2070 super good enough for 240hz?

sins_

My current gpu/cpu is the 2070 super with a ryzen 7 3700x. I mainly play rainbow six siege, valorant, apex legends and csgo.

Will this gpu be good enough to make use out of 1080p 240hz on these games if i turn down some settings? I'm not using g sync because of input lag.

If my fps drops below 240 will it cause any issues?

24 minutes ago, sins_ said:

If my fps drops below 240 will it cause any issues?

No. You are not going to reach that fps in hardware demanding games. 

Just now, AshRiver said:

No. You are going to reach that fps in hardware demanding games. 

I mean if I were to play a game where i coudn't achieve 240 fps would there be any noticable issues?

1 minute ago, sins_ said:

I mean if I were to play a game where i coudn't achieve 240 fps would there be any noticable issues?

No. 

1 hour ago, sins_ said:

No you're good. I run my LG 34GK950F at 144hz, but my 2080S can hardly drive that in the games I play. I usually hover between 80-100 and have zero issues.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

24 minutes ago, sins_ said:

240hz is incredibly fast. You will be fine.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

15 minutes ago, AshRiver said:

No. 

I disagree though I might be wrong and we might be talking about different things.  Critical here is that synch is NOT being used.  My understanding of high refresh without synch is that the max fps becomes rather unimportant.  It’s the MINIMUM fps that matters.  Without synch what one does is put on a frame cap of whatever you want the fps to be and then hope your minimum fps stays above that number.  Frame caps help raise minimum fps because they take some weight off the GPU so as lon as that minimum number stays high enough there won’t be any stutter or tearing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I disagree though I might be wrong and we might be talking about different things.  Critical here is that synch is NOT being used.  My understanding of high refresh without synch is that the max fps becomes rather unimportant.  It’s the MINIMUM fps that matters.  Without synch what one does is put on a frame cap of whatever you want the fps to be and then hope your minimum fps stays above that number.  Frame caps help raise minimum fps because they take some weight off the GPU so as lon as that minimum number stays high enough there won’t be any stutter or tearing.

at what fps would you start to see tearing?

13 minutes ago, sins_ said:

at what fps would you start to see tearing?

Anything under 240. Max 240 would mean almost all the time.  The problem is “fps + [number]” doesn’t necessarily mean anything.  The fps number jumps around constantly.  What would be important is how low that number goes.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Anything under 240. Max 240 would mean almost all the time.  The problem is “fps + [number]” doesn’t necessarily mean anything.  The fps number jumps around constantly.  What would be important is how low that number goes.

Wrong. Screen tearing happens when your fps has exceeded your monitor refresh rate that your monitor unable to keep up with the future frames and sync. That is why you turn on vsync when you experience screen tearing if your monitor does not have gsync, vsync, and freesync feature. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Gysnc, Vsync, and Freesync are a good alternative to vsync to have the monitor hardware sync with your game fps without any latency issue. 

3 minutes ago, AshRiver said:

Wrong. Screen tearing happens when your fps has exceeded your monitor refresh rate that your monitor unable to keep up with the future frames and sync. That is why you turn on vsync when you experience screen tearing if your monitor does not have gsync, vsync, and freesync feature. 

Gysnc, Vsync, and Freesync are a good alternative to vsync to have the monitor hardware sync with your game fps without any latency issue. 

Happens in Both directions. In this case it couldn’t happen at all in the direction you describe because ther would be a frame cap that would to at 240.

I don’t disagree about synch.  It’s a terrific feature.   Takes a whole lot of weight off a gpu trying to run smooth frames.