth waiting?

Elliot23

I have in mind to fully change pc, as my old system is getting older by the minute, and I was wondering if it's worth to wait for the DDR5 release in the "near future" or if I should just buy the new pc now

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

DDR4 is just fine.  You could be waiting years, who knows....

By the rumors it should be maybe the end of next year, but I obviously know that the rumors are just that and not facts

What, for your use case, will DDR5 solve that DDR4 does not currently? 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I think in a matter of "How do I keep my PC as efficient as possible in the long run?" so I want to get the best I can even if I have to wait for a bit

With current RAM types and speed, there's little point needing to wait for the latest types, as there will be not much improvement over DDR4 as is. 

4 minutes ago, Elliot23 said:

I want to get the best I can even if I have to wait for a bit

I'm sure DDR6 will out perform DDR5, better wait.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

15 minutes ago, Elliot23 said:

I have in mind to fully change pc, as my old system is getting older by the minute, and I was wondering if it's worth to wait for the DDR5 release in the "near future" or if I should just buy the new pc now

For DDR5 no but for Zen3 yes. That and RTX 3000 are due in three months.

You would have to wait quite a long time for DDR5 to be released, then some extra time for new CPU's to take advantage of it and then some extra time for it to be mainstream. Now if you want to wait it'd better be for Zen 4, RDNA2 etc.

There's always something new on the Horizon waiting for things dosnt work, I say go ahead build something with NVME and todays Multicores and how they are optimised you can get some crazy performance from a mid range AMD and 16gb of Ram with a Mid range GPU youll be laughing, and jumping on something as soon as its released is sometimes a problem with compatibility and such.

37 minutes ago, Elliot23 said:

I think in a matter of "How do I keep my PC as efficient as possible in the long run?" so I want to get the best I can even if I have to wait for a bit

By the time the DDR5 is ready, there will be something else new coming. What are you going to use the new PC for?

2 hours ago, namvan said:

By the time the DDR5 is ready, there will be something else new coming. What are you going to use the new PC for?

Mainly gaming and programming

3 hours ago, Britjoe said:

There's always something new on the Horizon waiting for things dosnt work, I say go ahead build something with NVME and todays Multicores and how they are optimised you can get some crazy performance from a mid range AMD and 16gb of Ram with a Mid range GPU youll be laughing, and jumping on something as soon as its released is sometimes a problem with compatibility and such.

It seems fair, but since I rarely change PC or even swap out parts I wanted to see if by waiting even a year I could get an overall better PC

3 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

You would have to wait quite a long time for DDR5 to be released, then some extra time for new CPU's to take advantage of it and then some extra time for it to be mainstream. Now if you want to wait it'd better be for Zen 4, RDNA2 etc.

I heard the ddr5 are supposed to launch by the end of next year maybe, I could be wrong tho, I'll wait for the Zen 4 for sure tho

life is short , play more

1st new gen tech is always buggy0

25 minutes ago, Elliot23 said:

I heard the ddr5 are supposed to launch by the end of next year maybe, I

remember when ddr4 1st launch, 2133mhz...... ewwww

Very rarely is it worth waiting for something specific to come out.

Never mind the time that you're waiting for the tech to come out, the availability of the specific tech is always a mixed bag upon release (to say nothing of the price), compatibility and products take additional time, and there are usually bugs and other revisions that push back efficient operation of it further down the road.

All that waiting contributes to time lost with better hardware you could have purchased at the time. The delta from what you buy to the future tech you're waiting for is typically always smaller than going from your present rig to the new upgrade at the present time (budget-dependent).

If anything wait for the new AMD/NVidia announcements. Waiting for DDR5 is like missing the Greyhound bus because you wanted to ride the bus with more wheels (and you also don't know when it's coming).

If anyone can tell me then, what do I have to wait for? In case what can I already lay my eyes on?

3 hours ago, Elliot23 said:

I heard the ddr5 are supposed to launch by the end of next year maybe

If DDR5 follows the pattern of its predecessors, it will be slower than current DDR4 when it launches. Only after even more waiting there would be fast enough DDR5 to outperform widely available DDR4.

When DDR4 launched as a 2133-CL15 standard, with 2400-CL15 variants available, I was running DDR3 1866-CL9, 2133-CL9 and 2400-CL11 kits on CPUs with supposedly weak IMCs. It took years for DDR4 at higher frequencies and sane timings to become commonplace.