Dean Hall leaving BIS and DayZ

Excon

"DayZ creator Dean Hall has confirmed he will leave the survival sandbox project to found a new team."

wat wat wat. People have given him constant shit over DayZ but this is a surprise... It shocks me that he called DayZ a flawed concept after working on it for nearly 2 years (mod and SA). Atleast he is starting his own studio, be interesting to see what they make.

Full article:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/24/dayz-creator-dean-hall-to-leave-project-bohemia/

hopefully who ever takes over can send the game in the right direction  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

what happens to the SA?

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

So he couldn't take it anymore and said fudge it?

I find it very curious indeed that he just suddenly deems it a 'flawed concept'

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

hes leaving standalone to the team, hes got 3 new ideas for games and hes working on those and wants to chase that. happy for him, i really hope something as good and as new as dayz was when it came it, will come out. because rocket made a game that was pretty new to people, and it was aweosme, it was something new, i cant wait to see what he does next

I am confilicted about this. He started a project with the mod and it was a huge step to make it a SA game, but I'm hoping he sticks with the project until it's atleast out of Alpha, I held off buying the SA because I didn't really like the current state of it so maybe him leaving it to other people might be a good thing in that sense, but then again it might loose the direction he was trying to take the game in. I'm glad he is going to make his own studio and evertying that's good for him, but maybe it's a little too soon for him.

As you can tell I am conflicted because it could be both a good and a bad thing for him and DayZ as a game and franchise.

Why even start the project for the standalone if the mod was that big? Bohemia better make this game good and not leave it sitting in alpha

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

Why even start the project for the standalone if the mod was that big? Bohemia better make this game good and not leave it sitting in alpha

I agree they have made a lot of money from the Alpha both them and Dean Hall so if they don't continue they must give everyone the money back and hurt the reputation of everyone involved.

I agree they have made a lot of money from the Alpha both them and Dean Hall so if they don't continue they must give everyone the money back and hurt the reputation of everyone involved.

well I guess they don't NEED to give everyone their money back, but they will lose a lot of fans and money in the future if they don't fix it and leave it the way it is with no refunds

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

well I guess they don't NEED to give everyone their money back, but they will lose a lot of fans and money in the future if they don't fix it and leave it the way it is with no refunds

No the don't but it'd be the decent thing to do, they made millions from it. They need to do something. I don't see Deans no2 Matt (I think) Staying with DayZ I think he will follow Dean. so it's a difficult position the game is in now.

No the don't but it'd be the decent thing to do, they made millions from it. They need to do something. I don't see Deans no2 Matt (I think) Staying with DayZ I think he will follow Dean. so it's a difficult position the game is in now.

unless Dean wants to start new all by himself, which I hope not. I want his second to stay with Bohemia and make the game good but I guess time will tell

unless Dean wants to start new all by himself, which I hope not. I want his second to stay with Bohemia and make the game good but I guess time will tell

Yeah I guess we will have to wait and see, it's early days and only time will tell. I do hope that it goes somewhere because the mod was awesome.

I really dont see many problems with the way it is now. I payed 30$ for it and im content with what i got out of it.

They said it would first become beta in 2015. So they can get all the money.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

They said it would first become beta in 2015. So they can get all the money.

They said the Beta will come soon a few times before. I think it's just got on top of everyone who is working on it. It's a big project for a small team.

Mhmm it says "My work" So what does that exactly mean? He is going to leave once he's laid out his plan and chosen someone to replace him? Or does it mean until the game is done?

Hmm... I cant see this new studio producing anything good, the guys has been a disaster from day one. I mean, ok given he is not a pro (or at least was not one) and he was a modder but he was aspiring to and it was his project that was effectively backed by a major studio. I mean in IMHO you dont delay and delay a project and then fk off on holidays for a few months, come back and delay delay delay again... his new studio has zero confidence from me, a lot of proving them selves will need to be done tbh

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Hmm... I cant see this new studio producing anything good, the guys has been a disaster from day one. I mean, ok given he is not a pro (or at least was not one) and he was a modder but he was aspiring to and it was his project that was effectively backed by a major studio. I mean in IMHO you dont delay and delay a project and then fk off on holidays for a few months, come back and delay delay delay again... his new studio has zero confidence from me, a lot of proving them selves will need to be done tbh

He didn't "fuck off on holidays" or delay anywhere near as much as you make it out to be. Dean changed visions of what he wanted the standalone to be like. First, it was just going to be a simple port, but then he wanted to expand the map and add more diseases and customization options and so much more.

If you consider literally climbing Mt. Everest a "holiday", one that was planned in advance, way before the DayZ mod became popular, then you need to realize that he couldn't just cancel it because his fans wanted him to make a game. The trip cost him thousands of dollars and was more or less as much of a life goal as developing DayZ was.

Yes, the devs need to shape up and polish the standalone, but with the backing from Bohemia and the new funds, things will likely work out in due time.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

I really hope they still finish the game. It's such a great game

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

This is upsetting. I thought the man believed in what he was doing but it looks like he was just riding the wave. I really hope the project succeed without him because I would hate to see it suffer without him. I wonder if this is a psychological phenomenon this situation because literally the exact same thing happened with Notch the maker of Minecraft. Notch decided he wanted to move on under very similar circumstances.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"