Triggered PSU protection, should i switch to a new PSU?

ILoveFox
Go to solution Solved by aranurea,
14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Sounds like you did research in the wrong places.

While it could be the PSU, it's not a "protection".  When a PSU protection kicks in, the PSU shuts off.  If your screen went black but the PSU stayed on, that's not a protection kicking in.

Not entirely true. PSUs can be designed to "crowbar". That means shorting the output straight to common in order to prevent any current from reaching the load. During this crowbar state, the PSU is still functioning, just that the load (the rest of your components) are not getting any power. That crowbar cannot be reset without a power cycle. Although that's usually reserved for linear supplies...

To OP: Connect your GPU to the PSU using 2 PCIE power cables, not a single one with two connectors on it. Then try again.

I recently brought the new rx 5700 xt. The PC shut down while gaming or doing heavy GPU benchmark. The screen went black and need to turn PSU on and off in order to run windows again. I did some research, the problem caused by PSU protection. So the question now is, am i right?

Edited by ILoveFox

I have this PSU rn

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LYRXRDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did a GPU driver clean reinstall (driver version 20.5.1)

I checked the 12v, its above 12, but sometimes it dropped to 11.95 something. I think the voltage is fine. (maybe i am wrong, i can post the sensor report here if you need)

This is my gpu GIGABYTE AORUS Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G Graphics Card, PCIe 4.0, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, 2010 MHz Boost

Right now i set it to 1150mv core voltage and 1900 Mhz core clock ( i set it to 1200mv, and it triggered the PSU protection once)

1 hour ago, ILoveFox said:

The screen went black and need to turn PSU on and off in order to run windows again. I did some research, the problem caused by PSU protection. So the question now is, am i right?

While it could be the PSU, it's not a "protection".  When a PSU protection kicks in, the PSU shuts off.  If your screen went black but the PSU stayed on, that's not a protection kicking in.

8 hours ago, ILoveFox said:

I recently brought the new rx 5700 xt. The PC shut down while gaming or doing heavy GPU benchmark. The screen went black and need to turn PSU on and off in order to run windows again. I did some research, the problem caused by PSU protection. So the question now is, am i right?

do you get any msg when you turn ON the PC?

It doesn't mean necessarly it's PSU fault.

I never heard of N1 from EVGA...

try to borrow other PSU and eliminate it from equation.

If PC reboots could be AMD driver issue or you have heat problems...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

You've managed to grab one of the worst 'branded' PSUs on the market, replace it ASAP.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Not entirely true. PSUs can be designed to "crowbar". That means shorting the output straight to common in order to prevent any current from reaching the load. During this crowbar state, the PSU is still functioning, just that the load (the rest of your components) are not getting any power. That crowbar cannot be reset without a power cycle. Although that's usually reserved for linear supplies...

To OP: Connect your GPU to the PSU using 2 PCIE power cables, not a single one with two connectors on it. Then try again.

39 minutes ago, aranurea said:

But OP's psu has only one cable(with two 6+2 pin ends).

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu