Is there a hardware USB switcher? (Reverse KVM)

cadabri
Go to solution Solved by cadabri,
On 5/31/2020 at 6:57 PM, Enderman said:

Have you tried using autohotkey or some other software to simply switch your output audio device and then just keep both plugged in?

So, my final solution ended up being just using my Stream Deck. I should have realized there was a plugin to do it for me. I just remade the logo to be applicable for me, and look a bit prettier.

photo_2020-06-02_15-27-05.jpg

Hey yall! So, I am wondering if there is any USB switcher, that functions like a reverse KVM switcher. I want to use it to switch between audio outputs, between my headphones, and speakers, which both use USB. I would like this hardware solution, instead of just switching between them on the Windows audio function so I don't have to constantly reset my default in that menu if I want to hot swap in game, and so I don't have to fiddle with the discord settings, etc. Thanks!

Have you tried using autohotkey or some other software to simply switch your output audio device and then just keep both plugged in?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I have not, though I wonder if Razer Synapse has that functionality

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, cadabri said:

Like I said, like that, but in reverse, so swapping between two peripherals for only one computer

Lol.  I was just looking at it and realizing that it operated in the revers of what you want and was coming back to correct myself.  I'm sorry about that.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

Lol.  I was just looking at it and realizing that it operated in the revers of what you want and was coming back to correct myself.  I'm sorry about that.

Its fine, that is basically all that is available though, are for swapping between two computers

2 minutes ago, cadabri said:

Its fine, that is basically all that is available though, are for swapping between two computers

Well I don't imagine why it wouldn't work both ways?  Just use a female end adapter.    

I just can't tell what USB type B connectors those are.  USB 2.0 type B or USB 3.0 type B.  The picture looks like USB 3.0 type B on a 2.0 capable device.

1 minute ago, nick name said:

Well I don't imagine why it wouldn't work both ways?  Just use a female end adapter.    

I just can't tell what USB type B connectors those are.  USB 2.0 type B or USB 3.0 type B.  The picture looks like USB 3.0 type B on a 2.0 capable device.

Though that wouldn't matter if you keep the cables it uses and then add female to female adapters.

https://smile.amazon.com/Connector-Adapter-Extension-Coupler-SuperSpeed/dp/B07FT9MDX4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=usb+female+to+female&qid=1590966942&s=electronics&sr=1-3

i dont think that'll work how you expect it to.

what i can recommend you as a very easy fix, is what i've been doing, i have a (modified) rainmeter skin that sets the default audio output to a specific device ID.

what that device ID is, is pretty much trial and error, but once it's configured (and you dont add/remove usb audio devices too much) it should pretty much keep working.

EDIT: PS: most games i'm aware of actually 'lock' onto a certain audio device upon launch, so when you're in-game both the above, and the usb swap thing may actually not work.

Why not just get a usb hub with individual switches? You can turn each peripheral off as needed. They work fine, just make sure not to but the cheapest one.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

On 5/31/2020 at 6:57 PM, Enderman said:

So, my final solution ended up being just using my Stream Deck. I should have realized there was a plugin to do it for me. I just remade the logo to be applicable for me, and look a bit prettier.

photo_2020-06-02_15-27-05.jpg