Jump to content

3600X hitting 90c with stock cooler! Does it need liquid cooling?

Do I need liquid cooler for my 3600X?

 

Its 50-70 on idle and hits 90c while playing PUBG.

 

I closed the game straight ahead and I m not going to play unless I fix this.

 

Refitted the cooler 3 times tightened diagonally with care.

 

Any suggestions?

 

Im going for M22 Kraken NZXT.

 

No budget for better liquid cooler.

 

And is there any possibility I harmed the CPU for playing 2 minutes at 90c?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

No harm.  To test if this isn't just an airflow issue, take the side panel off your case - are the idle temps better? (Leave side panel off entire time) - what case do you have?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, VENTUS22 said:

Do I need liquid cooler for my 3600X?

 

Its 50-70 on idle and hits 90c while playing PUBG.

 

I closed the game straight ahead and I m not going to play unless I fix this.

 

Refitted the cooler 3 times tightened diagonally with care.

 

Any suggestions?

 

Im going for M22 Kraken NZXT.

 

No budget for better liquid cooler.

 

And is there any possibility I harmed the CPU for playing 2 minutes at 90c?

Max temperature on that CPU is 95 so I'm sure you didn't harm it.  You could try adjusting the fan curve on your CPU cooler, the stock cooler should be plenty for the 3600X.  What cooler are you using?  Have you made sure to use the right amount of thermal paste?

 

50-70 idle seems excessive.  You could also consider going for a cheaper tower cooler like the NH-U12A or a 212 Evo which should do a lot better than the stock cooler.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

 

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

 

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

 

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

No harm.  To test if this isn't just an airflow issue, take the side panel off your case - are the idle temps better? (Leave side panel off entire time) - what case do you have?

 

3 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

Max temperature on that CPU is 95 so I'm sure you didn't harm it.  You could try adjusting the fan curve on your CPU cooler, the stock cooler should be plenty for the 3600X.  What cooler are you using?  Have you made sure to use the right amount of thermal paste?

 

50-70 idle seems excessive.  You could also consider going for a cheaper tower cooler like the NH-U12A or a 212 Evo which should do a lot better than the stock cooler.

Without the panels is 70-78.. but Still 50-70 on idle.

 

Fan set to FULL SPEED in gigabyte Bios.

 

I have NZXT H500i case. Half thermal paste not attached correctly first time I fitted.

 

Refitted 3 times carefully still same temps.

 

I understand because its an X it needs a liquid cooler right?

 

How do I downclock it ? I will buy a liquid cooler and want to feel safe before it arrives.

 

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you using Ryzen Master or HWiNFO for temperature readings?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need a liquid cooler, better airflow and maybe more thermal paste should be enough, at worst a decent ~$40 air cooler will be enough, but you still should try to improve the airflow anyway.

 

CPUs now days shouldn't kill themselves unless they have some issue that doesn't let them slow down, try to fix the problem but there's no reason to worry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Are you using Ryzen Master or HWiNFO for temperature readings?

Ryzen Master... MSI Afterburner states the same temps as well...!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

You don't need a liquid cooler, better airflow and maybe more thermal paste should be enough, at worst a decent ~$40 air cooler will be enough, but you still should try to improve the airflow anyway.

 

CPUs now days shouldn't kill themselves unless they have some issue that doesn't let them slow down, try to fix the problem but there's no reason to worry.

No. I had R5 2600 in the same case before upgrading with correct airflow setup.

 

And temps were 60c max while playing games.

 

I even had 8600K back in the time with temps 50c-60c max while gaming...

 

I strongly believe its the CPU...!!!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the voltage it is running at and how much power it's using while gaming? What are the clocks? Take some screenshots of HWiNFO CPU sensors information and/or Ryzen master while gaming so we can get more information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VENTUS22 said:

 

Im going for M22 Kraken NZXT

120mm AIO perform worse then cheaper prices dual 120mm towers. 

 

1 hour ago, VENTUS22 said:

understand because its an X it needs a liquid cooler right?

Not true, get an Gelid Phantom or eSports Duo 34. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

What is the voltage it is running at and how much power it's using while gaming? What are the clocks? Take some screenshots of HWiNFO CPU sensors information and/or Ryzen master while gaming to make easier for us.

Well now its on IDLE... Ryzen Master states 49c and MSI afterburner states 60c...

 

That's weird.... Hang on I will upload gaming screenshot soon.

image.thumb.png.288e827cb48201b77dbf3ea073f66baa.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, gloop said:

120mm AIO perform worse then cheaper prices dual 120mm towers. 

 

Not true, get an Gelid Phantom or eSports Duo 34. 

Had bad experience with slightly cheaper normal fan coolers... still reached 70-80c

 

With H115i Corsair I had 50c max while gaming...

 

My country is very warm 42c during the day!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also what BIOS revision, if this is an older BIOS there may be to much voltage being applied.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Also what BIOS revision, if this is an older BIOS there may be to much voltage being applied.

Latest F50

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

What is the voltage it is running at and how much power it's using while gaming? What are the clocks? Take some screenshots of HWiNFO CPU sensors information and/or Ryzen master while gaming so we can get more information.

There you go... after 3 minutes of gaming 

image.thumb.png.d79e5b14695c772df3c0d1cbd92905ea.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, VENTUS22 said:

There you go... after 3 minutes of gaming 

image.thumb.png.d79e5b14695c772df3c0d1cbd92905ea.png

You need to actually take the screenshot while the game is onscreen.  As soon as you tab out the CPU is going to clock down and display lower power/voltage/current numbers.

 

That said, how hot is it in the room that you have the computer in?  The 3600X has a higher heat output than the 2600 which explains why you're seeing higher temperatures, but the ambient temperature might be contributing to your problem.

 

I still think this may have to do with the way you applied thermal paste or mounted your cooler as you shouldn't be getting anywhere near that temperature, even with the stock cooler.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

 

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

 

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

 

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

You need to actually take the screenshot while the game is onscreen.  As soon as you tab out the CPU is going to clock down and display lower power/voltage/current numbers.

 

That said, how hot is it in the room that you have the computer in?  The 3600X has a higher heat output than the 2600 which explains why you're seeing higher temperatures, but the ambient temperature might be contributing to your problem.

 

I still think this may have to do with the way you applied thermal paste or mounted your cooler as you shouldn't be getting anywhere near that temperature, even with the stock cooler.

I did not apply any thermal paste... It was preapplied by AMD.

 

Ambient temp is quite cool now coz its 2.50am here...

 

Its either the CPU or Gigabyte's backplate is bad does not let the heatsink sit properly! :S 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5c by taking side panel off means you aren't feeding enough air into the case, or out of the case fast enough.

 

Either way, so you have applied the cooler 3 times with the stock paste only, nothing wrong with this, as it comes on heavy either way.  If you are idling 50-70 and 70-78 under load with side panel off tells me its a CPU cooler mount issue.  Either not enough pressure, cockeyed pressure, something.  Or on perfectly and....

 

BUT that is because I have no experience with a PC in ambient temps such as yours - which I think is the overall issue if the mount on the CPU is fine - and the only way to mitigate that is get a larger heat sink of any variety.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, VENTUS22 said:

I did not apply any thermal paste... It was preapplied by AMD.

 

Ambient temp is quite cool now coz its 2.50am here...

 

Its either the CPU or Gigabyte's backplate is bad does not let the heatsink sit properly! :S 

I'd try re-applying thermal paste since you've used the stock thermal paste for several mounts now.  @Tristerin is kind of right about there being enough, but at the same time it's likely not doing it's job as effectively anymore.

 

The only other thing you could try is lapping the CPU to make the heat spreader more evened out, but I will never recommend it as it's a risky process and voids your warranty.

 

At this point I'd consider picking up a NH-U12A or 212 Evo as an inexpensive cooler upgrade if you're really concerned about the temperature.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

 

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

 

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

 

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

5c by taking side panel off means you aren't feeding enough air into the case, or out of the case fast enough.

 

Either way, so you have applied the cooler 3 times with the stock paste only, nothing wrong with this, as it comes on heavy either way.  If you are idling 50-70 and 70-78 under load with side panel off tells me its a CPU cooler mount issue.  Either not enough pressure, cockeyed pressure, something.  Or on perfectly and....

 

BUT that is because I have no experience with a PC in ambient temps such as yours - which I think is the overall issue if the mount on the CPU is fine - and the only way to mitigate that is get a larger heat sink of any variety.

 

21 minutes ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

I'd try re-applying thermal paste since you've used the stock thermal paste for several mounts now.  @Tristerin is kind of right about there being enough, but at the same time it's likely not doing it's job as effectively anymore.

 

The only other thing you could try is lapping the CPU to make the heat spreader more evened out, but I will never recommend it as it's a risky process and voids your warranty.

 

At this point I'd consider picking up a NH-U12A or 212 Evo as an inexpensive cooler upgrade if you're really concerned about the temperature.

 

Well here it goes... The thermal paste attaches only 2 sides of cpu something like this -->   |__ 

 

In the center  and other 2 sides the thermal paste was not attached at all after 3 attempts of refitting...

 

I am 100% it is the gigabyte's back plate... or AMD's stock cooler factory mistake!!!

 

I will RMA everything... I have headaches because of this situation today :S 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, VENTUS22 said:

Had bad experience with slightly cheaper normal fan coolers... still reached 70-80c

 

With H115i Corsair I had 50c max while gaming...

 

My country is very warm 42c during the day!!!

 

3 hours ago, VENTUS22 said:

 

 

Well here it goes... The thermal paste attaches only 2 sides of cpu something like this -->   |__ 

 

In the center  and other 2 sides the thermal paste was not attached at all after 3 attempts of refitting...

 

I am 100% it is the gigabyte's back plate... or AMD's stock cooler factory mistake!!!

 

I will RMA everything... I have headaches because of this situation today :S 

 

If you are getting up to 42*C during the day, THEN your temperatures makes more sense.

The ambient / room temperature will have an effect on overall system temperatures.

 

If for someone over here in the Northern side of the hemisphere, with a room / ambient temperature of say 20*C, and CPU temperature is say... 70*C.

If YOUR ambient / room temperature is 42*C, with the SAME system, you would see 92*C.

 

For the stock AMD CPU cooler...

Delta Temperature over ambient of 20*C ~ 30*C  when idle would be normal.

Delta Temperature over ambient of 40*C ~ 50*C when the system is under a gaming load is fair as well.

 

Consider getting an aftermarket CPU cooler.

BUT DON'T get something like a NZXT M22, that AIO cooler is too small.

Either get a decent size metal tower CPU cooler, or consider a 240mm / 280mm AIO.

 

Where are you located?

42*C during the day sounds like you live in a country near the equator (e.g. Korea / Japan / Brazil / Egypt, etc).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

  • i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

  • AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

  • Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

  • FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

 

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, -rascal- said:

 

 

If you are getting up to 42*C during the day, THEN your temperatures makes more sense.

The ambient / room temperature will have an effect on overall system temperatures.

 

If for someone over here in the Northern side of the hemisphere, with a room / ambient temperature of say 20*C, and CPU temperature is say... 70*C.

If YOUR ambient / room temperature is 42*C, with the SAME system, you would see 92*C.

 

For the stock AMD CPU cooler...

Delta Temperature over ambient of 20*C ~ 30*C  when idle would be normal.

Delta Temperature over ambient of 40*C ~ 50*C when the system is under a gaming load is fair as well.

 

Consider getting an aftermarket CPU cooler.

BUT DON'T get something like a NZXT M22, that AIO cooler is too small.

Either get a decent size metal tower CPU cooler, or consider a 240mm / 280mm AIO.

 

Where are you located?

42*C during the day sounds like you live in a country near the equator (e.g. Korea / Japan / Brazil / Egypt, etc).

No I am on a Greek Island, Cyprus.

 

Sometimes 42c sometimes 30c...

 

But in the night the temperature cools down a lot...

 

Still not normal with open case and 70c on idle ...!!!

 

And fan speeding up every 2-3 seconds and slowing down and repeating the same thing again...

 

I am going back to intel... :/ sick of these AMD factory mistakes...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, VENTUS22 said:

No I am on a Greek Island, Cyprus.

 

Sometimes 42c sometimes 30c...

 

But in the night the temperature cools down a lot...

 

Still not normal with open case and 70c on idle ...!!!

 

And fan speeding up every 2-3 seconds and slowing down and repeating the same thing again...

 

I am going back to intel... :/ sick of these AMD factory mistakes...

 

 

 

If you it is 42*C ambient, then it is possible to see 60*C ~ 70*C idle.

Again, this is with the stock AMD CPU cooler.

 

 

The stock CPU cooler speeding up and down is a known complaint.

A friend of mine had this problem with the stock CPU cooler on his 3800X doing this.

Replacing the AMD CPU cooler solved this problem

  • Lowered the CPU temperature (both idle and under load)
  • Lowered the CPU fan noise, and no more speeding up and down every 2~3 seconds

I recommend that THIS is what you should do as well.

Replace the CPU cooler with a new better €20 ~ €40 cooler.

I am not familiar with (online) PC stores, sorry... 

 

 

Switching to Intel at this time is a bad idea...especially just because of a CPU cooler fan.

To get equivalent performance to a 3600X, you will need to get something like a i5-9600 / 9600KF / 9600K or better.

The i5-9400F or lower gets destroyed by a ~$120 USD Ryzen 3300X.

You will probably get even HIGHER temperatures...because the stock CPU cooler included with Intel CPUs is even worse.

Install an Intel LGA1150 or LGA1155 CPU Processor as Fast As ...

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

  • i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

  • AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

  • Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

  • FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

 

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

 

If you it is 42*C ambient, then it is possible to see 60*C ~ 70*C idle.

Again, this is with the stock AMD CPU cooler.

 

 

The stock CPU cooler speeding up and down is a known complaint.

A friend of mine had this problem with the stock CPU cooler on his 3800X doing this.

Replacing the AMD CPU cooler solved this problem

  • Lowered the CPU temperature (both idle and under load)
  • Lowered the CPU fan noise, and no more speeding up and down every 2~3 seconds

I recommend that THIS is what you should do as well.

Replace the CPU cooler with a new better €20 ~ €40 cooler.

I am not familiar with (online) PC stores, sorry... 

 

 

Switching to Intel at this time is a bad idea...especially just because of a CPU cooler fan.

To get equivalent performance to a 3600X, you will need to get something like a i5-9600 / 9600KF / 9600K or better.

The i5-9400F or lower gets destroyed by a ~$120 USD Ryzen 3300X.

You will probably get even HIGHER temperatures...because the stock CPU cooler included with Intel CPUs is even worse.

Install an Intel LGA1150 or LGA1155 CPU Processor as Fast As ...

Too late... I returned it!

 

I am getting an intel 9600K and thats it... I had enough...

 

At least they could sell it without heatsink and state that it needs heavy cooling...

 

Intel at least is doing things correctly...

 

I just don't like having to replace original things with aftermarkets...

 

Did not expect it tho, coz with 2600 I did not have such problems..

 

Either the cooler or the CPU socket by factory mistake were bent in a way

 

that the heatsink could not sit properly on the socket....

 

only the edges of the socket would attach on on thermal paste...

 

The rest stay untouched....!!! I even patented the gigabyte's backplate adding extra space still no luck!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, VENTUS22 said:

I understand because its an X it needs a liquid cooler right?

Yes, you needs at least two Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480mm rads

maxresdefault.jpg

15 1360OK | Hyper 212 with Nocturna A12 | Z690-A Wife | Thermotake 16 GO SODINM(2 of them) | 1TB m.2 ssd card + 2TB SATA nvme | RTX3060 Ventus duel fan 12 GBi | NEXT H510 Elite | Seasonice 600watts voeding

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×