2070 super and 4K 120hz tv

Mixyyy

I’m looking to be able to hook up my new pc with a 2070 super to my 4K 120Hz tv when I want to game on a larger screen, i have no issues on my 1080p 60Hz monitor but I don’t know if my 2070 super can handle 4k

1 minute ago, BBOOII said:

I’m looking to be able to hook up my new pc with a 2070 super to my 4K 120Hz tv when I want to game on a larger screen, i have no issues on my 1080p 60Hz monitor but I don’t know if my 2070 super can handle 4k

it can but it can only do 120hz in games like csgo(or in other games with severely lowered settings)

Just now, ki8aras said:

it can but it can only do 120hz in games like csgo(or in other games with severely lowered settings)

Can it do at least 60hz then? I’m not trying to take full advantage of it I’m just wondering if I can get an acceptable framerate.

Can it do at least 60hz then? I’m not trying to take full advantage of it I’m just wondering if I can get an acceptable framerate.

what games are you playing?

if youre playing newer games like rdr2 are you comofratble with lower settings?

1 minute ago, ki8aras said:

what games are you playing?

if youre playing newer games like rdr2 are you comofratble with lower settings?

Yes I do play rdr2, it’s probably the most demanding game I have. The higher resolution will probably make up for the lower settings, but what kind of performance should I expect at medium settings?

Yes I do play rdr2, it’s probably the most demanding game I have. The higher resolution will probably make up for the lower settings, but what kind of performance should I expect at medium settings?

you should be able to get away with 60 fps at medium (please sacrifice some performance and put textures to high or ultra)

13 minutes ago, BBOOII said:

what tv model do you have, more than likely your 120Hz TV is not 120Hz , but only a 60Hz that uses sorcery to fake 120Hz

Just now, ki8aras said:

you should be able to get away with 60 fps at medium (please sacrifice some performance and put textures to high or ultra)

Ok thanks, Could I get 120hz at 4K in gta v with medium or high settings since it’s an older game?

2 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

ou should be able to get away with 60 fps at medium

I get 60FPS on medium at 4k with a 290x.  That 2070 should be able to do a lot better than that

5 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

what tv model do you have, more than likely your 120Hz TV is not 120Hz , but only a 60Hz that uses sorcery to fake 120Hz

It’s by the brand Vizio, idk the exact model

edit: it’s this model

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-40-class-led-v-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6333198.p?skuId=6333198&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjww_f2BRC-ARIsAP3zarGJpc06L-rX7B_f8S9y7kiHWOrrQy95ipYhj99-RJocS36k8lNidUkaArR2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Vizio

Supposedly some of their newer 2020 models support true native 120Hz.  You will have to look it up to see, because most are just "effective" refresh rates which will only show up in your monitor settings as 60Hz.

26 minutes ago, BBOOII said:

It's not technically capable. The card can do 4K, but you're not going to get more than 90fps. It's more likely the lack of VRR in the TV will prevent it from running at anything but 60hz.

Also with SmartTV's, you actually have to play video on the SmartTV's app to actually get HDR and 4K anyway.

2 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

Supposedly some of their newer 2020 models support true native 120Hz.  You will have to look it up to see, because most are just "effective" refresh rates which will only show up in your monitor settings as 60Hz.

Yeah I think I have a 2018 model so it might unfortunately only be 60Hz 

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

It's not technically capable. The card can do 4K, but you're not going to get more than 90fps. It's more likely the lack of VRR in the TV will prevent it from running at anything but 60hz.

To me, 90fps is still pretty good

4 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

But as he said I would need a newer model of the tv I have to get true 120hz

To me, 90fps is still pretty good

But as he said I would need a newer model of the tv I have to get true 120hz

The manual says it's 60hz only. D50x-G9,V405-G9, V505-G9, V655-G9 are the 4K model's.

4 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The manual says it's 60hz only. D50x-G9,V405-G9, V505-G9, V655-G9 are the 4K model's.

On the box it says 120hz but again idk if it uses special techniques to fake higher refresh rates.

Just now, BBOOII said:

On the box it says 120hz but again idk if it uses special techniques to fake higher refresh rates.

It might just be that frame-interpolation which makes it awful for games.

Check the manual to see what it actually runs at. Even though my dad's last two TV's had "120hz" frame rates, they didn't have a 120hz input, it was just frame insertion. 

7 minutes ago, Kisai said:

It might just be that frame-interpolation which makes it awful for games.

Check the manual to see what it actually runs at. Even though my dad's last two TV's had "120hz" frame rates, they didn't have a 120hz input, it was just frame insertion. 

If my tv has fake 120hz then is there a way to just turn it off and make it a regular 60hz tv?

17 minutes ago, BBOOII said:

true 120hz

after looking at the new vizio's, I'm thinking their new tvs are not true 120Hz either, but just more tv voodoo

Just now, BBOOII said:

turn it off and make it a regular 60hz tv?

go into the picture settings under more settings and turn off clear action and film mode.  I honestly just turn all that shit off, led array, blacks, all off.  It looks better to me

6 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

after looking at the new vizio's, I'm thinking their new tvs are not true 120Hz either, but just more tv voodoo

Ok I’m wondering if the “120 hz” Vs if it was just 60hz then what difference will I see?

edit: there’s a “game low latency” option in my tv and it disables the ability to turn on film mode

25 minutes ago, BBOOII said:

Ok I’m wondering if the “120 hz” Vs if it was just 60hz then what difference will I see?

edit: there’s a “game low latency” option in my tv and it disables the ability to turn on film mode

Latency is not the same as the refresh rate of your monitor, basically it represents how long it takes to get your input on the screen (excluding other bottlenecks of course). It can be helpful in competitive multiplayer gaming, but otherwise I doubt you'll ever notice the difference.

What happens if you go for 1440p?  In my experience that is still very wonderful on a big TV monitor, and the 2070 super should be able to run high settings 60FPS comfortably for most if not all games.

Also, you can try to overclock the TV monitor to get higher refresh rate.

Also, picture quality of your TV makes a huuuugeee difference. Games on my 1050Ti HPTC coupled to my Sony Bravia look way better than on my 1070 dedicated gaming PC with a Samsung 4k monitor, despite having to drop back the graphics settings quite significantly. So I'd say try things out; 1080p might still look mighty fine.

I have a TV that is 4k 120hz capable but there are no video cards that support it. They would need HDMI 2.1.

These TVs can do 1440p 120hz now and that is doable with a 2070S. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

6 hours ago, Turbof1 said:

Latency is not the same as the refresh rate of your monitor, basically it represents how long it takes to get your input on the screen (excluding other bottlenecks of course). It can be helpful in competitive multiplayer gaming, but otherwise I doubt you'll ever notice the difference.

Latency matters with legacy consoles connected via analog inputs, modern consoles are a bit less affected since there's no analog scaler involved (1080p to 2160p is just a simple 1:2 scale)

Yeah, if you want a true 120fps input on a TV, you probably won't find it. Using https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/recommendation suggest's only Samsung TV's even have features like low-latency mode and VRR and 120fps.