ssd dying

LITHUM1

so i bought a wd green 240 gb ssd 22/11/2019  and its going great 
except the fact its dying i think 

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.dce6f5c82a951cf17b2c6b4b9b6182b8.png

i just want to point out that 2 weeks ago it was at 55% 

is it becuase i reinstalled windows like 4 times since i bought it because of problems with windows and some games too  

Crystaldiskinfo shows same numbers of life/health?

How about Total host reads? Total host writes?

I edit my posts more often than not

You can safely ignore the "life remaining" chart.

I don't recommend using manufacturer provided tools to check the health status of SSDs.

Instead use a tool like Crystal Disk Info.

Have you tried to click on the little question mark in the top right corner?

They surely explain how the percentage is calculated.

Some other brands have already been found where  the "remaining life" number was buggy and irrelevant.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Crystaldiskinfo shows same numbers of life/health?

How about Total host reads? Total host writes?

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Some other brands have already been found where  the "remaining life" number was buggy and irrelevant.

i hope thats the case 
because i already have a dead wd green 240 gb and it didnt last long so thats why im worried 
also i wanted to return the ssd cuz its dead and i have warranty but i bought from moscow when i went on trip to renew my passport 

and i live about 3k km away from it and the local shop said we cant help you.....

Bit strange. 

If it's a primary drive I'd try RMA, if not maybe wait a while to see if it is actually starting to fail.

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It has a three year warranty, RMA it

well here where i live the shop i bought from called "dns" its famous in russia but its working fine now so they wont accept it unless there is something worng with it 

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Bit strange. 

If it's a primary drive I'd try RMA, if not maybe wait a while.

its my primary drive only for windows and couple programs and 1 game "csgo" 

3 minutes ago, LITHUM1 said:

its my primary drive only for windows and couple programs and 1 game "csgo" 

A pickle.

Try to swap the drive and if you want to RMA it, just use it for huge reads/writes to see if it changes. As if it would reach 0 the shop must swap it for a new drive. 

Thats just my opinion though.

8 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

You can safely ignore the "life remaining" chart.

I don't recommend using manufacturer provided tools to check the health status of SSDs.

Instead use a tool like Crystal Disk Info.

Have you tried to click on the little question mark in the top right corner?

They surely explain how the percentage is calculated.

Screenshot_5.png.97aa5da837dead023bb5aa718f3c8926.png

i didnt mention but i use it to record shadow play "aka geforce experience"

Just had a look and they don't even quote any endurance spec on their pages... probably becasuse it's so low nobody would buy one. 

An article mentioned 80TBW for the 240GB model, which is peanuts and probably the lowest I've seen on any SSD.

I.e. it's a garbage SSD and your bar seems like it's probably correct.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

A pickle.

Try to swap the drive and if you want to RMA it, just use it for huge reads/writes to see if it changes. As if it would reach 0 the shop must swap it for a new drive. 

Thats just my opinion though.

yea i will do that for sure just waiting on it 
but my other dead wd green i cant boot my system with it plugged in i just says bad drive balala i cant even remember

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Just had a look and they don't even quote any endurance spec on their pages... probably becasuse it's so low nobody would buy one. 

An article mentioned 80TBW for the 240GB model, which is peanuts and probably the lowest I've seen on any SSD.

no wonder it cheap and it was on sale lesson learned 

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

but what do you rec for ssd tbh i cant live without one 

17 minutes ago, LITHUM1 said:

i just want to point out that 2 weeks ago it was at 55% 

is it becuase i reinstalled windows like 4 times since i bought it because of problems with windows and some games too  

SSDs will have a rated endurance, and it can count how much it has been used against that rating to work out its estimated life left.

Doing a search on that model, assuming they haven't changed it since it came out, it is rated for 80TB write endurance, or about 333 write cycles. For a 3 year warranty, that's 0.3 dwpd, or an average of writing 73GB a day.

Assuming the scaling is perfect, a drop of 4% represents writing 3.2TB to it. Have you been doing a LOT of writing to it recently? 

11 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It has a three year warranty, RMA it

It'll take checking the small print, but I doubt warranty covers wear and tear through usage. Also, it hasn't been exhausted yet anyway. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

SSDs will have a rated endurance, and it can count how much it has been used against that rating to work out its estimated life left.

Doing a search on that model, assuming they haven't changed it since it came out, it is rated for 80TB write endurance, or about 333 write cycles. For a 3 year warranty, that's 0.3 dwpd, or an average of writing 73GB a day.

Assuming the scaling is perfect, a drop of 4% represents writing 3.2TB to it. Have you been doing a LOT of writing to it recently? 

It'll take checking the small print, but I doubt warranty covers wear and tear through usage. Also, it hasn't been exhausted yet anyway. 

like i said i use for recordings but all of them 2;30 min long
but i think when it dies im gonna get a good one this time no need to cheap out 

3 minutes ago, LITHUM1 said:

Screenshot_5.png.97aa5da837dead023bb5aa718f3c8926.png

i didnt mention but i use it to record shadow play "aka geforce experience"

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

iirc it's a rebranded SanDisk Plus or something.

Not the greatest drive to begin with.

Keep in mind that Windows 10 boot drives tend to write a lot more data in a short period of time than in almost any other use case.

I have two 1TB 850 Evos, over 3 or 4 years old now and one relatively new MP300.

The MP300 has written double of what the Evos have, simply because it's the boot drive.

1 minute ago, LITHUM1 said:

like i said i use for recordings but all of them 2;30 min long

How long an individual one is doesn't matter so much, as how much the total is. 

1 minute ago, LITHUM1 said:

but i think when it dies im gonna get a good one this time no need to cheap out 

Yeah, the WD Greens are always amongst the cheapest ones where I am. I actually got some myself. Where I have them, I know they have low usage, so I'm not worried about their life.

Do note that life is a combination of factors. The quality of the flash, as well as the capacity of the drive. So you have a value model with a small capacity, so the total write endurance isn't so great.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible