What parts should I get for my first build?

RobbyV

Budget (including currency): $2000 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Basic games like Roblox and Minecraft as well as photo and video editing.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I only need a monitor but that can be outside of the $2000 budget, I was thinking about an i7 for the CPU as I prefer Intel and also a RTX 2070 SUPER for the graphics card. I am upgrading from this laptop: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Laptops/N56JN/

1 minute ago, RobbyV said:

I was thinking about an i7 for the CPU as I prefer Intel

For a new system (not an older system with used/refurbished components from generations back), I would recommend a 3rd generation Ryzen system, currently the Ryzen CPUs are a lot better than Intel 10th generation overall and you can get more cores and threads than a similarly compared Intel 10th gen core CPU for the money.

For your aforementioned needs, maybe a Ryzen 7 3800X or Ryzen 9 3900X if you budget allows.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tLCD4D/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-36-ghz-12-core-processor-100-100000023box

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qryV3C/amd-ryzen-7-3800x-39-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000025box

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

This would do nicely. Performance close to an i9 and a decently powerful GPU. Case and PSU with room to expand, and some nice looks

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

For a new system (not an older system with used/refurbished components from generations back), I would recommend a 3rd generation Ryzen system, currently the Ryzen CPUs are a lot better than Intel 10th generation overall and you can get more cores and threads than a similarly compared Intel 10th gen core CPU for the money.

For your aforementioned needs, maybe a Ryzen 7 3800X or Ryzen 9 3900X if you budget allows.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tLCD4D/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-36-ghz-12-core-processor-100-100000023box

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qryV3C/amd-ryzen-7-3800x-39-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000025box

I know that AMD is better value but I still prefer intel.

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

This would do nicely. Performance close to an i9 and a decently powerful GPU. Case and PSU with room to expand, and some nice looks

I care about performance much more than looks and I also prefer intel.

2 minutes ago, RobbyV said:

Performance is all there. If you go Intel, you'll have to make some sacrifices. Right now you have room for a 2080/super if you can find one, but with Intel you'll have a lower performance overall 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, RobbyV said:

I know that AMD is better value but I still prefer intel.

9 minutes ago, RobbyV said:

Unless you absolutely need the maximum single-threaded performance that you can get, there's really no need to go for an Intel 10th gen Core-series CPU.

Ryzen 3rd gen is a ton better than Intel 10th gen at the moment (PCIe 4.0 support, 7nm manufacturing process instead of 14nm, more cores and threads for the money, lower heat output and energy consumption, etc).

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

here is what an Intel build would look like. Minimal performance gains for the CPU, but an extra hundred dollars which means the GPU budget has to be more limited, so less frames in your games.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

here is what an Intel build would look like. Minimal performance gains for the CPU, but an extra hundred dollars which means the GPU budget has to be more limited, so less frames in your games.

That still seems pretty good, I would prefer an nvidia graphics card so maybe a 2070 super.

6 minutes ago, RobbyV said:

That still seems pretty good, I would prefer an nvidia graphics card so maybe a 2070 super.

Forgot that the i7 doesn't include a cooler

With the cooler and the 2070 super, you're coming over budget

Again, paying more for the same performance. The 5700 XT is near identical to the 2070 super.

Primary PC:

35 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Forgot that the i7 doesn't include a cooler

With the cooler and the 2070 super, you're coming over budget

Again, paying more for the same performance. The 5700 XT is near identical to the 2070 super.

I'm maybe considering AMD but I am definitely sticking with NVIDIA for graphics.