Z390 Mobo not loading m. 2 with windows installed saying automatic repair when two other ssds are installed too please help

aaronnickols27

Just got a gigabyte z390motherboard I have windows installed on m.2 , however I have two other ssds and apparently my 1 tb ssd has a windows boot manger on it ,could that be the issue and I should just wipe the whole ssd

you could instead just remove the boot manager without removing the data from the drive. it still has the issue, even if you change the boot priorities?

11 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

you could instead just remove the boot manager without removing the data from the drive. it still has the issue, even if you change the boot priorities?

When I disable the 850 Evo where the bootmanger is it lets the m.2 boot in flawlessly with the other 850 Evo I have that's 500gb no problmes .just apparently problmes when I boot in with the one 850 that has some old windows files on it apparently,funny thing is the problem doesn't occur on my z370 gigabyte board so it's really odd

1 minute ago, aaronnickols27 said:

When I disable the 850 Evo where the bootmanger is it lets the m.2 boot in flawlessly with the other 850 Evo I have that's 500gb no problmes .just apparently problmes when I boot in with the one 850 that has some old windows files on it apparently,funny thing is the problem doesn't occur on my z370 gigabyte board so it's really odd

Boot without the drive causing the problem, go into the bios and tell it to boot the drive directly. Boot into windows, boot into safe boot, reboot back into windows, and then connect the second drive. In theory that should make the BIOS catch the right boot manager. 

The other option here is to explicitly edit the boot manager so that it boots the right drive.

However I suspect your problem might actually be that the drive has the same id uefi id string on it if you cloned it at some point, in which case you might just need to reformat it.

6 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Boot without the drive causing the problem, go into the bios and tell it to boot the drive directly. Boot into windows, boot into safe boot, reboot back into windows, and then connect the second drive. In theory that should make the BIOS catch the right boot manager. 

The other option here is to explicitly edit the boot manager so that it boots the right drive.

However I suspect your problem might actually be that the drive has the same id uefi id string on it if you cloned it at some point, in which case you might just need to reformat it.

I think I might have to choose your third option ,I did clone m.2  960 pro fr 850evo and that must be why it's occuring on new motherboard .but it's weird it doesn't do it on z370 where I cloned it from long ago .

9 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I should just reformat the 850 Evo and problem solved yes? I mean hopefully, unfortunately I'll have to reinstall z370 to do it on as that's the only board that recognizes all 3 ssds with no error.

9 minutes ago, aaronnickols27 said:

I should just reformat the 850 Evo and problem solved yes? I mean hopefully, unfortunately I'll have to reinstall z370 to do it on as that's the only board that recognizes all 3 ssds with no error.

Yeah, just plug in the drive that you want to format alone and boot the windows repair use the command line to format it. or you can hotplug it when after you boot windows normally and just format it that way. Just like I said, if it has the same ID number for some reason, that might make it misidentify the drive.

26 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Yeah, just plug in the drive that you want to format alone and boot the windows repair use the command line to format it. or you can hotplug it when after you boot windows normally and just format it that way. Just like I said, if it has the same ID number for some reason, that might make it misidentify the drive.

Im confused, can't I just boot with m.2 into windows on z370 and format the 850 that's causing the issue and then try to boot all over again on z390  board

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

All three drives are working in Harmony,had to reformat the drive causing me issues ,now downloading the lost data .thanks for you response and help