Did this SATA cable fry my GPU? Can I do anything to salvage it?

kittylexa

So I bought this $20 SATA cable to power my newly acquired SSD. I didn't know that the cable was faulty. I plugged it into my PSU and my PC just didn't work. I went through numerous troubleshooting steps and finally came to the conclusion that it was the cable, but it was too late. Once I tried firing up my computer it did not display anything on my 1070Ti. I was told by a friend that the SATA cable shares the 12V rail with my GPU, therefore it practically fried it. 

I tried numerous attempts at getting it to work, but to no avail. I am stuck with integrated graphics.

Is there anything I can do to salvage this GPU, or do I need to buy a new one completely?

20 minutes ago, kittylexa said:

I bought this $20 SATA cable to power my newly acquired SSD. I didn't know that the cable was faulty. I plugged it into my PSU

You bought a cable, at random, for your modular PSU?

For future reference, power supply cables do not adhere to any universal standard. Through sheer luck, it is possible to get a cable that is compatible, but in the majority of cases, the plug is wired for a different device.

TLDR the cable most likely wasn't faulty, just designed for the wrong power supply. Does your graphics card work in perhaps a friend's PC? You may have toasted the PSU partially, not the GPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

27 minutes ago, kittylexa said:

So I bought this $20 SATA cable to power my newly acquired SSD. I didn't know that the cable was faulty. I plugged it into my PSU and my PC just didn't work. I went through numerous troubleshooting steps and finally came to the conclusion that it was the cable, but it was too late. Once I tried firing up my computer it did not display anything on my 1070Ti. I was told by a friend that the SATA cable shares the 12V rail with my GPU, therefore it practically fried it. 

I tried numerous attempts at getting it to work, but to no avail. I am stuck with integrated graphics.

Is there anything I can do to salvage this GPU, or do I need to buy a new one completely?

New PSU first.  Then worry about the GPU.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.