How do I keep some usb ports on after shutdown?

Go to solution Solved by doxiMAN_MAN,

It's solved now, apparently when I set the usb setting to "partial initial" and connect my dock, the RGB doesn't turn on, so i thought it was off, but it wasn't

thanks for everyone who tried to help < 3

I have a wireless mouse and in order to charge it overnight I have to either keep my pc on which makes a lot of noise and lights, or I can turn it off with fast boot on where of my usb ports stay on. The problem with the second option is that my keyboard has gone through some things (Multiple power outages, cola/gfuel spilled on it) and I cant turn its lights off after shutdown, so I have to manually disconnect it and then reconnect it when I boot my pc again. Is there a way to make it to where at least 1 usb port is on, but the others are off? (Or the opposite- where at least 2 (yes my keyboard uses 2 usb cables) usb ports are off and the rest are on?) Ive tried using the “Partial Initial” usb setting in the bios but that setting just turns all the usb ports off (I’ve tried every single port).

Motherboard- Aorus Gaming 7 X399

Edit: idk what I did but now all the ports are off with any setting. Fast boot off, fast boot on with “usb settings full initial”, off on shutdown with any setting.

Thanks, doxi.

If it's a wireless mouse why can't you connect the charging cable/pad to a USB power brick instead of your PC USB ports?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

If it's a wireless mouse why can't you connect the charging cable/pad to a USB power brick instead of your PC USB ports?

Because it's the Viper Ultimate, and its dock has RGB which I can't configure if I connect it to a usb power brick (the RGB will always be on at 100% brightness which is really bright at night). I also use the usb port on the dock to connect the mouse dongle to, so I get the best latency.

2 minutes ago, doxiMAN_MAN said:

Because it's the Viper Ultimate, and its dock has RGB which I can't configure if I connect it to a usb power brick (the RGB will always be on at 100% brightness which is really bright at night). I also use the usb port on the dock to connect the mouse dongle to, so I get the best latency.

put a shoebox over it. done...

anyway, most motherboard allow charging only when sleeping (not off), maybe you can try it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

put a shoebox over it. done...

anyway, most motherboard allow charging only when sleeping (not off), maybe you can try it.

Putting a shoebox over the dock every night is basically the same as just disconnecting my keyboard every night.

And the fans stay on during sleep mode and they still make a lot of noise (and the light also stays on).

55 minutes ago, doxiMAN_MAN said:

Can you not save the settings to the mouse so that it doesn't need the PC software to remember your configuration?

I thought all modern gaming mice had this feature.

Also connecting the mouse dongle to the dock will not help at all with latency.

Radio singals travel at 300,000km/s so having it a few feet further away will make literally 0 difference to latency.

The only possible thing it could improve is reception, but unless your PC is several meters away and on the other side of walls it will also not make any difference.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Fans? no they shouldn't. All stuff should be off when sleep, only the memory slot and usb turn on.

Or this is normal for TR motherboard, i don't know.

Yeah some mice / keyboards don't turn off when system off, maybe try other usb port.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Also connecting the mouse dongle to the dock will not help at all with latency.

Radio singals travel at 300,000km/s so having it a few feet further away will make literally 0 difference to latency.

The only possible thing it could improve is reception, but unless your PC is several meters away and on the other side of walls it will also not make any difference.

This is false. Whenever I connect my dock to a usb 3.1 port and then connect the dongle to the dock, my mouse hz is at around 980~1000 (i hit 1000hz multiple times and it was steady), and when I connect the dongle itself to the 3.1 port, the hz is around 960~980 (i didnt hit 1000hz once and it was steady at around 980).

according to https://zowie.benq.com/ja/support/mouse-rate-checker.html

22 minutes ago, doxiMAN_MAN said:

This is false. Whenever I connect my dock to a usb 3.1 port and then connect the dongle to the dock, my mouse hz is at around 980~1000 (i hit 1000hz multiple times and it was steady), and when I connect the dongle itself to the 3.1 port, the hz is around 960~980 (i didnt hit 1000hz once and it was steady at around 980).

according to https://zowie.benq.com/ja/support/mouse-rate-checker.html

First of all, your human response time is above 200ms so a few ms is not a percievable difference.

Second, the mouse hz is the polling rate, not the latency. Latency is how long it takes from you pressing the button to it being read by your computer. You could have a 1000Hz polling rate but if the circuitry is slow it could be delayed and you would never know.

Third, if you care about these meaningless numbers so much you should buy a wired mouse, because THAT is how you lower latency, by removing all wireless transmission, encoding, decoding, etc.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

First of all, your human response time is above 200ms so a few ms is not a percievable difference.

It does still make a difference when the ones you play against in fps games do have that small advantage, it has nothing to do with reaction time. (also my reaction time is 170-180ms according to humanbenchmark, kinda insulting : ( )

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Third, if you care about these meaningless numbers so much you should buy a wired mouse, because THAT is how you lower latency, by removing all wireless transmission, encoding, decoding, etc.

Well that's the thing... with my usb dock the polling rate is almost identical to my wired mouse (My wired mouse is a zowie ec2-a and it gives me steady 990-1000hz, and my wireless one also gives me 1000 but its not as steady and it jumps around 990). and it's much better for me to play with a wireless mouse because whenever I use a wired mouse, it gets dragged across the desk which creates more friction therefore making it more annoying to move it in some positions. But it is subjective after all.

(didnt respond to your second point because it was just a: "you cant really know", so no argument can be made there.)

1 hour ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

I would assume that when I have fast boot on with "usb support: partial initial" in my bios, some of them should be on. But they aren't, and that's the main thing that I'm trying to solve.

7 minutes ago, doxiMAN_MAN said:

It does still make a difference when the ones you play against in fps games do have that small advantage, it has nothing to do with reaction time. (also my reaction time is 170-180ms according to humanbenchmark, kinda insulting : ( )

Well that's the thing... with my usb dock the polling rate is almost identical to my wired mouse (My wired mouse is a zowie ec2-a and it gives me steady 990-1000hz, and my wireless one also gives me 1000 but its not as steady and it jumps around 990). and it's much better for me to play with a wireless mouse because whenever I use a wired mouse, it gets dragged across the desk which creates more friction therefore making it more annoying to move it in some positions. But it is subjective after all.

(didnt respond to your second point because it was just a: "you cant really know", so no argument can be made there.)

You can know though, a wired mouse will always have lower input lag than a wireless one, unless you use one of those special logitech gaming mice that are specifically tested to have latency as low as a wired mouse.

Linus did a video on this topic.

Far more important than polling rate.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can know though, a wired mouse will always have lower input lag than a wireless one, unless you use one of those special logitech gaming mice that are specifically tested to have latency as low as a wired mouse.

Linus did a video on this topic.

Far more important than polling rate.

Idk if you've heard of the viper ultimate but its basically known to be a better option than the gpro wireless. According to this site: https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/compare/logitech-pro-wireless-vs-razer-viper-ultimate/1614/1639

image.png.08525a4e57eb66ec90815d927a808e95.png

The viper beats the gpro wireless (I think that's the mouse you were referring to...?) in both cabled and wireless latency- and the difference between wireless and wired is 2ms (while it is worse than the 1ms difference on the gpro wireless, it's irrelevant as the wireless option is still faster - and they have also completely removed that 2ms difference in the basilisk ultimate). Not to mention that some people may not have connected the mouse to the dock but instead to the pc, which would give them latency that's a bit higher (by probably less than 1ms, but point still stands).

It's solved now, apparently when I set the usb setting to "partial initial" and connect my dock, the RGB doesn't turn on, so i thought it was off, but it wasn't

thanks for everyone who tried to help < 3